New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

Why won’t it accept my answer? It happens with “enter” as well. And how come sometimes I write in romaji and it gets converted to hiragana, but sometimes not?

That’s the “meaning” side. You need to answer with the English meaning, “seven.” When it gets converted to hiragana, that’s the reading side.

The color of the bar above the input area is also different based on which it is (white is meaning, black is reading).

4 Likes

Thanks for the quick answer. Looks like I’m an idiot. Oh, well…

1 Like

Everyone has a brain fart now and then :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There are also scripts to do it automatically when you answer something incorrectly (or correctly too, if that’s your style)

1 Like

Hey everyone, another noob question here: is there a way to print out the Kanji I have learned so far, so I can show my Japanese tutor? We are using Genki (speeding through it too, I am taking N4 in July…skipping N5 as I have been here for over eight years and know most of that) and of course WaniKani teaches in a very different order.
I have seen a print out that she had that someone else did for her and I cannot seem to figure this out as when I try to print the Level pages, it comes out wrong.
Thanks!

Stick your API into https://www.wkstats.com:10001/items/wanikani , use the collapsed “Show Config” section at the top to hide whichever SRS levels you consider “not learned yet”, and print. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you this is pretty much what I am looking for. Thank you!

1 Like

Hey all, sorry more questions:
I am having occasional trouble between “Kanji reading” and “vocabulary reading”
Sometimes I put the wrong meaning, even though I know this is “technically” correct. Any tips on how to remember the proper difference not only when doing WK but also when reading sentences?
BTW, BunPro was a great suggestion, I signed up for that too and it is a good help.
Thanks!

Was the mention of “wrong meaning” a mistake? (i.e should have been wrong reading)

Or were you changing the subject, and that is an additional issue you’re having? If the latter, user synonyms are what you can do. If there’s a meaning that isn’t included, add it as a synonym and you can answer with that.

As for kanji reading vs. vocab reading, it’s kind of hard to recommend things that won’t just sound… tautological. Vocab items are words, they are the way the kanji are read when they appear in sentences. The kanji reading is more flexible, it’ll take any reading for that kanji, including ones that weren’t initially taught, but it will shake until you answer with the one from the original lesson.

I guess reading outside of WaniKani is something that will help reinforce how to read the words in their “natural” environment.

Yes, wrong reading, you are correct.

Thanks for the reply, I am sure it will come with time.

Also, I was just looking again at something I got wrong (sorry can’t type hiragana at work so can’t display it), I I think I am going to just have to remember the vocabulary mnemonics vs/. Kanji mnemonics. I know this is kind of obvious, but shoganai. Thanks again!

Hello! I’m not able to hear any audio while using WaniKani. The only time I see an audio symbol is during the quizzes, and they are grayed out.

Just checking, is this on pink (kanji) items? Or purple (vocab) items? Only purple items have audio.

1 Like

I see that you have not learned any vocabulary items yet. Only vocab have audio. Radicals don’t even have readings, so it makes sense that they would not have audio. Kanji, which you are referring to, don’t have audio because they can be read in a number of different ways and there is no one correct pronunciation for a kanji, especially not one in isolation. As such, only words have audio.

2 Likes

Hi there,

When I was on level 1 I got all the radicals first then all the kanji then the vocabulary, and then I was leveled up to level 2 before finishing all the vocabulary so I read a thread and someone said that it’s better to change the settings from Ascending then subject to Ascending then shuffle, so I did and then everything got mixed up, I got some radicals then some kanji then some vocabulary then again some radicals and kanji and vocabulary… It’s so confusing and sounds so chaotic to me, is this okay or what should I do??

1 Like

Welcome Nesrynali! :partying_face:
It is a bit chaotic at first, but that’s both good and right. By mixing Radicals, Kanji, Vocab, Meaning and Reading you prevent “review hypnosis”, or, in other words, the user zoning out and doing reviews without paying attention. It ensures you have to keep paying attention and therefore learn it better. :wink:

1 Like

It’s actually right, because I got many questions wrong :smiley: even though i almost got everything right in level 1, it was very easy and comfortable to me and even this it’s somehow easy, but I sometimes I write something I didn’t intend to because I didn’t pay attention to the kanji/Vocab and sometimes I seem to forget the answer… too many times.

So if this is the case, I’m fine with it.
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

1 Like

Been doing the program actively for a month and a half or so… thought if I started posting on and off it would help ensure I keep up with it all. Having absorbed some kanji knowledge in the past helped the beginning go smoothly, but it’s definitely all adding up at this point.

My new person question is whether it’s worth it to weed through all the app discussion. I know nothing about scripts, API, etc. I’ve been using tsurukame and wanikani desktop and have no complaints about it, but is there anything the community considers important to add independently to the experience?

2 Likes

Even if nothing is critical to your learning I’d definitely say that it’s worth looking through the available scripts to see if there is anything you might want to use. There are a lot of scripts with QOL improvements and interesting information that makes the WK experience so much better.

3 Likes