New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

Hoping that I’m not out of line, as this question isn’t directly WK-related, but I also didn’t want to bother with a whole topic!

I’m wondering whether I’m trying to do too much. I’m sure a lot would say there’s no such thing as too much, but I’m worried that I’m underestimating the workload (given the way that things like WaniKani have a way of ramping up) and may one day burn myself out if I’m not careful.

Currently my daily studies involve:

1. WaniKani Reviews, 20 Vocab/day if available, new Radicals/Kanji ASAP
  2. KameSame reviews
  3. BunPro reviews
  4. iKnow.jp reviews for non-kanji vocabulary, 10 new items a day
  5. Genki I for grammar. Each chapter’s grammar is added to BunPro once I finish the chapter. I try for at least 1 chapter a week.
  6. Native material immersion, 30-60 minutes a day (typically unsubtitled anime right now)
  7. Kanji Study app. I’ve only started looking at this one and I’m not quite sure how to integrate it yet, but I’m hoping it will help with recalling Kanji from thin air (rather than multiple choice with a keyboard).

I’ve also been using LingoDeer infrequently, but haven’t added that to the “official routine”.

All in all, this can be 2-3 hours of study a day, which I think is a decent amount. But is it the right kind of studying? Are there better things I could be spending my time on?

1 Like

Hello! I just finished learning Hiragana and came to WaniKani to learn Kanji. When I was learning Hiragana on my own, I found taking notes useful, because it was helping me to memorize and also track my progress. Is it worth it to take notes while using WaniKani, or is it fine to just use the site as is?

1 Like

That is a good amount of stuff for a study routine. If you feel comfortable with it, I’d say it’s okay for now, but be sure to monitor your workload as you progress because it will increase. That’s especially true for SRS tools you’re using, and it looks like you have quite a few on there. It’s pretty easy to feel burnout with those because you can end up in review hell, so if you’re ever feeling overburdened I’d stop doing lessons on one or more of them until it feels manageable again. You’ll want some reading practice eventually (which I suppose native material immersion can cover), and that can help in terms of building/reinforcing both vocab and grammar. And sometimes that’s the most fun way to learn. :rainbow:

Welcome! Some people take notes while doing WaniKani lessons, and some people don’t. It really depends on your learning style and what works best for you. Since there are several thousand items to learn on here, taking notes may quickly feel tiresome, but you can always try it out and see if it helps you. I personally don’t take notes because I never felt the need to write down the mnemonics or learn how to write every kanji. I find that if I envision each mnemonic, it sticks in my head well enough to help me learn each item.

There’s also a “Notes” section for each WK item where you can add your own notes, if you’d prefer to keep it all in one place. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you to both you and the person above.

1 Like

Just wanted to say I like your avatar. Marathon ftw.

Haha thank you! Great series of games.

Hi. I wanted to ask what is the difference between 丸 and 円? If i am not mistaken, they can also be like this 丸い and 円い… They both mean circle right?
How will i know which is right in describing something? It’s confusing me :sweat_smile:
Thank you in advance :smile:

丸い generally refers to spherical objects like a globe.

円い generally refers to circular objects like a circle drawn on a page. Perhaps also a physical object which is flat and round in shape (a 円 (yen) coin for example)

source: word choice - Difference between 丸い and 円い - Japanese Language Stack Exchange

3 Likes

Thank you so much :grin:

1 Like

I just started the wanikani progression a few days ago but it’s not having me learn anything new beyond the first 26 radicals. Do I have to reach some kind of mastery status on them before I can move on to learning the kanji and vocab?

p.s. I’ve not yet subscribed, but the site says levels 1-3 are meant to be free right?

Hello hello, welcome!

Yep. ^^

The first three levels are indeed free. Since there is so little in the hopper at the beginning, the SRS intervals for the first 2 levels are cut in half. Level 3 then has the regular intervals that the rest of the WK levels use. So the times mentioned in the FAQ will be different for you for the moment.

Sounds good.

I passed N2 just last month, but I never learned kanji with mnemonics so I’m curious to see if WK can help me remember the kanji with more obscure meanings that I tend to forget.

Thanks for the reply!

3 Likes

Hello. I would like to ask what is the difference between きれい and うつくしい?
All i know is that they are い and な adjective consecutively. I am really getting confused how and when to use same meaning (in english) adjectives.

Can i ask for some advise please? :sweat_smile: Thank you

きれい is clean, pretty
うつくしい is beautiful. More so than きれい.

(Also, other way around - きれい is な and うつくしい is い.)

So it’s like better (きれい) and best (うつくしい)?

Not new, but a noob question. Is there a button that opens the more info tab after answering in the review, or must I use the mouse? (・ัω・ั)

Press the F key. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I’m not new either, but THANK YOU

3 Likes

Why won’t it accept my answer? It happens with “enter” as well. And how come sometimes I write in romaji and it gets converted to hiragana, but sometimes not?