New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

The Ultimate Timeline is working again, at least for me. The Dashboard Progress Plus is an awesome script to see!

Also, Wanikani Review SRS/Level Indicator script will show you an indicator of your progress in the SRS level when doing reviews, very handy to see on that page.

1 Like

Other users have asked for this thread to be pinned previously…
And recently I am thinking since it’s fallen from the top of the Requesting Help section (down to about the middle)… and more new-people-type questions are being asked as separate threads, I tend to agree.

Wondering if we can pin this please, @anon20839864 ?

1 Like

Pinned. It’s also a wiki now.

4 Likes

Thank you, Kristen!

To anyone interested in updating the wiki… let’s keep it as simple as we can. Let’s not make it too big or unwieldy. Perhaps with use of the Details feature!

I made a space at the bottom for a new FAQ. Thought of doing so after this thread, even though the answer is in the FAQ, obviously that guy didn’t see it.

I think new common answers can go under my link to the old Unofficial FAQ. I may just copy+paste some answers from there over here, too. (Not sure yet).
I wouldn’t be against having some Forum-specific (aka Discourse is weird) answers in the FAQ section either, but I’d prefer those at the bottom under a “forum” setting.

EDIT: I wonder if even though this is pinned in the WK Requesting Help section, why it seems like nobody sees it…?

I’m getting frustrated. I’ve recently started this, like days recently. I’m not that good at it but I’m resilient and I like a challenge. I know the “read” part quizzes is typing out the hiragana to create the sound like ‘i-chi’ and I know ‘enter’ and ‘ten’ but the damn thing tells me I’m wrong and it shows me how it is and it’s the same exact thing that I put down like ??? am I missing something or is something the matter with this?

You mentioned ten and enter, so I’m guessing you’re not paying close attention to the size of the ゆ.

じゆう =/= じゅう

にゆう =/= にゅう

1 Like

@anon20839864, now that we have a General WaniKani section, I was wondering if I could move this pinned topic to be pinned there rather than in the Requesting Help section. I think that a lot of people are missing it because they have to go into a category first (even though I put it here initially because it made the most sense).

What are your thoughts? Also, can Members actually even move pinned topics? (Can pinned topics be moved?)

Does anyone else who frequently gives out help have any thoughts on this? Anyone who is new think this would be more useful?

Thanks a bunch, all! ^^

If you think it should be moved then try moving it? You have the ability

I do, however, moving it somewhere as prominent as that I feel needs permission…??? Or at least some sort of consensus. If that makes sense.

Well, with no thoughts from Kristen about it… and no other objections, I’m going to move this now.
I guess Kristen can just move it back if it doesn’t belong there/isn’t helpful.

Here goes!

1 Like

We usually don’t work on weekends, fyi (if we did we’d all go insane).

Anyway, you guys have powers for a reason - feel free to use them (within reason, please don’t go crazy or we’ll have to take them away).

3 Likes

Thanks, Kristen. I do work on weekends… So it’s hard for me to remember that most people have “regular” 9-5 lifestyles, especially when the forums are international and people are up at weird hours.
^_^;

Haha, I guess that makes sense, though.

Does anyone happen to know whether there’s an Anki deck that covers the 常用漢字 not included in Wanikani?

And does anyone know where can I find @hinekidori’s Anki deck stuff on the new forum?

Perhaps you can find what you’re looking for here: https://community.wanikani.com/t/Some-Supplemental-Material/8121

1 Like

Also this. The old link was bad. I’ll see if Hinekidori can update it.

Does anyone have a copy of 10k WK Breakdown they can link to? - #8 by alexbeldan

Edit: Ohhh… the threads are archived… can’t be edited.

1 Like

Great thanks. I’ve bookmarked that.

Here’s the direct link to Hine’s list of extra kanji: MEGA

1 Like

Hello,
I have a question that is probably a silly one (I never used a forum so sorry if I put this in the wrong place).

Q. How do you say the っ sound? When I see kanji as romaji the letter before is repeated (待って=matte, 真っ赤=makka, 切符=kippu) but when I heard it pronounced it sounded more like the letter before it gets elongated.

I will also add two observeration. I use the WaniKani via a mobile and there is a delay when characters change to hiragana. So since I type fast even if I hit all the keys for ここのつ in a non-Japanese keyboard, it can come out as ここおつ. Also if in a lesson, the last kanji page shows words that can be made using this kanji, but if the word is longer that 3 symbols, only first three remain in the box while the rest of the symbols wind up under the box so maybe rescalling the word for mobile might be a good idea.