New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

I’m still looking for the answer. If you want exact timings I can start a free account and get the timings for you? I can’t seem to find exacts anywhere @Shiawase

The schedule for items in general seems to be:
4H > 8H > 12H > 23H > 1D, 23H > 1W > 2W > 1M > 4M

Here’s the update when they sped it up:

WaniKani Blog - Out of Beta

and Koichi

https://community.wanikani.com/t/Does-it-start-this-slowly/2621/19?u=alexbeldan

3 Likes

The time from last apprentice stage to guru used to be 3 days for Kanji and Vocab, 2 days for Radicals .
But it was shortened to 2 days for all items (Kanji and Vocab included) a few months ago.

EDIT: SRS from lessons to Guru:
Lesson | 4h | Apprentice1 | 8h | Apprentice2 | 1day | Apprentice3 | 2days | Guru

3 Likes

I agree… The ‘radicals’ on this site are not actual Kanji radicals, nor do they use the actual meanings. Sometimes it’s a bit frustrating as I would like to try and learn the real meanings…

2 Likes

But don’t you learn the real meanings when you learn the kanjis made up of those radicals?

1 Like

Yeah I learn the real meanings of the Kanji, but I don’t learn the real meaning of the radical. Which is what I would like to learn too…

1 Like

Don’t fret over it too much… radicals’ English labels are not definitive; different sources might call them different things. Surely not some of the sillier ones WK calls them, but in many cases there’s reason to consider one name better than another.

1 Like

Real radical names (in Japanese) are nothing special. I just call them ~ with little tags like 作り at the end; or just call by Kanji’s name.

You had better focus on remembering the Kanji.

Also, RTK faked radical’s names as well.

1 Like

Oh. I didn’t realise that the radicals actually had different meanings from the kanji. I just assumed it was the same as the kanji but that WK gives them different mnemonic names. My bad.

1 Like

That is the only part that’s changed. Apprentice 4 (when correct turns your item Guru) which was 3 days later is now only 2 days later.

1 Like

what is the best way to

3 Likes

The best way to do what?

2 Likes

The best way to is to

7 Likes

Only if you then

3 Likes

This way ---->

2 Likes

Hi,

I’m new and I have a question about the SRS: I read that you need to answer radicals correctly after a break of two days to guru them. I’ve started with wanikani two days ago and did the radical review as soon as it was possible to do so. Does this mean that I’m slowing down my progress? I’ve just realised that I kept the time son between reviews as short as possible.
And is there some kind of progress bar that shows how often I have to repeat them to get from apprentice to guru?

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Doing them as soon as they appear is the fastest way to do it. Don’t worry. It’s just that in normal levels (after the first two, which are artificially sped up), the last stage before guru is 2 days.

There’s currently no obvious indication of what stage of the SRS you are at, except the major categories.

You can use the ultimate timeline script to keep an eye on when your next reviews will appear. Note: it’s currently broken (as in, like in the last few hours) due to a change with the API or something, but it should be working soon I’d bet.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick response! I thought I was doing it wrong because I’ve reviewed them quite a few times already :wink:
How does this script work? Do you have a link to a guide by any chance?

1 Like

How to install a userscript
WaniKani Ultimate Timeline

1 Like

Thanks! (^∇^)

1 Like

Actually @rfindley has a great user script that shows the steps: Dashboard Progress Plus. Under the Radicals and Kanji on the main page, you can click to see more… This script will show individual mini-progress bars around each item’s dots. Pretty cool.

EDIT: I use Timeline and Dashboard Progress Plus. : D

1 Like