New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

Hello there again. As I said before, I can recognise hiragana and katakana slowly but surely. Should I start practice writing them down to memorise the stroke order before digging into kanji ? I tried a few vowels and they looks really bad x))

Recognition is all you need to get started. Recall will come with time and practice, but there’s no need to hold back on learning Kanji for it

1 Like

I’ve read on some god-forgotten site that writing is not as important as the ability to read. Sounds false as for me.

I didn’t say it’s not important, just that you don’t need to know how to write it to begin with kanji

If you’re like me, learning to write may reinforce the recognition, so I used Anki decks for hiragana/katakana when I was learning them. Now I have a WK-ordered Anki writing deck for kanji that supplements my WK study.

Writing is objectively less important than reading. That doesn’t mean it can’t be helpful. It’s just that reading will always be the thing that you can do better and can get more benefit from.

7 Likes

hello guys, just wanna say I’m new here xD

Hello there, welcome!

Why did I get my congrats email for reaching level 2, when I reached level 3? Is level 2 the new level 3? I’m a bit perplexed…

1 Like

Level 3 is the new Level 2…

A long, long time ago, only levels 1 and 2 were free.

@anon20839864 @koichi @CyrusS

Some of the automation should be fixed, I guess. XD

5 Likes

LOL! Thanks!

There’s a bug with the email client that causes it to lag a level behind with those auto-messages. It only happens with some people, though, and I’m not sure why. It’s rather annoying. :unamused:

Anyway, that means you’ll probably be getting your level 3 congrats message around when you hit level 4…

2 Likes

That reminds me of an interesting story where a university IT department got a complaint from the head of the statistics department saying that they couldn’t send email more than 500 miles. [true story here]

8 Likes

That is very strange, but totally sounds like the kind of thing my friend (who was the head of my old University’s IT department/oversaw the servers, and taught basic web design classes as well) had to deal with. It’s funny, he did our anime club’s website and taught me some basic PHP back then when I took it over for a year.

XD

Good times…

3 Likes

How can I edit a wiki? I’m on level 2 trust level, but I still can’t find how to do it…

There’s an edit button to the right of the REPLY button

2 Likes

Does anyone know the word limit per post?

There’s no word limit, but there is a character limit. The largest character string Discourse supports is 1GB, but the maximum is likely less. The largest single post I can think of is 43,229 characters.

1 Like

Cool.
Cheers!
^ _ ^

Hey so I have a question about burns. I’m on level 12 (just started it) and I have 1,093 Enlightened and 0 Burned. Is that normal?? I saw one person say they were on level 12 and had 430 burns… I just wanted to ask in case there’s a glitch or something.