New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

Can you take a picture of the screen that shows the radicals for the level? From the dropdown boxes at the top.

1 Like

Could it simply be that your account upgrade (from free user to subscribing user) was delayed due to your paiement not being realized / taken into account yet?

1 Like

The radicals are all guru’d now, so it just shows 100%, but when i moved up to level 4 I had kanji lessons first and no radicals until a few days later.

I’m not sure, but I got level 4 kanji when I subscribed, I just got half of the kanji before I got any radicals

1 Like

What did you mean by the kanji aren’t coming up in your reviews to guru them? They’re taking longer than the 4 hours, 8 hours, 24 hours, 2 days pattern?

2 Likes

The second round of kanji unlocked really late so i had to wait for the normal spacing to play out from that point - about 4 days longer than usual

1 Like

There’s always two sets of kanji every level (maybe starting at 4?) … The kanji you get right at the beginning of the level, and the kanji you unlock as you guru the radicals that you got at the beginning of the level. Perhaps this is what’s confusing you and there’s nothing actually wrong yet?

How many days have you been on level 4 now?

2 Likes

@elgillie, It’s a little unclear whether the problem is a fault with the system or how you are expecting it to work.

When you levelled up to 4, many items were simultaneously unlocked. Some are radicals. Some are kanji. Some are vocabulary. When you start lessons, these items are presented in RANDOM order.

Let’s pretend that you have your lessons in batches of 5. The first batch may contain, 1 radical, 2 kanji and and vocabulary. It would rarely be 5 radicals. I am wondering if this is what is causing you to think that your radicals did not get unlocked as soon as you levelled up to 4.

As others have already stated, the full list of level 4 kanji is not unlocked at the same time. You get about half of them first. The other half will be unlocked when the related radicals have been guru’ed.

Some people don’t like waiting for the radicals to randomly appear because it slows down the rate at which they can learn new kanji. So they install a “reorder script”. The reorder script can be used to force the radicals, kanji and vocabulary items to appear in your desired order.

1 Like

@wunderbunny

Yeah you guys are probably right, the first 3 levels I always got a lot of radicals mixed with kanji in my first batch of lessons, probably just luck.

I didn’t see any radicals at all in my lessons for maybe 3 days, but when I checked them, they’re showing that they unlocked on my first day at level 4. I didn’t get my second batch of kanji until I had gurud the related radicals, which by the time I saw them took 7 days from the start of level 4. So I’m 11 days into this level and I’ve more than a day to go before I get a kanji review and a chance to level up.

That’s 4 days longer than level 1, 2 and 3.

1 Like

Well, unless you were doing all your reviews ASAP and on time, that’s actually a pretty typical level up!
Especially because the SRS timings for levels 1-3 are accelerated to take half as long, since soo many people complained they were so slow. (At least for radicals). When I was levels 1-3, only 1 and 2 were accelerated. And even then, I think it was only radicals (I do think kanji are now also accelerated). So all of this could be messing with your perception of what’s “normal”.

1 Like

I tend to do my reviews ASAP throughout the day on the app, but I guess I’ll just temper my expectations. I thought most people did a level a week, or so, but as long as nothing is wrong in the system then I’m happy to just take the levels as they come.

Thanks!

1 Like

You should be able to do about a level a week, but you have to get those radicals started immediately. If you’re not using the reorder script, that means basically doing every lesson as soon as it’s available.

1 Like

Another question, just took a closer look at my user Profile. What is this Profile / User Card Background? Is there a specific size requirement? It only says that the width will be downsized, but what about height? Any examples? I’m just to curious on all parts of the site haha

1 Like

It shows the center of the image. So make sure the center is what you want displayed. It will also display more of the pic in the actual card/background than in the preview in preferences. Just keep playing with it until it’s what you want.

1 Like

Thanks for the hint. I will play around with it a bit later and see what works :sunny:

1 Like

Thanks for this! Already has helped a lot!!

1 Like

I have done the 26 radicals lesson and reviewed it twice, but there is no indication of how many times I have to keep doing it, for them to become guru level. The level progression bar is completely static.

Is that how it is supposed to work?

1 Like

Yes, what you’re seeing is what you should expect. The review schedule goes Lesson > 4 hours > 8 hours > 24 hours > 2 days (you are now at guru).

The guide has more info, but the timeline has been adjusted for the other categories of items since the guide was written. https://www.wanikani.com/guide

1 Like

Ehh, yeah. That level progression bar only goes up as your items hit guru. Every item hitting guru makes it go up.
You need to review each item 4 times (correctly) for it to reach guru and to see your first kanji. Double check the faq, posted in the OP. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I updated my OP to include some links relating to On’yomi and Kun’yomi to explain things a bit. If anyone knows of a better topic discussing it, or can point to a better post (than the two I’ve linked) I’ll be happy to sub those out and/or add it.

1 Like

Eyy, not a new person, but the SRS was changed within the last year or so, right?

I couldn’t figure out where the new SRS schedule is.

Lesson > Apprentice 1 > Apprentice 2 > Apprentice 2 > Guru > Guru2 > Master > Enlightenment > Burned.

NGL, mostly interested in the area from Lessons to Guru 1.

1 Like