New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

You make me happy. Someone who is as slow as me :wink:

1 Like

You’re welcome!

Let’s eventually finish WK together!

3 Likes

My recommendation would be buying a one month membership after completing the free levels. That will give you a bit longer to properly get in the swing of what it is like to have new lessons and reviews, and the older stuff coming back for more spaced out reviews. Plus it’s easy to be motivated for 3 weeks doing the free levels, but the novelty has worn off when you are approaching the 2 month mark. That will help you to get a feel of whether lifetime or yearly is the right thing for you. Hope you are enjoying learning!

1 Like

Hopefully the pics work but does anyone know why the kanji/vocab 広/広い appears to have been skipped as I go past it’s level and would that mean any future vocal with that kanji being skipped too?

Thanks

Strange, do you have both radicals pile and mullet in guru? It’s possible to go up a level with 90% of kanji, so you can level up with some radicals missing.

Yes, just checked. Mullet is at guru and pile at master.

And 広 has just popped up as a lesson. Thanks to whoever did that.

I hope is a good place where to post
I am doing my kanji lesson but when the quiz pops out it doesn’t recognize my answer as correct, inputting the reading, here’s the screenshot

thanks to anyone who can help me!

Choose one reading and leave out the comma. One is all you need.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot that was super fast!

1 Like

We live in these forums. Welcome!

4 Likes

I bet that if I stick with Wanikani I’ll be the same (':

3 Likes

Perhaps it’s one that has gotten moved or removed?

Sometimes it’s good to check the change logs, and then rfindley can take care of it and update the site when he has a spare moment.

EDIT: Seems someone at WaniKani took care of it, possibly Viet.

Hi, I’m new around here. I’ve been using Wanikani for a couple of weeks now. The reviews were really slow at first, but they’ve started to pick up. Now though I think I’m starting to get into territory where I might be feeling overwhelmed. Right now I have 29 reviews and 67 new lessons available. I’m not sure what I should tackle first at this point. Should I get my reviews out the way and try to do a few lessons? Is it normal to have a stack that high? Because it’s making me feel like I’m behind a good degree. It wasn’t like this a couple of weeks ago. The pace now has definitely had a significant boost. Any advice? Thanks.

Always go for the reviews first. Learned items take priority because you want to maintain what you have already learned.

It isn’t that high, compared to later on. Focus on getting used to the WaniKani system early on. I think this is really important. Read the mnemonics, take your time during the lessons. Follow the SRS intervals.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response. I started with the reviews first.

By the way, can you explain what an intransitive verb is? Or the difference between a transitive and intransitive verb is? I tried looking it up online, and I’m confused with sample sentences I found. I’m talking about just English. It all looks the same to me.

I think this is a good summary of it:

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/in-transitive

Don’t worry about being 100% perfect about it though. I certainly still do mistakes once in a while because of this. Know the basic concepts, pay attention and check if a verb is transitive or intransitive when you’re learning it. With time, you’ll get it right :slight_smile:

EDIT: Oh by the way, make sure to understand the particles first.

3 Likes

Ok thanks for the help.

2 Likes

Yes… I have around 475 reviews… (although I haven’t kept up with them for a while), and something like 80 lessons sitting waiting for me.

You can choose how many lesson you want to do… You can do as few as three at a time, I believe (customizable in your settings).

1 Like

Hey!

I just wanted to say hello to everyone, I’m new to the WaniKani community and I’m having a lot of fun so far learning Japanese! :grin:

Cheers,

Glendon

2 Likes