New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

Tried drag and drop (since it was one of the reasons why discourse was hyped before the move). It didn’t work. But totally missed that upload part.

Still not working. What いったい am I doing wrong?

And just as I was pressing enter before the linked text it turned into the gif on preview! Wohoo!

3 Likes

It takes a few seconds for gifs to upload

1 Like

I’m so impatient when it comes to not knowing and needing to just try out.

2 Likes

Pretty sure you can also just post link to gifs and it will embed automagically

1 Like

Also you can just leave the link for it (URL) in the reply on it’s own line and it will show up.

Finally, there’s also BBCode with the [\img] tags, or straight up HTML that also works. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you!

5 Likes

I have weird question, and no idea where to ask it :smiley:
I am pretty sure I read about this somewhere before but can’t find it. In Tofugu Thursday this week there was a mention about fan tweet about getting letter from WK. Like, snail mail. With a postcard and sticker.
Can anybody tell me who gets the letter? I am curious now :smiley:

1 Like

There was a thread about it here!
https://community.wanikani.com/t/Gimme-Your-Mailing-Address-says-KoichiEnd-of-freemium-journey/15751

It was happening for a lot of people as they went from level 3 to 4 and subscribed… but some of us who have subscribed for a long time were like “hey, can we get some too?” and they did it for us.

3 Likes

See, I knew I read this before. My search-fu is weak.
So I didn’t get the postcard just because I am old?! :wink:

But I can supposedly go and beg for it at hello@wanikani.com, so maybe I’ll do that :slight_smile:

Thanks

2 Likes

You’re welcome.
Not sure if it’s still a thing, but it’s worth a try. I got my postcard and magnet. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How did I miss this thread last week… I’m… sad… I missed all the fun!!!

2 Likes

Hey all, I had two question as one of those newbies :wink:

First, is there a specific task you need to complete before you are able to create your own thread? Didn’t see anything in the FAQ about it, unless I over read something or I read the wrong one.

Second I started my Kanji or well right now Radical learning here and I got a question about the Radical Enclosure (勹). On Wiki it is stated as “embrace, wrap frame”, while enclosure is 囗 (please don’t confuse with mouth 口). Is there a reason for the difference, or is it just a language thing (I am German so I might also missunderstand some language aspects here; For example I needed to figure out what a barb is, but would have understood it if it would have been called hook). Either way, I’m sure there is a reason why specific translations were chosen, I’m just curious :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help, and happy learning.

1 Like

Wikipedia is referring to actual radicals, even though the English names aren’t official anywhere, technically. On WK, they aren’t true radicals, they’re essentially just “kanji parts”. The parts are given names based on how the creators thought they would work well with the mnemonics provided. Sometimes this means they don’t match the names seen elsewhere.

4 Likes

New users don’t have access to everything. It takes maybe a day and some general forum presence before you can post, I believe.

WK has its own names for their “radicals”, nothing to give any thought to. Just remember the WK names if you’re going to use WK.

2 Likes

Thanks for the extended info. I wasn’t quite sure on it as this is the first time I do an extensive training on Kanji, so everything is a little new for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Andulien

Have you been studying Japanese in general for awhile?

1 Like

For close to half a year now in an evening class once a week (as I have a regular 40h job). However Kanji has been only a small part of it and not really been explained. It has so far just been - we learn those that we pass by in the sentences. Hence why I now decided to slowly get a bigger grip on Kanji and start here from scratch once more to get the full grasp. As such I stumbled on this site as someone recommended this to me, so I thought I’ll give it a shot :smiley: I sure am enjoying the journey. However it sometimes seems that there is soooo much information and different ways of doing out there that it can be a bit overwhelming, hence why I try to force myself always a little bit back to take it step by step.

PS: We are using Minna no Nihongo as a book so reading hiragana and katakana is no problem for me.
PPS: Sorry also if my English is not completely correct as I am actually german :wink:

1 Like

@Andulien
There is a ton of resources out there!!

A ton of free ones that are fantastic as well.

I’ve found that the best thing to do is just use what helps you the most. I like Wanikani because it motivates me to get things done. Same reason I took 2 semesters in Japanese as well. Without some type of structure I have so much going on and so much I want to do that it falls by the wayside.

It’s good to have you here. As you’ve probably found out, the community generally is helpful and pleasant so we hope to see you around.

(* ^ ω ^)

1 Like

So this seems to have caused an issue with my levelling up - I’m 9 days into this level, my kanji are mostly at 100% accuracy but they’re not coming up in the reviews to guru them. My radicals didn’t unlock when i got to this level so it has taken a really long time to get all the kanji adding maybe 4 days to this level :sweat:

1 Like

@alexbeldan
Yea there sure is great stuff out there but you gotta just sift through a lot at first haha

I sure can relate to the structure part. Way way back when I still went to the university I loved procrastination so I like when there is at least a little bit of structure that you can tag along hence why I am also taking some classes right now to get a good foundation and also pronunciation. Good is that we have a native Japanese teacher :slight_smile:

Either way, let’s wait up on those first three chapters here at Wanikani and see how I like it :slight_smile: So far so good.As for the community so far so pleasant :wink: I really enjoy a kind an active community makes things a lot more fun when you have others that are working on the same challenge.

2 Likes