New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

Ugh! The number of review items I’ve dropped because I was moving too quickly.

I need to learn this lesson.

1 Like

This page is so useful :slight_smile:️ Yay I already know Hiragana and Katakana and I can’t wait to learn some Kanji :star2::smile:

Hi! Hiba here, just thought I’d try this app out. So far it’s pretty fun.

1 Like

Welcome! Enjoy your stay!

Hey guys,

Obviously I’m new here but I’m glad to I found this website, seems extremely useful. However, I am having a bit of trouble with the user interface. Namely, two things:

1. There doesn’t seem to be any indicator when new lessons will be available. Is the only way to unlock lessons to “unlock” them?
  2. More importantly, the “Level 1 Radicals Progression” bar is constantly empty even though I’ve done 2 reviews so far. What exactly are these bars representing?

Thanks for the help!

Best regards,
Damir H.

@DamirH, things happen slowly at level 1.

1. There is an indicator. It is the grey circle above the word “lessons” at the top of the WaniKani screen. Click on the pink circle alligator image if you can’t see the “lessons” indicator. If the circle has 0 in it, you have no new lessons yet.

2. You need to review the same radical FOUR times before it shows on the progression bar.

You do not seem to understand how progression works on WaniKani. I suggest you read the following userguides and FAQs.

WaniKani Official User guide

WaniKani Official FAQ

Unofficial FAQ - questions not found in the Official FAQ.

Heya, I’ve read those but wasn’t quite clear that “progress” means “guru level”. Thanks for the clarification!

Where do i find my API?

On the ‘accounts’ link below, which is also accessible via the method @aga07a described below.

Click “Menu” in the top right, then choose “Settings.” From there, click the “Account” tab. That should get you there.

ありがとうございました。

Hello! So I’m glad to finally begin my kanji learning journey here. Originally I studied kanji out of a kanji learners book known as “The Kodansha Kanji Leaner’s Course”. What I did was add the kanji and meaning to a flashcard, then in separate flashcards I asked for the readings, and then vocab words. I would then practice writing it. So for the first 10 it seemed to work, but then once I got to the 90th kanji I felt burnt out and annoyed. I added like 5 new kanji a day and adding that all by myself was exhausting and life got in the way. So here I am now. I knew about WaniKani before but I didn’t want to say goodbye to my kanji learner’s book, but I don’t feel so sad to part with it now. Sure it’s a bit of a pain having to start over again and relearn kanji but I really like the method so far and the book I was using didn’t even teach me the radicals. I feel like my foundation is being improved. Ok so that’s a bit of a background on my noobish journey but my real question is what do the turtles mean again? I loved the comical introduction and tour thingy but I forgot what they mean. So the one with the design symbolizes how you burned your knowledge into a shell? I want to know the mystical story. (Sorry if this is a novel, my English teacher always told me I write a bit too much and I should stop…but I can’t…I just rant…it’s my nature.)

1 Like

To be fair, the WK radicals aren’t the true radicals; they’re just relatively common forms in the kanji. The true radicals are listed here:
https://kanjialive.com/214-traditional-kanji-radicals/

That’s not to say that WK’s radicals aren’t useful. There’s a ton of memorable mnemonics that capitalize on them.

Then again, some words just stick… (金玉)

2 Likes

WOW! That’s so interesting! I never knew that!!! ありがとうございます!

Stupid question, but is there a breakdown anywhere on number of WK vocab terms by type (ie. nouns, verbs, ect.)?

I’ve never heard of one, but since the data is on the pages, someone could probably make something that strips that information and compiles it into a spreadsheet or something.

Going off of what Leebo’s said, I have a feeling someone already has… likely rfindley or polv, I’d expect. Try searching it, or perhaps requesting such a table in the API section?

Yup. Sqlite database.

@ccookf,
I’ve seen your message on the stats thread, but haven’t had adequate time to respond yet… coming soon.

No worries. After thinking about it I realized getting the data was something I should try on my own just for the experience and practice. I’ve managed to collect the specific results I was looking for. Since one of my goals was aligned with the purpose of your stats tool I popped that question there.

So, for anyone interested here is a general breakdown of terms. If anyone wants a copy of the full data you can find it here.

Count   Part of Speech                  Sample
6       Adjective               入り口, 大した, 古い, 悠々, 依然, 敢然
127     Adverb                  上, 又, 中々, 少し, 先ず, 一気, 主に, 多分, 色々, 古来, 後で
9       Conjunction             有り難う, 何故なら, 及び, 為に, 癖に, 更に, 物真似, 尚, 故に
18      Counter                 〜回, 〜位, 束, 〜冊, 〜枚, 〜人, 舗, 〜匹, 株, 〜把, 票
43      Expression              下さい, 気に入る, 仕方がない, 何日, 全日本, 首になる, 自由, 始めに, 運がいい, 気を付けて, 初めに
563     Godan verb              入る, 上がる, 上る, 下がる, 出す, 正す, 生む, 立つ, 分かる, 切る, 太る
153     I adjective             大きい, 小さい, 丸い, 円い, 正しい, 久しい, 太い, 少ない, 広い, 早い, 多い
267     Ichidan verb            入れる, 上げる, 下げる, 出る, 生まれる, 生きる, 立てる, 分ける, 切れる, 止める, 外れる
9       Interjection            申し申し, 何, 今日は, 御免, 否, 万歳, 謹賀新年, ご覧, 恐い
331     Intransitive verb       入る, 上がる, 上る, 下がる, 出る, 生まれる, 生きる, 立つ, 分かる, 切れる, 太る
447     Na adjective            下手, 上手, 生, 久しぶり, 大切, 人気, 元気, 本気, 平気, 一本気, 不足
950     No adjective            上, 左, 生, 白人, 久しぶり, 中古, 市立, 休止, 先, 名字, 太字
4834    Noun                    人, 二人, 一人, アメリカ人, フランス人, 力, 三人, 上, 下, 口, 入り口
27      Numeral                 一, 一つ, 七, 七つ, 九, 九つ, 二, 二つ, 八, 八つ, 十
12      Prefix                  又, 生, 分, 半, 先, 各〜, 某, 超〜, 暫定, 片〜, 猛〜
21      Pronoun                 自分, 何, この辺, 君, 私, お前, 己, 奴, 僕, 彼ら, 吾輩
62      Proper noun             ふじ山, 日本, シアトル市, 九州, 中国, 四国, 米国, 中東, 広島, 東京都, 京都
129     Suffix                  上, 子, 〜才, 分, 切る, 外れ, 市, 先, 早々, 号, 行き
1236    Suru verb               中止, 休止, 耳打ち, 花見, 不足, 代用, 自立, 入学, 休学, 作文, 作用
458     Transitive verb         入れる, 上げる, 下げる, 出す, 正す, 生む, 立てる, 分ける, 切る, 引く, 止める

edit: I should point out that data is what’s listed on WK only
edit2: I should also mention that terms can have multiple parts of speech listed and will appear in each category.

3 Likes