New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

Ah, I see. I’ll take a listen when I get to work later.

26% is indeed very low. Maybe take more time when learning new vocab to help stick it into your brain. Also try to do your reviews often, the less you wait the higher the chances you will remember what you learnt a few hours ago.
For global rules on how to use on’ or kun’yomi, there have been plenty of explanations in this thread already, just scroll up a little :wink:

I feel less worried now; I got about 70% on this mornings reviews of 60 items or so. I will take more time with the lessons in the future. And yes, I will read about on’ and kun’yomi. Thanks!

Thank you! So much to learn and pronunciation is a whole new ball of wax, it seems, that I’ll gently review until I feel more comfortable with kanji. Since I just squeed over the fact that I can count to ten, I’m not in a rush. :slight_smile:

I also agree - there’s at least 5 or 6 radicals in the first unit of lessons that are incorrect to call “radicals.”

As a total noob, why aren’t they radicals? Is there some official list or definition of a radical? Are they different from KaniWani radicals, and should I worry about them?

There’s a list of 214 traditional radicals developed in China and pretty universally adopted for use in both Chinese and Japanese dictionaries as an indexing tool. But, uh, they’re not very clear for beginners and need some streamlining for a new, adult learner. The traditional radicals and their meanings and names are most useful for looking up kanji using a Japanese dictionary, not an English-Japanese dictionary. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangxi_radical

1 Like

The traditional radicals work differently in that each kanji only has one of them. They’re not meant to be used for remembering all the parts of a kanji.

You don’t need to worry about them unless you a) want to use a paper kanji dictionary, b) want to describe kanji to Japanese people without writing the kanji, or c) want to take the Kanji Kentei (a kanji proficiency exam for natives)

3 Likes

As far as WaniKani goes, you should think of those dictionary radicals and what WaniKani calls radicals as completely different things. WaniKani radicals are building blocks designed to make it easier to learn kanji initially. The traditional radicals are only useful for… well what Leebo just replied with.

2 Likes

Is this where I ask the new people questions?

1 Like

I think I’ve caused enough trouble here :laughing: I just really like the kanji and I don’t mind going through fifty extra steps to try to understand them. Taking the kanji kentei, even just the baby levels, has been bouncing around in the back of my head . . . Anything that gets you to 2000 kanji is as good as any other method

What’s your favorite color? Any hobbies?

If you want to take that test, then more power to you. That’s just all the more reason to think of the traditional radicals and WaniKani radicals as completely separate things. You’ll have to learn the traditional ones elsewhere and the WaniKani radicals are only a tool specific to the site itself.

My favorite color is pink, the color of Apprentice.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying! I won’t worry about learning them, but now I know what they are at least.

If you like kanji, and you don’t mind tests (or you’re really weird and love them like me) then I highly recommend the kanji kentei.

I took level 5 on Sunday and I really enjoyed the experience. As soon the application period for the next test starts in July I’m going to sign up for level 4.

1 Like

So im forgetting what the radicals are called if it looks the same but is different like 丁 i remember it as street and forgot it was nail. What should i do?

Make street a synonym on the nail radical. You can do it on the item page.

1 Like

Oh i didnt know you could do that thanks!

So, um, just a follow up a few days after starting. I already love WaniKani, even if it’s just a review so far, because typing out responses reminds me to SLOW DOWN when reading kanji.

1 Like