New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

Am I going cuckoo flipping bananas or did there used to be a massive pinned thread of really useful resources?

This one?

https://community.wanikani.com/t/the-what-do-i-do-now-thread-free-resource-list/6534

2 Likes

Do you mean the additional resources thread?

2 Likes

Hi everyone! I’ve just reached level 5 and that’s great. The thing is I didn’t receive one of that awesome emails from Koichi and the team. I believed I would receive it every time I level up. It was so cute and inspiring! Could you please advise me how often it will be sent in the future?

1 Like

I think you only receive those emails in the very beginning – when you’re nearing the end of the free levels (1-3) and then I think when you reach level 4, with a breakdown of what to expect as you keep leveling up

You don’t get them for every level unfortunately!

Edit: BUT, here’s to your level up @Sutego ! ^^ :tada::zero::five::tada:

com-add-text

3 Likes

Yup, that’s right. The email every level is only for the first 4 levels. After that, we let you roam wild and free :wink:

Feel free to drop us a line by email anytime, however! We’re always happy to share some words of encouragement or provide strange gifs on request.

7 Likes

That’s so sweet, thank you! :heart_eyes: Have a wonderful day.

2 Likes

Please reply to me with a strange gif!

1 Like

That’s the one, thanks! For some reason I couldn’t see it at all

1 Like

Unless you meant by email. I didn’t see a .gif request in the inbox, but if I missed it I apologize.

6 Likes

So I’ve done a few reviews and I’ve answered 100% of the questions correctly so how do I move on to the next lesson?

Hey Dharok! New lessons start unlocking once you’ve gotten some of those first 26 radicals to “Guru” status, which takes a cumulative four correct answers. With the spacing intervals in the SRS, it takes a couple days to get there.

Check out the FAQ for a breakdown on leveling and the SRS mechanic.

1 Like

Okay! Thanks so much :slight_smile:

Happy to help! (◕‿◕)

1 Like

hello everyone!!!

Hello, jcdoc!

Welcome to WaniKani!:sparkles: Do you want to introduce yourself to the community in a new thread?

What’s a good number of items to have in apprentice and guru? Is there an optimal balance? I feel myself beginning to stumble already with 79 apprentice and 315 guru.

1 Like

I think people usually focus on their apprentice count, but it really just depends on you and what you find to be comfortable for you :thinking:

I know that’s a pretty generic response, but everyone will tell you a different range that was comfortable for them, it really just depends on the individual – I think the common response is to keep apprentice under 100, but for me it was more like 100-150 as I kept leveling

So if you find 79 to be a stumbling point for you, I’d say to try to keep it somewhere between 50-100 if you’re comfortable with that pace and see if that works out for now – if you still find yourself struggling, keep it more towards 50, and if you find yourself improving, start keeping it more towards 100

As you keep leveling here on WK, you’ll likely find that you get better at learning Japanese, and things will start clicking more for you as your brain figures out and adapts to what you’re doing to it with all these foreign characters ^^

Good luck to you in your studies!

3 Likes

What really matters is the workload, i.e. how many reviews and lessons you do each day. Most (75%) of apprentice items come back within the day, so if you’re not comfortable with 200 reviews a day you probably shouldn’t have 200 apprentice items.

if here its ok? :blush: