New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

Well, you are @here2suffer, after all…

9 Likes

I wonder how he’ll feel about all the readings of 人

3 Likes

Funny enough, hadn’t had any problems with that one. It’s not the number of readings so much as how they’re presented.

How is the way 人 is presented any different from 山? :thinking:

Because 山 made me give up on following rules.

That and I just think of the Hitoribocchi anime for a lot of its applications.

I don’t usually plug my own app, but if you’re an Android user, you may want to try Flaming Durtles. It has an option to quiz on’yomi and kun’yomi separately. Meaning that during a lesson/review for a kanji item, you are asked separate questions to give both the on’yomi and kun’yomi, and the lesson/review isn’t complete until both questions (plus the meaning as usual) have been answered correctly. This is only for kanji, for vocab only the normal vocab’s reading is quizzed as usual.

Upside is that you’ve seen both on and kun by the time you see your first vocab for the kanji. Downside is that you only get a mnemonic for one of the readings, so you’re on your own to come up with a way to remember the other one.

Reading the last few posts in this thread, I was thinking this might suit your needs better than the normal WK system.

3 Likes

Pretty much all rules are made to be broken in Japanese. The golden rule is All Rules Have Exceptions, Including This One.

That said, in this particular instance, I feel as though you’ve not quite pegged down exactly what the rule is.

I understand the general rules in Japanese and that rules are the exception with this language, which is why I’m taking issue with WK implying that there are rules when they are almost immediately broken.

What rule, exactly, do you feel is being broken?

He has already said… He feels the site implies that the “vocabulary reading” is going to be used in all vocabulary and then it wasn’t.

Probably not necessary to do that whole circuit again.

Trying to run through a different circuit now - specifically, why does 山 cause issues, but not 人? The same rule is at play here, and WaniKani introduces them exactly the same way - on’yomi in the kanji lesson, then both kun’yomi and on’yomi in the vocab. For that matter, it introduces two kun’yomi and a jukujikun for good measure.

1 Like

Man, just remember it as you go. I can never recall whether to use kunyomi or onyomi.

山 is やま
ふじ山 is ふじさん
火山 is かざん

1 Like

Aye, that’s generally the trick. It doesn’t matter whether 富士山 is kun’yomi or on’yomi or whatever. It’s just a word that’s read as ふじさん.

3 Likes

And that’s the thing, after a while you just shrug and know that it’s all heavily context-dependent. Many don’t even use the readings you find in dictionaries, so I think that trying to imply to newcomers that there are nice neat categories that they fit into can lead to frustration, and why you occasionally see higher-level folks essentially tell the newbies “shut up and wait until level 10,” because by that point it either becomes much clearer or you’ve succumed to alcoholism.

As for your other question, I think that 山 was just the first time it stood out to me, nothing really more complicated than that.

I think we just disagree that this is what WaniKani is doing. For instance, to me “kanji reading” is just telling you “this is a kanji item, please answer with the reading”. As opposed to the meaning.

But it’s true that some users take it to mean “this is the kanji reading, and other readings are not the kanji reading.”

6 Likes

Random rant: I hate when ONE Kanji is missing to the level up. Well, let’s do some vocab lessons then…

3 Likes

Yeah it’s really hard sometimes not to come off with something trite like that.

Like, the best I can do is try to explain it in a way that me back then would understand and hope that works for you too. :wink:

2 Likes

Hey guys, sorry to interject the current topic on vocab vs kanji, was learning the vocab 温かい when I saw this example:

初心者なので、どうか温かい目で見まもってください。
I’m a beginner, so please go easy on me.

So is 温かい目で見まもって a Japanese expression for going easy? Is this a common idiom?
I only know 手加減 which pops up so now and then in battle anime, would that be an appropriate substitution too in this context?

1 Like

One meaning of 温かい is “kind,” (though to be fair, it’s not listed on WK) so you have “look at me with kind eyes,” which isn’t quite so idiomatic. But I would call it a collocation, I suppose. A collocation is a pairing of words that appear together more frequently than you’d expect from just random word usage.

つめたい (literally “cold”) can be used in the same sense, as an antonym. Unfriendly, distant, etc.

5 Likes

Looking at the definition and given example sentence on Jisho, I feel like it’s used in a different context. Which seems to be confirmed here:

So 手加減 is more about holding one’s full ability back for one reason or another, rather than looking upon someone favourably in a situation.

1 Like