New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

As for your actual question, probably stating the obvious, but have you checked the phone isn’t muted, or the volume isn’t turned down while it’s not connected to speakers? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

yes… actually I haven’t checked if the ringer on silent will effect it, I don’t have any reviews or lessons now so I’ll try that next, thanks!

1 Like

so on the one hand I feel a little stupid, but in my defense no other app turns off sound with the ringer… and likewise I don’t hear the ringer when its connected to speakers and headphones. But thank you for making me check the obvious one more time!

5 Likes

I’m not really good with technology.
Everyone is talking about these fancy scripts. Before I go adventuring for a good script or add on, do you know if they are compatible with mobile? I only use wanikani on my phone.

If you have an Android phone, there is a topic that talks about getting scripts going on the firefox android browser.

There is also a popular WK app for Android, that natively incorporates some popular user script features:

If you run iOS, I’m afraid I never paid close enough attention when it comes to extensions and options for that. :grimacing: But I’m sure someone else can chime in if that’s the case.

Best of luck! ^^

2 Likes

Someone actually found a method for iOS not long ago. I’ll see if I can find the thread. As for apps Tsurukame seems to be the favourite on iOS

Oh, seems like it was on iPad. I asked about whether it also worked on mobile, but didn’t get an answer.

3 Likes

Hey, Just started using WaniKani after getting annoyed by Anki, I’m still on the free trial and so far it’s pretty cool but I’d like to change it so the times listed on reviews are in 24 hour format and not 12 hour format since everything else I use has 24h format so it’s confusing to then have to use 12h for this, I can’t find an option for it, is there one and I just can’t find it or will I need to use some kind of external script to change it? (if so is there a good one for doing that?)

1 Like

When is the level updated in the community? It doesn’t really matter, but it’s still a bit frustrating to feel one level behind all the time hahaha.

If you log out of the forum and log back in, it’s updated instantly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh wow thanks, now I’m a proud level 6 :joy:

3 Likes

Looking forward to seeing you around as a proud level 60! :muscle:

1 Like

Updating any part of your profile (i.e. profile “about” text) should also cause your forum level bubble to update, without needed to re-login.

Unfortunately, as of now there isn’t a built-in way to change the review hour format. However, there is a userscript for this called WK Review Forecast Clock Style. Here is a visual guide on how to install a userscript.

1 Like

thank you!

Did they get rid of the checklist that would stay on the dashboard until they got to level 2 even after people did everything? I can’t recall anyone asking about it recently.

1 Like

Hello! I’m relatively new to Wanikani and have a few questions for people who have been doing this a while! I’ve been keeping up reviews and lessons, and plan to continue as long as I can.
My first question is…
I’ve noticed a few people express concern over building up too many reviews/lessons at one time. I’m wondering how to space out your lessons/review sessions so that this doesn’t happen. Right now I’m just completing anything that pops up, regardless of how many it is. Is this the best way to do it, or should I be more strategic about saving some lessons for later? I’ve also downloaded some open scripts(?) that detect leeches so I can spend specialized study time on them.

Another question I have is…
What other resources are you using outside of WaniKani? I’m going through the Genki textbook and using pre-made Japanese Quizlets. I also frequently read through Tofugu’s pages for grammar help. Are there other (preferably free) platforms that are helpful for your learning?

Lastly,
At what point did you realize your efforts on WaniKani paid off? (this question is for fueling my own motivation haha)

1 Like

As long as you can comfortably keep up with the tempo, it’s fine. As you level up your workload will quickly start to increase. As soon as you start feeling rushed, or overloaded, or pressured, that’s when you should back off a little. And not doing lessons for a little while is the most effective way to get it back under control. You don’t need to ‘pre-plan’ for it, just make sure you keep an eye on yourself so you recognize when to slow down before you get overwhelmed.

2 Likes

Based on workload, that might be ok until level 10 or so. Though I’d start learning how to spread out lessons before you start getting later stage “review waves”. How you spread out lessons depends on how quickly you would like to level, I guess, but also how much you think you can handle at a time.

When I accidentally started reading Japanese when watching anime. And this was when I was in the Painful levels.

3 Likes

I did about 15-25 lessons a day, every day. Even with “just” this, you can level up at nearly the highest speed. I’m not saying high speed is something you should aim for, but there are those that want to go fast and believe the only way to achieve optimal level-up times is to do all lessons in bulk.

Doing the 15-25 lessons a day while keeping my Apprentice count around max 100 at all times kept me around 175 reviews a day until Burns. After about six months of consistent studying, you’ll start getting your Burn reviews, and your review load will increase.

Doing lessons in bulk means you tend to get certain days of review spikes. Do you think that, six months from now, you can spend 1-2 hours a day on WK, especially if there are days that you get 400+ reviews?

If spending 1 to 2 hours a day on WK doesn’t sound feasible or desirable for you, you need to start spacing lessons out now. With the nature of SRS being what it is, your lessons choices today affect your review load for the next six months or so. Plenty of people have dug themselves into a hole after their initial enthusiasm came back to bite them around the exact same time that the daily grind really begins to feel like a grind.

Going fast is fine, but everything will be coming back to you. If you do a lot of lessons (whether in bulk, or a higher end of a daily batch) you will have to do a lot of reviews. Skipping one day or more then means you have to do a mountain of reviews to get back on track. So think about what you’ll be able to keep up 7 days a week for the next year or two. ^^

Mid level 20s is when I really felt that my kanji learning was paying dividends. Although it all depends on how much progress you make with everything else, of course. If I hadn’t kept wrestling with grammar, WK would have barely been useful even at level 60.

I use BunPro (paid) for grammar
CureDolly youtube videos for grammar
日本語の森 videos for grammar
Torii (free with the option to upgrade) for vocab
Koohi.cafe (formerly FloFlo.moe) was a gift. from. the. gods. when reading my first light novel

5 Likes

Could you expand a little on how this happens? In the reading I have done so far I haven’t seen it mentioned, and it certainly sounds like something I want to mitigate!

I also assume that by ‘in bulk’ you mean completing every lesson that unlocks within 24 hours, but if you mean more like ‘any more than 50 per day’ then please correct me because… I will do close to 50 lessons over 24h if I am very keen that day :sweat_smile:

1 Like