New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

Well, I guess that would have more to do with what you’re encountering than anything. かた for person is keigo, while ほう and かた for way are just standard, non-honorific words. I’m not saying all 3 aren’t common.

But they don’t want people to learn ほう = person, so they don’t have person on there. They could have alternatively eliminated ほう and done かた only for way and person, which also would have only taught valid pairs.

1 Like

Yeah of course it’s because I encounter a lot of keigo in my Japanese classes or all the train warning signs or advertising during commute. Point is, it’s not an obscure meaning, so I was just really surprised that it wasn’t set there.

Right… they didn’t forget it exists, it’s just a limitation of the system.

2 Likes

Hey! First post here. I’m wondering what critical condition items are. I’m guessing it’s not great, considering those are the lessons I’ve been having trouble with over the past few days? I looked in the FAQ but couldn’t find any information.

Regardless, I’m glad to be here!

1 Like

I think it’s any item below 75% average in reviews. (You can see it based on the percentages.)

It’s not that bad, but it’s just their way of telling you they’re items you should keep an eye out for.

3 Likes

Hello everybody !

I am currently seaching a script which can show my actual Level directly in the dashboard. I have seen it quite often on community’s screenshots but I can’t find it in The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps.

Does anyone know how to do it ?
Thanks !

My search engine wizardry turned up this:

Is that what you’re looking for? ^^

2 Likes

Aaah yes it is ! :eyes: thanks @Omun :blush:

1 Like

Oh, thank you! That makes sense.

1 Like

こにちわ!
Relatively new to WaniKani, been working on it for a little under a week and wanted to ask a couple questions. I’ll probably have a lot over the coming days, weeks… months.

Today I wanted to ask about what percentages you guys tend to get on your reviews. I felt for the first few days that I was a genius- memorized all the radicals without a hitch, all the first set of kanji no problem. Now I’m hitting a serious roadblock with the vocabulary and the multiple readings of the same kanji characters. I’m getting anywhere between 40-70% with my more recent reviews, it would seem, and it’s getting to be a bit disheartening. It’s too early to get depressed and frustrated, so I’m looking to find out if anyone else had a similar bump early on and if you guys have any tips to get over it! Thank you all, I look forward to hanging around and seeing you more often soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tend to get 30-70ish% depending on how hard I’ve been pushing. I’ll get over 80% on a really good day. There are some people here who never get below 90%. Everyone is different. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Just push as hard is as comfortable for you, and don’t be too upset when you get things wrong.

3 Likes

Why hello to you too! Kinda love that GIF, never seen it before now.

Thank you for the reassurance, glad to hear I’m not alone on that! It was a bit disheartening, but I’m still very much committed so I will try my best not to let it get to me. I appreciate it very much!

2 Likes

I would like to add to what @pragmata said that you’ll also get used to learning kanji. ^^

In the first few levels, some readings or vocab seemed so hard to remember, or it felt so impossible to distinguish certain kanji. But your brain will switch gears to better remember the moon runes, and it will get easier to learn new kanji and vocab.

Welcome to WaniKani and good luck! :muscle:

5 Likes

This is also fantastic to hear, thank you!

I would imagine that this is entirely possible- much in the same way that a native speaker of (presumably) any language can just see the general shape of a word and know what it is without actually having to pick out each letter/syllable. That being said- developing that skill takes many years.

If you don’t mind me asking, how long did it take you to reach the point you’re describing? And congratulations on level 60, I hope to be there some day! How long did it take you to reach it?

3 Likes

I remember it being about the first 4 or so levels for me personally. Looking at my level-up stats, it took me a good 2+ months to get used to things.

It took me about 16 months. But I would say it’s not a fun speed to do things at. It meant a lot of reviews, and no breaks, since skipping a day or two of reviews would leave me with a backlog of a few hundred items.

I just wanted to make progress as quickly as possible to actually get to using the language like I want to. I still use several SRS programs a day, but I try to spend a lot of time on reading and watching native content now as well, which is a more satisfying way to practice for me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for all of this information, it’s fantastic! I’d like to ask you a few more questions, if you don’t mind- but it’s totally cool if you don’t feel like answering, I don’t want to be bombarding you or anything :yum:

So… first of all, I’m curious- is there anything motivating you to work this hard and this consistently? Any major goals you’re working towards?

Do you feel like you’ve achieved those goals? Are you finding that your work with WaniKani has been effective and has actually led to some degree of Japanese proficiency?

At what point did you start being able to practice with using native content? I would imagine that it wouldn’t be very effective until someone reaches a decent level of proficiency first- until you’re able to recognize most of the words being said or written, I’d imagine that it doesn’t do much for you. Was that your experience?

Last, do you have any tips for someone new? Anything you wish you’d done differently, perhaps? When do you think it’s appropriate to move on to new lessons? I just hit level 2 and have tons of new things to learn but I kinda feel like I’m still pretty bad at what I’ve learned up to this point.

Thank you so much for the replies you’ve already made, I really appreciate it. Good luck on continuing with your studies! :smile:

2 Likes

This ended up way too long, but you asked for it!

I’ve been interested in the Japanese language for at least 20 years now. When I ended up studying it every day, it turned out to be a passion that I don’t want to be without. Having seen the positive results of consistent and daily study, it’s much easier to find the drive to keep it up.

I mostly want to be able to read and watch native content. :books:

At this point I can enjoy things like watching JP Let’s Play videos, and re-watching JP shows with JP subs. I can enjoy myself reading random manga, and played through two Ace Attorney games. My comprehension is very far from perfect, but I can follow along well enough to have a good time.

For me personally, comitting to a year sub on WK was the moment I started studying Japanese every day. Rather than my previous attempts at Japanese self-study (disastrous and laughably brief) WK gave me a clear goal. Do reviews. Do lessons.

Thanks to already having a WK study routine, I managed to include grammar, reading, and listening practice over time.

WK also has a huge amount of useful vocab, even though it is a kanji website first and foremost. Yes, outside vocab work is definitely necessary to be able to read comfortably, but even with just WK, something like the Ace Attorney games already became doable, when I got my grammar up to snuff.

Around higher N4 and solid N3 level is when I noticed a huge leap in my general comprehension, espcially since my slow grammar start meant I had already progressed through most of WK. With my grammar woes, I got to that point now-ish - about 18/19 months after I started studying every day.

I tried a lot of different grammar resources, but the combination that worked for me was the youtube channel KawaJappa CureDolly and then the grammar SRS website BunPro.

Everyone is different, of course, with different circumstances, but some things that worked for me:

• I tried to remind myself often that this wouldn’t always be fun. Consistency was and is very important for me in order to make good progress. I repeated to myself that there would be times that reviews would be that last thing I’d want to do. But a habit is hard to build and easy to erase, so I try to stay consistent. I often actively learn on the weekdays, and just do review maintenance on weekends, but I always do something. In the past, one day of telling myself it was okay to do nothing turned into… well, we don’t need specifics. :eyes: Many. Months or years.

• Be wary of burn out. I added and dropped additions to my study routine numerous times because my chosen load meant studying felt like pulling teeth. Several weeks of trying for force myself onward through that feeling would make me want to throw in the towel. Slowing down might not feel good sometimes, but if you end up turning your back on studying for days / weeks / months, you know you definitely won’t be making progress. I chose to gamble on consitency.

• If you use PC: Semantic Phonetic Composition Script and Ultimate Timeline are your friends. ^^

You’re the best judge of that, of course! With the SRS stages, the more items you have in Apprentice and Guru, the more reviews you have. A common piece of advice given, and something that helped me, is to keep your Apprentice items around 100. This can keep your review numbers in check a bit more. Feels like too much? Less Apprentice items, then. Feel like you can handle more? More Apprentice items.

Nothing wrong with that! You can stop doing lessons for a while and just review what you have in the hopper right now if you think it’s still too tenuous.

Thank you, and you too! Hope to keep seeing you around the Community.

6 Likes

Thanks for this! I got caught up with school and finally had the time to continue this. I’m now almost at level 2 :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for your help! I read the resources and am slowly progressing now :smile:

1 Like

Goodness gracious, this was completely the best response I’ve gotten on the internet in a long time! Thank you so much for your time and effort in writing such an extensive reply- it really helps me out more than you know!

How would one measure their approximate JLPT level? You said you’re around N3- how did you know when you were at that point?

Just out of curiosity (promise this is the last question) do you have much experience with speaking Japanese with other people- and do you feel that WaniKani helps you to do so?

When I made that first post, it was after getting a huge wave of new material that I wasn’t even sure how to go about learning. I’m roughly 50 items into level 2 now and I’m really noticing that I actually was learning, even when it didn’t feel like it.

Your post definitely helped with both my motivation and my strategies, so really, thank you so much! I’d add more if I had more to say, but I don’t really, at the moment Thank you so much again, and I’m certain you will see me around! Hope to see you again as well!

2 Likes