New kanjis why isn't it being added

Honestly, by the time you hit level 25, you can already read 80-85% of the kanji in online newspapers, 83% of Twitter, and 82% of Wikipedia, so you’re pretty much able to function by that point anyway. I mean, provided you’re keeping up with vocab and grammar studies separately.

Ish. There’s some absurdly common kanji that don’t get taught until later, but you get my point.

5 Likes

Some day you’ll join us, Leebo.

314fff53b260f67d53ac69a6da537017

12 Likes

Tofugu had a textbook called TextFugu or something but I believe it’s cancelled since they are working on making something new and better called EtoEto but there hasn’t been news on that in a long time so I wouldn’t count on waiting for it.
I don’t think one resource can really do it all anyways. One resource may explain something in a certain way that may be confusing, but looking through in multiple resources will give you much better comprehension.

I’m looking forward to using EtoEto as a refresher three years from now. :laughing:

5 Likes

Oh, it still exists. They’ve just stopped taking subscriptions for it.

Three years? Where does this unbridled optimism spring from?

7 Likes

Right, the “Level 60s don’t really seem to be clamoring for that, hold off a bit” answer doesn’t seem crazy to me.

Plus, I kind of feel like the whole mnemonic routine really could be abbreviated the higher the levels get. At the lower levels, you’re learning some mnemonics, but also learning how to make mnemonics for yourself. At this point I kind of feel by level 60, the only feature of WK I’m going to want is the SRS*, I’ll long be handling the mnemonics myself and be ready to start choosing my own kanji to learn. At that point, something like Anki will suffice. But who knows how I’ll feel then?

And the forums are irreplaceable, of course. Awww…

I’m not creative enough to come up with good mnemonics on my own. Personally, I rely on phonetic components much more than mnemonics.

3 Likes

Once you get to level 60, the composition of kanji is just clearer, from the amount of experience.

And if people do take the time to learn the real meanings of some radicals that do have important meanings, it gets easier.

褐 is a kanji not taught on WK. Its most common meaning is “brown,” but it also means “woollen kimono”. What color is a woollen kimono? It’s reasonable to say, probably brown.

So how do we keep this kanji straight from the other ones that look similar?

Well, there’s 渇 (thirst), 喝 (scold), and 掲 (display), for instance.

The radical in 渇 is a modification of 水
The radical in 喝 is 口
The radical in 掲 is a modification of 手

Suddenly the meanings are becoming clearer. They’re all associated with the core meaning of the radical.

As for 褐?

That radical is a modification of 衣. Clothing.

Hence the meaning.

10 Likes

I mean, tbf, you dont have lifetime so you can just stop paying once you hit 60. Thats what I did.

Yeah, theres really no need to add much more stuff into wk. Like some kanji would have been nice like the ones jpr listed and so on…but its really not much of a bother to just learn them on your own as you come across them.

Hell, if more levels were added, I probably wouldn’t do them because I feel my time would be much better spent elsewhere. Current levels? Yeah, no regrets at all. More levels? Pass. I hate to say it like this, but OP, just wait and you’ll see that adding stuff really isn’t as good of an idea as it sounds.

I mean, I confess I do see where OP is coming from. We’re frequently told “learn the joyo kanji and you’ll be all set”, but when you look at WaniKani, it stops short of that. What we’re not frequently told is that the 80-20 rule applies just as much to the joyo kanji as it does to everything else - 20% of the joyo kanji represents 80% of what we’re going to see in the wild.

It’s just that where OP is missing the point is where he’s standing at the bottom of Mount Kanji complaining that it’s only 3775 metres tall, not 3776. It’s like, climb the mountain first and enjoy the view.

Though, considering WaniKani doesn’t even teach 幡 - as in 八幡, the second most common type of Shinto shrine in Japan (after the 稲荷 shrines) - it’s hardly worth bothering. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

A million times this. You don’t have to agree with OP to realize that this is toxic. It’s an abhorrent way to approach feedback, whether one feels the feedback is valid or not.

6 Likes

You will understand once you reach level 60 :wink:

Seriously though, what’s the point of demanding content that 99.99% of new users starting WK won’t be seeing anyway, with no explanation why you would need (in the view of people who actually looked at that kanji) quite obscure content, except for “I’m paying, and WK staff is just lazy”.

There are lots of feedback threads with quite favorable replies, but if you just shoot off some random suggestion you will hear the cons directly.

You can also send your suggestion directly to WK by mail, where they will probably “check their roadmap” or something, in the forums you will hear if there is support or not for your idea, and some divination why your idea doesn’t seem to be on said roadmap.

On the other hand, just because some people think it’s a bad idea doesn’t mean it’s actually a bad idea, either.

3 Likes

Absolutely. Nothing wrong with hearing the cons. But “wait till level 60” is not a con. It’s condescension.

The idea may or may not be good, but that type of riposte is not constructive at all as it does not argue the point.

That’s easy. To get an understanding of where everyone is at on the idea, but not to be told that without being further along their voice doesn’t matter. Some have listed cons very clearly and without putting OP down so it’s clearly possible.

Also, not that I am claiming that WK staff is lazy at all, but the feature timeline is not visible to everyone, so it’s not like anyone really knows what goes on. I’m not claiming we should, but it is impossible for anyone to speak either way regarding anyone’s “laziness”. On a related note I’m losing a lot of faith when I see that I literally know nothing about EtoEto (it’s even become a joke now), and that the radical overhaul has been mentioned for so long, it’s almost a legend.

3 Likes

Not that their voice doesn’t matter, but it is pretty fair to say that the answer to his question will become more obvious as he works his way through WK, imo.

5 Likes

Another point worth mentioning is that adding new kanji, and thus raising the level cap above 60, would just discourage a lot of users. Many people (IMO) stick with Wanikani because it is like a game, and want to reach the end. It wouldn’t be a nice experience if the end kept moving to higher and higher levels when one is stuck somewhere half-way through.

Maybe a solution would be to allow users to upload their own kanji in user made level. But as many people mentioned here, once you reach level 60 you are more than equipped at learning new kanjis on your own.

3 Likes

Maybe this also plays a role, seeing very large feature requests a la “please add 1000 kanji and some thousands extra vocab” can remind people that some changes should be underway right now. On the API v2 side there are many interesting new features and WK may currently be tuned “under the hood”, but at least some idea what kind of changes are planned would be nice.

First thing I would change would be renaming radicals to something else :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think WK staff is lazy, they could add another 60 levels and they could invent some new kanji and vocab themselves. For example where is the kanji for “Tofugu”?

6 Likes

while i didn’t think the OP really ever had a real point, and i definitely agree with the notion that it’s kind of pointless to rant about this before being much, much further along the road, the gang bang in this thread didn’t sit right with me.

as if a mob shouted down the guy with an opinion they didn’t like. and not just 2 or 3 people… 5 plus, in a row. that’s not how we should treat each other.

I think you’re absolutely right. In this instance though, because it specifically concerns the amount of items/kanji/vocab/things learnt, I think it’s fair to say that to say wait until you’re further along is completely justified. It’s not in the sense that OP isn’t experienced, but more so that the way your learn with wanikani will change over time.

Also I agree with most people that are closer to the end of the 60 levels. Once you get up there, it’s just a matter of learning what you encounter. There’s no point building up to it like wanikani does when you can look it up, make sense of it based on what you know and probably recognise it the next time you encounter it. At this point I’m mainly finishing wanikani because I hate leaving things unfinished and because the SRS is actually quite useful without me having to do much for it (lazy me talking).
However, I am slightly study crazy so should there be more levels I’d probably jump right in either way (way too ambitious me talking)

This is in no way to disrespect or invalidate lower level users (that would be hypocritical, since we all started there), but I do believe if it concerns the whole bulk of what you’re learning it’s better to experience wanikani over a longer period of time before wishing for more (because believe me, the mountain looks very very very steep at points and it is hard to keep going as is). That being said, any other issue, I complete agree. Your level shouldn’t determine your input in forums.

Hopefully explained that right :sweat_smile:

There’s a lot of day-to-day work that goes on that we don’t talk about, and we rarely mention long-term projects that are going on before they’re ready to go. As a user, it’s perfectly legitimate to want to know about what’s going on, what progress is being made, etc. From our standpoint, however, it’s usually preferable to keep quiet about most projects until they’re ready to go live. Under-promise, over-deliver, that kind of thing.

One thing I would point out in our defense is that we are a small team. Much of the work on the radical overhaul is being done by Kristen, for example, who also has to create content for Tofugu, fix errors and typos in WaniKani, work on mnemonics, and so on. It takes time.

The other point I’d like to make is that I agree that no one should feel ganged up on when they post and ask questions.

To answer @DeHaos original question, the reason we aren’t working on adding new levels right now is because we’re focused on other things and there’s only so much development time to go around. We’re definitely not opposed to the idea of adding more kanji/vocab, although I’m not sure it would be in the form of whole new levels, or just fleshing out the existing ones (particularly 50-60). I suppose it would depend on how much new stuff was getting added.

19 Likes