New Duolingo Stuff!

Duolingo just added a whole bunch of new lessons. I’ve seen it improve for quite a while now, and previously, they got only stuff until the lessons you see unlocked so far. Now they got a whole bunch of new stuff! Maybe Japanese Duolingo is finally good now?

A screenshot of the whole list can be found below:

15 Likes

Nice! I got my start with Duolingo before doing WK/etc. Looks like I had to log into the desktop interface once before it appeared on my phone.

3 Likes

OK so far they’re fricking up already. 茂 in the sixth lesson, with the wrong reading. (しげる (which is the verb) instead of しげ)

EDIT: Oh wait, they’re using it as a name?

Bit of a strange way to teach this

7 Likes

It’s okay. We know you’re being held against your will. Blink twice if you want us to rescue you.

33 Likes

I do not understand what you mean, but しげる is a valid nanori for 茂. It is strange to teach a kanji though its use in names, but it’s not wrong :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

Kanji? Cool. I’ll have to try it again!

1 Like

I thought for names in Japanese you just ignored the readings and pretended you understood…

Have I been doing this all wrong…:man_facepalming::turtle:

17 Likes

This tree has been in there for a while now. It’s just that people who started before it got added didn’t get the new tree until now and were stuck with the old one. Everyone who joined after they originally added it got it instantly

2 Likes

Several months ago, I was only still doing duolingo in order to finish the tree… Then when I was one subject away, they moved me to the new tree - and reset most of my progress. Gah.

I did persevere with the new tree for a while, but it was pretty frustrating. It would accept kanji in some places but not others, and there was only ever one correct answer string for listening exercices which would be a hard-to-predict mix of kanji and no-kanji within the same sentence. So I switched back to multiple choice, which was a shame. A lot of lessons just seemed to be endless repetitions of the same three exercises, which was weird. They added some explanations of grammar points etc but the limitations of the system meant they still seemed pretty separate from the actual exercises. I gave up after a few weeks.

Might it have improved since then?

2 Likes

Yeah thats what I realized in the edit, but still a bit strange to do it like that in the introductory lessons. They just introduced the concept of kanji there :roll_eyes:

Not sure what you’re talking about
:neutral_face::expressionless::neutral_face::expressionless::neutral_face:

In general though, all the way at the end, they got some pretty decent grammar sentences, and the structure is quite randomized. So it gives pretty ok practice on that front

7 Likes

I don’t see anything new, still got my golden owl.

1 Like

This question was tough, but after puzzling it out for half an hour, I figured it out.

24 Likes

It might be too late

3 Likes

I don’t like their cookie cutter approach do just doing vocab and kanji, yea they do summarize grammar points but it’s too important to make that the most important. the Bunpo application (not BunPro) does this amazingly and that’s been the way I’ve been able to get into Grammar more.

2 Likes

What’s the difference between the two? I’ve been wanting to find something more grammar related because I feel lost on the why’s of things that I can apply to other sentences etc.

1 Like

Multiple choice quizzes? Ugh, I hate when learning resources use that. That’s the worst part of Memrise.

4 Likes

Multiple choice is only at the start to learn the letters and some basic words. After starting to learn grammar, you can choose the keyboard setting, which means you have to type all answers.

Duolingo is still quite bad at accepting different correct interpretations of a sentence, and it sometimes feels like you have to learn their specific sentence structures as well before you’ll be able to get things right.

3 Likes

I agree that multiple choice is bad for learning. This is why I hate Anki (because in plain Anki, you have to choose among “Again”, “Good”, and “Easy”). The WK way is ideal, because they match your answer with their whitelist of answers (provided the whitelist is properly maintained).

3 Likes

BunPro kind of just passively teaches you the grammar and does a great job doing reviews https://bunpro.jp/ I struggle to learn this way so I use it to help reinforce what I know and don’t know.

https://getbunpo.com/ is how Duolingo SHOULD do things. This uses the same puzzle pieces design and to me it helps keep my attention better or not get as worn out.

3 Likes

I find Clozemaster really helpful for seeing words in context.

1 Like