New Content not so Optional After All

I’m not sure what you mean by that. If you have the old mnemonics available, why can’t you use them.

you can use old mnemonics for new content?
i don’t have the option for new stuff, only for old items, so i’m seeing new mnemonics.

1 Like

I haven’t used it directly, but the option doesn’t say anything about limiting it to things you already learned, just “Expose the mnemonics from before the update in lessons, reviews, and subject detail pages.”

I don’t see why that wouldn’t apply to new things if it says lessons.

yeah, i see the old mnemonics for everything i learned before the update, but everything after uses the new style. maybe i’m missing something here, but i looked at the settings and the individual item pages. the “show old mnemonics” button is missing for new items.

I just turned it on and went to a kanji page for a level 48 item, and the “Old mnemonics” tab is there.

uhm. i gotta check that at home, only my phone available right now. maybe it’s a thing with android/firefox.

The new mnemonics are a great deal better than their old counterparts. You would be doing yourself a disservice sticking to the old radical mnemonics. At this level of your learning there are some things that you will need to be able to accept otherwise you’ll have a hard time later. Keep up the study mate!

1 Like

There are some that are better, some that are worse. What frustrates me the most is that now they expect me to imagine something different and it’s come to the point where I’m making even more of my own mnemonics than I ever have (which makes the lessons take even longer) in order to remember things with characters who I’ve never come across before. The moment that I unlocked 死, already knowing it was し, I couldn’t help but watch in horror as Charlie Sheen never appeared.
Hyperbole aside, it is very jarring; yes, even for a level 7. I started WaniKani five years ago, I have burnt some ideas in my head about Joseph Stalin and Charlie Sheen already. For the people who have been here so long, surely we could allow them to continue making these correlations between certain readings and certain radicals and certain words.
Charlie Sheen, the leader of the samurai, who stood atop stop signs and shouted at me to stop, and who saved me from Two-Face, is now gone, but Hard Gay, one of the most offensive brands of humour I know, has stuck around. For what? What makes an offensive stereotype of gay men humping everything they see more likeable than a drug-addled superstar?
Would it be impossible at this point to allow for an ‘old mode’ toggle that lets us use all the old stuff, or is that all gone for good?

5 Likes

I reset to level one, hit level 2 and the kanji for child, and there was Charlie Sheen, kidnapping my child. I will sue him. So he’s not entirely gone, it seems.

1 Like

You can’t kill Charlie Sheen :joy:

2 Likes

Glad I’m not the only one who hates that Hard Gay has stick around! It really bugs me every time he crops up in a lesson and it makes it really hard to remember the sei readings because I don’t want to have to think about him!!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.