New and Improved Wallpaper Generator

By all means, go right ahead!

And fair enough, it’s definitely a tricky list to pin down. I don’t know that I’d call myself an expert, but I’ll help to the best of my ability :joy: I’d say if you use that list, you’d go ahead and include the proposed changes, but it actually looks like there were 8 more kanji than in that proposal that got confirmed in 2010, judging by the Japanese Wikipedia page.

As for order, the English and Japanese Wikipedia pages show the additions in a different order, so maybe the Japanese one would be alright? Though the following page doesn’t have the full Secondary school list. Lemme go look for it and I’ll come back and edit when/if I find one. What kind of things are you looking for/considering when you look at the order? edit- the additions start at the " 2010年の改定" section

Edit 2- So I just found this table with the full list, and it can be sorted by both readings and school year (S = secondary school), and it’s the same table as is on the Japanese side of the site. Unfortunately, I have no idea Gonna move this to a reply :joy:

The Japanese list and English list seem the same, unfortunately (unless I looked at the wrong thing)

The order I’m looking for is something more like how I have the kyouiku kanji listed here: Document

This page shows the list, but it’s in hiragana order. 常用漢字一覧 - Wikipedia

But, if I take the kyouiku list I already have, and add a new section called “Secondary School” and copy-paste all of the second-school kanji from the wiki link, would that make it a full jouyou set?

1 Like

So you found the same table I did, and yea it does default to readings. It has an option to sort by Grade Level though, if that’s what you’re after?

As for the order of added kanji on the Wikis, I have them listed like this (I apologize in advance for the terrible formatting, I just pasted straight from wikipedia):

English Wiki- 𠮟[] 鹿 [] [] []

Japanese Wiki- 挨 曖 宛 嵐 畏 萎 椅 彙 茨 咽 淫 唄 鬱 怨 媛 艶 旺 岡 臆 俺 苛 牙 瓦 楷 潰 諧 崖 蓋 骸 柿 顎 葛 釜 鎌 韓 玩 伎 亀 毀 畿 臼 嗅 巾 僅 錦 惧 串 窟 熊 詣 憬 稽 隙 桁 拳 鍵 舷 股 虎 錮 勾 梗 喉 乞 傲 駒 頃 痕 沙 挫 采 塞 埼柵 刹 拶 斬 恣 摯 餌 鹿 𠮟 嫉 腫 呪 袖 羞 蹴 憧 拭 尻 芯 腎 須 裾 凄 醒 脊 戚 煎 羨 腺 詮 箋 膳 狙 遡 曽 爽 痩 踪 捉 遜 汰 唾 堆 戴 誰 旦 綻 緻 酎 貼 嘲 捗 椎 爪 鶴 諦 溺 塡 妬 賭 藤 瞳 栃 頓 貪 丼 那 奈 梨 謎 鍋 匂 虹 捻 罵 剝 箸 氾 汎 阪 斑 眉 膝 肘 訃 阜 蔽 餅 璧 蔑 哺 蜂 貌 頰 睦 勃 昧 枕 蜜 冥 麺 冶 弥 闇 喩 湧 妖 瘍 沃 拉 辣 藍 璃 慄 侶 瞭 瑠 呂 賂 弄 籠 麓 脇

That aside, yes if you just add the Secondary School kanji on top of the Kyoiku list, you’d have the complete Joyo list. You’d just need to make sure to add the above 196 and remove these 5- (銑 錘 勺 匁 脹), since they’re still included on your link but have been removed: According to my searches, the new 196 were all added to the Secondary curriculum and the Kyoiku list shouldn’t be affected by them.

1 Like

Thank you for your help! The jouyou list is live on the site now!

I made sure that the kanji you posted were included, and that the removed kanji were not included. You’ve been very helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow! That was fast! You sir, are the man! Glad I could help out :smile:

And by all means, to anyone that comes along later and notices any mistake I may have made: please correct me :eyes:

1 Like

I love having this as my lock screen. If I install the automatic updater, will it also work for lockscreens? Or is that only for your desktop.

5 Likes

Ok, I got it working with the automation with the new one.

This is so cool! Thank you very much. Works perfectly.

1 Like

This is really cool! It’ll be fun to watch the colors fill more and more. Thanks so much for making this! :slightly_smiling_face: Here’s mine with slightly muted default colors:

I love the customization options and the auto-update feature, and how user-friendly the site is. A lot of work was clearly put into this. One thing; when I click the alias, the wallpaper doesn’t always update. It updates the image in the folder but not the actual wallpaper.

It does work with Safari.

1 Like

This is fantastic, I love it! Thanks a ton!

For anyone here who is an Android user, I created a task in the Tasker app to automatically update this wallpaper on a timed interval.

<TaskerData sr="" dvi="1" tv="5.7.2">
	<Profile sr="prof2" ve="2">
		<cdate>1560781091484</cdate>
		<edate>1560786039184</edate>
		<id>2</id>
		<mid0>3</mid0>
		<nme>WaniKani</nme>
		<Time sr="con0">
			<fh>-1</fh>
			<fm>-1</fm>
			<rep>1</rep>
			<repval>4</repval>
			<th>-1</th>
			<tm>-1</tm>
		</Time>
	</Profile>
	<Task sr="task3">
		<cdate>1560781103312</cdate>
		<edate>1560786033870</edate>
		<id>3</id>
		<nme>Update WaniKani Wallpaper</nme>
		<pri>100</pri>
		<Action sr="act0" ve="7">
			<code>118</code>
			<Str sr="arg0" ve="3"><WALLPAPER_URL_HERE></Str>
			<Str sr="arg1" ve="3"/>
			<Str sr="arg2" ve="3"/>
			<Str sr="arg3" ve="3"/>
			<Str sr="arg4" ve="3"/>
			<Int sr="arg5" val="10"/>
			<Str sr="arg6" ve="3">image/png</Str>
			<Str sr="arg7" ve="3">Pictures/wk_wallpaper.png</Str>
			<Int sr="arg8" val="0"/>
		</Action>
		<Action sr="act1" ve="7">
			<code>109</code>
			<Int sr="arg0" val="2"/>
			<Str sr="arg1" ve="3">Pictures/wk_wallpaper.png</Str>
			<Int sr="arg2" val="0"/>
			<Int sr="arg3" val="0"/>
		</Action>
	</Task>
</TaskerData>

You should be able to modify the XML above and insert your wallpaper url where it says <WALLPAPER_URL_HERE> (you can get this URL from the website by right clicking on the “Download Wallpaper” button after configuring your device and selecting “Copy Link Address”).

If you aren’t familiar with Tasker, you need to save the XML code to a file on your device (after adding your wallpaper URL as instructed above), and then hold on the “Profiles” tab in the app and select “Import Profile” and then select the XML file.

You can then test this Task by navigating to Tasks → Update WaniKani Wallpaper → Click the Play button in the bottom left.

If all went well, your wallpaper will have been changed!

2 Likes

That also happens to me on the Mac. I think it’s more related to the OS than to the script

2 Likes

This is super cool! :smiley:

I have an Android, so I can test this out. Do you mind if I add this to the site? I can add your name to the credits for it. Also, welcome to the community!

Thank you! I’m glad you like it :slight_smile:

Thanks! I should have known it was Rainmeter, haha. I’ve used Rainmeter in the past and it’s a pretty neat program.

That’s a cool idea! I never thought to do it for the lock screen, and actually my computer’s lock screen is still the same boring one that came with the OS, lol.

The WallpaperChanger.exe program unfortunately only works for the desktop wallpaper and not the lock screen. I did a little bit of lookup and found that there are ways to programmatically update your lock screen, and I will look into that the next time I update this! (Hopefully during this week; but we’ll see).

Thank you! :slight_smile: P.s. nice dog

Thank you for the compliments, and thank you for sharing! If I had a Mac, I’d look into that issue myself. Would you (and @emucat) please try changing the code to the script for me to the following? The difference is in the last two lines, where there’s a new sleep 1 line (which pauses the script for one second), and then a second osascript -e ... line that is exactly the same as before, essentially doing the “Set Wallpaper” line twice to see if it will help.

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"
curl -s -A "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.2228.0 Safari/537.36" -o "wallpaper.png" "http://wkw.natural20design.com/?k={{YOUR_API_KEY}}&d=1"
osascript -e "tell application \"System Events\" to tell every desktop to set picture to \"$(dirname "$0")/wallpaper.png\""
sleep 1
osascript -e "tell application \"System Events\" to tell every desktop to set picture to \"$(dirname "$0")/wallpaper.png\""
3 Likes

Thanks for the welcome :slight_smile: and I definitely don’t mind! Feel free to add it to the site.

Let me know if you run into any issues with the setup.

1 Like

Woah, that would be absolutely rad!
Thanks for your tireless work.

1 Like

I’ve change it.

I’ll let you know if I notice any improvement.

1 Like

You are such a boss!

1 Like

Thanks!!!

This is great! I’ve used it on my iPhone! I went for the Matrix view for now.

w x h - 1525 x 2836

margins (so I can use perspective mode nicely)
top 304
bottom 560
left 210
right 210

IMG_6405

1 Like

Tesla resolution soon?

2 Likes

Thanks, @Pep95!

Okay, I’ve got some code for you to try. Can you please try this out and then let me know if it works? If it does, then I’ll add it to the site.

Instructions for Updating Lock Screen

Summary: This script works by replacing the lock screen image file located at C:\Windows\Web\Screen\img100.jpg. It’s run through PowerShell.

1. Disable Windows Spotlight
  2. Enable running PowerShell scripts from batch files.
  3. Create a PowerShell script file that updates the lock screen image.
  4. Edit the update.bat file to run the PowerShell script
Details for step 0

(You already did this step so you can skip it; I’m just leaving it in here for my own notes)

Details for step 1
  1. Click on the Windows button in the lower-left corner
  2. Type “powershell” and then Right-Click on Windows PowerShell and click Run as administrator
  3. Type the following, and then hit enter.
Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

If you’re asked to answer Yes/No/etc., choose “Yes to All”.

Details for step 2

Similar to how you made a .bat file, make a .ps1 file with the following code, and name the file lockscreen.ps1. (that’s P-S-One, not P-S-L)

Start-Process -filePath "$env:systemRoot\system32\takeown.exe" -ArgumentList "/F `"$env:programData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData`" /R /A /D Y" -NoNewWindow -Wait
Start-Process -filePath "$env:systemRoot\system32\icacls.exe" -ArgumentList "`"$env:programData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData`" /grant Administrators:(OI)(CI)F /T" -NoNewWindow -Wait
Start-Process -filePath "$env:systemRoot\system32\icacls.exe" -ArgumentList "`"$env:programData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\S-1-5-18\ReadOnly`" /reset /T" -NoNewWindow -Wait
Remove-Item -Path "$env:programData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\S-1-5-18\ReadOnly\LockScreen_Z\*" -Force
Start-Process -filePath "$env:systemRoot\system32\takeown.exe" -ArgumentList "/F `"$env:systemRoot\Web\Screen`" /R /A /D Y" -NoNewWindow -Wait
Start-Process -filePath "$env:systemRoot\system32\icacls.exe" -ArgumentList "`"$env:systemRoot\Web\Screen`" /grant Administrators:(OI)(CI)F /T" -NoNewWindow -Wait
Start-Process -filePath "$env:systemRoot\system32\icacls.exe" -ArgumentList "`"$env:systemRoot\Web\Screen`" /reset /T" -NoNewWindow -Wait
Copy-Item -Path "$env:systemRoot\Web\Screen\img100.jpg" -Destination "$env:systemRoot\Web\Screen\img200.jpg" -Force
Copy-Item -Path "wallpaper.png" -Destination "$env:systemRoot\Web\Screen\img100.jpg" -Force

Details for step 3

Update the bottom lines of your update.bat batch file so it looks like this:

@echo Setting wallpaper
@WallpaperChanger.exe wallpaper.png
@echo Setting lock screen image
@powershell -File "lockscreen.ps1"
@echo Done

1 Like