Need Some Grammar Help, ASAP!

It’s not really ASAP, but I would like it preferably sooner!

I just have a quick question. In one of my grammar exercises (specifically, particles), “ここが図書館だ。” was the answer. I would’ve thought it was “ここは図書館だ。” Are both right? Am I just stupid? Will someone help me??

1 Like

Well, @Leebo 先輩 or @Belthazar 先輩 would be able to give a much more correct answer, but as you need the quick answer…

As I understand it, the difference is that in ここは図書館だ we are answhering “What is this place?” - “This is the library
In ここが図書館だ we are answering “Which place is the library?” - “This place is the library”

It’s very probable that I’m wrong though.

8 Likes

They don’t mean the same thing, so it’s impossible to say without looking at the exercise that both are right here. If you search は vs が you’ll find loads of discussion on it. There are numerous reasons why one or the other would be chosen for a given sentence.

3 Likes

Can you give me one of those numerous reasons?

Thank you very much for the speedy answer! You are much appreciated.

1 Like

Sambonjuku has a pretty good video on that here: Introduction to “が” and “は”

Basically, は emphasizes what comes after and が emphasizes what comes before.

• ここは図書館だ - This is THE LIBRARY.
  • ここが図書館だ - THIS is the library.

However, there are two important things to note here:

1. This only applies to sentences with one or the other, not both.
  2. が is a grammatical part of speech. You can’t have a complete sentence without it even if it’s omitted as being understood.
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.