Need halp with translation of a sentence

I need help with this translation:

「手遊びなどと雪ノ下は謙遜したがそのできは圧巻だった」

My best guess is something like: “The best part of dancing with Yukinoshita was her modesty,” but it doesn’t feel right. Not sure I see any possessives, more going by what would make sense? Another idea is “The best part was dancing with Yukinoshita”, but that omits “謙遜した” - that part confuses me to no end. Maybe it’s some grammar I don’t know? Idk.

1 Like

It just looks like 謙遜 + past tense する. “Was being humble/modest”?

2 Likes

手遊びなどと
Saying things like “even a child could do it”
雪ノ下は謙遜したが
Yukinoshita acted modestly but,
そのできは圧巻だった
her performance was masterful.

Something like this I think.

5 Likes

Thank you.

Could you, or anyone else, break down 「手遊びなどと」for me? The rest I understand.

手遊び is a word that you can look up in a dictionary. It means a plaything, child’s play, and some other definitons, but because the sentence is about her being modest, I decided to translate it as “even a child could do it”.

など is a grammatical word that means “things like”. I’m not sure if it’s technically a particle, but it functions similar to one by attaching to the end of a word. Then the と is a quoting particle. In narration, the “said” or “thought” verb is often ommitted, which means they said the thing while doing the action in the sentence, which in this case was “acting modestly”.

1 Like

At least according to a Dictionary of Basic Grammar marks it a particle. It defines it as “and so on; and the like; for example; things like ~”.

@Nenad, here’s some more information from that entry for reference:

I definitely recommend this book if you have not bought it yet.

2 Likes

I’ve actually studied など, but this is not the first time I’m confused by its usage. It seems to me the Japanese use it places where I wouldn’t, and it’s sometimes even left untranslated, so that’s kinda weird, at least for me.

I ordered “A Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns for Teachers and Learners” recently, but it will take… a couple of months for it to ship to me :sweat_smile: It’s being shipped from Japan, so that’s why, I guess.

Wow, where did you buy it from? Amazon Japan will ship it to most places in just a handful of days. According to it, I could have it by Monday. Probably won’t buy it now but I’m putting that in a wish list of more future books to buy.

Fuck? I considered Amazon.de and Amazon.co.uk, but it seems like I didn’t consider Amazon.jp?! They say they could have it shipped between Tuesday, Mar. 19 and Monday, April 8.
I ordered it from Abebooks. Well, I don’t mind waiting that much, so whatever. Plus, I saved 6 euros by the looks of it!

I would recommend looking at it for future buys. The shipping is not necessarily cheap, so don’t just buy like a 5 dollar item because the shipping will seem enormous in comparison, but if you are buying multiple items it works out well. Plus I usually get my items from them within 2-3 business days. I get domestic Amazon orders slower most times then what I can get from Japan that has to go through customs.

1 Like

手遊び is more commonly used referring to hand play songs I think. A song with hand motions that go with it for toddlers to dance to. 手遊び can mean other things but since they are dancing, this is what came to mind for me.

I think your problem might be the と that comes after the など. It means that what comes before is a quote.

1 Like

That was also a problem. I learned that too on BunPro, but I always default to reading it as “with” :confused:

I need more “in the wild” practice.

It can only means “and” when preceded by a noun.

1 Like

:man_facepalming: makes sense. I’ll try to keep that in mind.

3 Likes

I got a notification from the post office that my package has arrived?! The earliest delivery date is 3 weeks from now! Fucking perfectionist Japs…

please note that while “japs” may seem like a common-sense abbreviation of Japanese, it was used as a racial slur during and after WWII (and sometimes now) in the US and is best avoided

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.