My Ultimate JLPT Grammar Guide

thank you very much for that, i’s been very useful! i’m teaching students for jlpt 5 and 4, and i’ve already solved some doubts with your pdf, for example about potencial form!

just a tip, your website, in the page of contact, is a bit slow… and it appears “ooops, something went wrong” in the left, where should appear a google maps.

First I just want to say that this is potentially a great resource. I really like the way you’ve summarized a lot of grammatical points so concisely. And your layout is very good!

But! You really need to run your example sentences past a native speaker. There are unfortunately many mistakes of usage that could lead others astray. I’m by no means close to native speaker level, nor have I attempted the JLPT at any level (I’d guess I’m between N4-N3 currently), but I am married to a native speaker who confirmed my critiques.

I started looking at the back of the PDF and a few things struck out at me:

私の仕事を終わるまで、私に来ない。
First, no Japanese would put that many 'watashi’s in one sentence (probably zero would be the correct number here), then the ‘ni’ is wrong, then ‘kuru’ should be ‘iku’, then you should use the potential form (行けない).

雨が降ったのに、外に行きたくなかった。
This doesn’t say what your translation says it does (the second part says ‘I didn’t want to go outside’. But the part before ‘noni’ should express a positive sentiment, otherwise ‘noni’ wouldn’t be used.

箸を使いにくいだ。
Should be 箸は使いにくいだ。

Anyway, I don’t mean to be discouraging because I really think this is an effort worth pursuing. Just find a friendly collaborator to proofread your work and you’ll have something really special!

9 Likes

This is great and all, but are you telling me the British “revise” before an exam?

“The verb 行く does not conjugated normally.”

There is a typo on page 30.

1 Like

Wow, thanks a lot!

Yep, we revise for exams. We don’t say we study for them.

1 Like

Amazing. You learn something every day.

1 Like

Hey this is awesome!!! I am downloading now!

Looks awesome! If you could somehow manage to do one for N3 before this december (where I take the test) you would be my hero.

I am getting Internal Server Error.

I am not able to download it. I keep getting “Internal Server Error”.

I got that too a few minutes ago, it’s back up running now.

Wow, thanks a lot, your guide is really clear and complete. It’s going to be really helpful!

Just wanted to add my thanks for sharing this :heart:

1 Like

Just want to reiterate my earlier point that while this is a good collection of N4 grammar, the example sentences are frequently poorly written Japanese. So be very cautious of using this as an authority in its present state. As far as I can tell, no native speakers were used in the production.

6 Likes

Noticed a very very small and minor mistake.

Capturewk

っ instead of つ.

EDIT:
Found Another.

One more:

5 Likes

applauds in broken Japanese

2 Likes

ATTN: @shadykit

Maybe download and binge this on your flight tomorrow?

EDIT: I guess it’s mainly N4 and N5 material so maybe not. But like, still. Just in case. You have like 20 hours.

2 Likes

There are sooo maaaaany errrrors in this. While this is free which is nice, and certainly a lot of effort was put into it, there are many actual JLPT textbooks that aren’t completely riddled with errors.

1 Like

Well, we can help improve this guide together, if we fix the typos, it’s a pretty good starting guide. Now, I know other good free sources are present as well, but the more the merrier? hehe :smiley:

2 Likes