My thoughts on floflo.moe

Ah, that make sense.
I feel like a warning or a popup or something would prevent further confusion, though :sweat_smile:

Well, I hadn’t decided if I was going to bother signing up. Wanted to get a feel for it.

But at least that solves the mystery.

This discussion has been really useful for understanding how the site works. Thank you everyone.

7 Likes

こんにちは!I recently got Floflo and I wanted to try it out with one of the free books available before I committed to buying a book on it so I chose Snow White. However, I noticed that the words aren’t in the correct order for the story on the vocab list… I found the words for the beginning eventually but it was very confusing. Also, are you supposed to learn the vocab words before reading through the story? And if so, how many words should you put into the lessons at once? I’m a bit confused, so I’d really appreciate any advice! ありがとう〜

2 Likes

Do you have an example?
At some point there was a problem with including the legal text at the beginning of a given book, but that should not be an issue with Snow White…

For learning, it’s up to you! You can go to a low frequency and add words as you come across them, or you can start by prelearning. In that case, people tend to go to a high frequency (say 10), learn all those words then go down progressively (i.e 9, 8 etc). Then you can still look at the freq 1 list while reading, ignoring words (as in, pressing the ignore button) you don’t want to learn. That doubles as a situational dictionary :slight_smile:

2 Likes

(@Raionus) You may have been seeing words that were for the copyright information of the book. Those usually show up before the actual beginning of the story itself. What I typically do is move however many words into lessons as I want to do on a particular day. So, I usually do 30 lessons a day and move those into my lessons and do them directly after. Typically, it seems like people do one of two things. Either, 1. add new words after you read a chapter and find words you do not know or 2. add all the words up to a certain frequency before beginning to read (or 3. some mixture of those two). I tend to do 3. Hopefully that is helpful!! Good luck!

2 Likes

Aozora Bunko doesn’t have any of that since it’s copyright-free.

@whiteseal1333
Do you have your frequency set to 1?

2 Likes

Sure! So the first word it gave me was 現れる but I didn’t see it in the first part of the story at all so I thought that was weird. I went down until I found a word I recognized さなか and it was the third word in the story. It’s around the 17th or 18th word in the list, though. I’m not sure where all the words before さなか are from… I just assumed they were out of order.

2 Likes

I do! I saw that it was recommended to put it to 1 or 2 so I set it to 1. I guess that would make sense if that’s true.
(@TamanegiNoKame) Thanks! So should I ignore the words that aren’t in the part of the story I’m reading?

1 Like

Oh for some reason there’s this at the beginning of my copy of the text.

【テキスト中に現れる記号について】

:ルビ
(例)女王さま

|:ルビの付く文字列の始まりを特定する記号
(例)三|滴の

[]:入力者注 主に外字の注記や傍点の位置の指定
(例)こくたん[「こくたん」に傍点]

I’ll fix it in a sec.

3 Likes

Ohhhh so that’s what that was! That does include all the words that I was confused about it seems. Thanks!

2 Likes

So it’s the same problem as with legal text, except it’s metadata this time :rofl:

You can check the frequency of the word (it appears as a tag I think). If it’s 3 or 4, that means that the word will appear somewhere in the text anyway.
What you can do is to let them sit at the top of your list until you actually meet them (or add if you find them interesting).
You can also wait for @Raionus to fix the list :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yeah should be fixed now. Thanks for reporting it.

Insert smug anime face

I’ve been working on it :sweat_smile:. There hasn’t been legal text for like the last twenty books now.

3 Likes

Somehow, that’s what came to my mind:

As for the starting text, I haven’t checked any new book yet, but I assumed you had done something about it, yes :joy:

6 Likes

@Raionus @Naphthalene @TamanegiNoKame Thank you! Y’all were really helpful ^^ I’ll be sure to come back here if I run into anymore problems!

3 Likes

Not that I dont want no hooligans posting in my thread or anything, but I would recommend posting any further issues in the floflo wk thread

3 Likes

what’s the difference between this and importing texts to japanese.io?
you can import stuff there for free, with no limits, it makes everything clickable and opens a popup dictionary, and at the end of your session, you can star-mark every word you’d like to keep in a list to export it to ANKI.

the site also has a news feed with articles from japanese new sites:

apart from getting a word count with frequency before you start, what does floflo have that japanese.io doesn’t?

I haven’t tried japanese.io enough to say for sure, but I think the biggest difference is that floflo remembers which words you already know, so that they won’t appear in the list.
It’s nice to know before hand that there are only say 500 words I don’t know in a given book.

Another plus for me is that my books are made of paper, so it’s harder to upload their content to anything :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

true. so there we have the difference. i don’t actually own any paper books anymore, hehe.

Also, does japanese.io show word frequency? If not, then theres no way to actually prioritize the common words which is a pretty big deal imo.

3 Likes