My third reset in almost ten years, and where to go from here

I first joined WaniKani in 2014, and over the years life took me away from the site and my reviews. I’ve gone on vacation mode a few times, reset a few times, and attempted to pop back in every so often. The last time I logged in was way before COVID so I believe a hard reset would be best for me. The question I have is though, what pace do you all go at regarding new lessons and reviews so it doesn’t get overwhelming? For context, I’m currently in my busiest year of med school and I can’t remember how many lessons I used to do each day/week. I’d appreciate any help/tips you have for this returner.

Thanks,
The-Ever-Returner

5 Likes

I pick an amount of kanji I’d like to learn per day, then do triple that of vocab.
I was doing 3 kanji and 9 vocab for a while and getting like 100 reviews a day.

But I think the most important thing is to make it a habit to at least review everyday and just do lessons whenever you have time/feel like it.

5 Likes

If your super busy I recommend focusing on review and maybe doing 5 lessons (10 max) a day. I do about 15 a day and average about 100-120 reviews every day.

1 Like

Yikes.

That sounds foreboding. Doesn’t med school also involve a ridiculous amount of memorization? I know Anki has become pretty much a defacto requirement for med students.

Learning to read a bit of Japanese has been a life-altering win for me, so I hesitate to steer anyone away, but maybe you’d be better served by waiting to begin again?

2 Likes

Since it’s a busy time in your life you can just try doing the bare minimum. Do 3 lessons a day until you aren’t as busy with school anymore and can dedicate more time to your Japanese studies. At the end of the day it’s not a race and slow progress is better than no progress.

2 Likes

For reviews, I would try to do every day, no matter whether 20 or 100.

For lessons, probably not everyday, also don’t do too many at a time. My idea is 10-15 is at a time. Also, work up on memory. Don’t trust too much on SRS for initial short-term memory. Learn to create mnemonic is a way.

Nonetheless, doing some lessons at all every week probably isn’t a bad idea.

If the target is level 60, prepare for 3 years or more. (Technically 2 years isn’t too hard, if not for competing priorities.)

I think some people use Anki for med school as well.

2 Likes

Busy mom of two kids ages 4&6 here. My comfortable average for completing reviews before I feel overwhelmed is About 30 per session. But I might do 0-3 sets of reviews per day. After 30 things just bleed together and my average percent correct starts to get into the 70% range. I took a long break from WaniKani and came back to 500 reviews. Again the 30 per session seemed to help. Took me a long time to finally get through them all.

2 Likes

I I think that is the best tips you can get.

When I am very busy, I still try to do 20, 50 reviews during the day. You don’t need to be fast. Take your time, sometimes I take 3, 4 days for one level, sometimes I take a month. The important thing is to do a little bit every day. It’s a long road.

1 Like

A good rule of thumb for me was keeping my apprentice cards around 100 to help prevent burnout.

Like most people saying, the key part is consistency. Burnout, long breaks, and resets will take you longer than going slow and steady. Something else to note is that I think it takes about 7 days or so for your review workload to catch up with your lessons (disclaimer: might be getting the exact number confused with Anki).

I’d target a number of reviews you feel comfortable doing every day. If you feel really motivated one day and want to go ham on reviews or lessons, think about the future you and just don’t! Practice another way, with leech training, mistake reviews, reading a book, or something else. It’s the you of that moment that can handle it - not necessarily the you a week from now.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.