My Kurosawa proyect

Ok, subs are up. Will do for the Criterion collection, but I guess other versions should be ok too. Some minimum time adjustment could be required.
In any case, there you have it.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this is something like it (sorry if it isn’t, then I understood it wrong), but this browser extension really helped me with practicing Japanese while watching Netflix. (Any other Terrace House fans here? :blush:)

You can inspect the subs line by line, and also view translations (entirely or per word). Furigana can be added to the subs as well.

(Btw, I am not in any way affiliated with the makers of this extension, I just really like it and think it’s worth mentioning.)

The idea is pretty much that. That addon does a very similar job to what Subadub does (which I basically use to download the subs from Netflix). The same developer of the later did the separate app that I mentioned: Voracious.

So you can do pretty much the same (and a bit more) than what’s possible with those addons but with any material that you have both video and matching subtitles (coming from Netflix, Youtube, or as I’m experimenting now also from DVDs :wink:).

I love to work with material coming from Netflix, since I can have video and matching subtitles right away for downloading. Thing is more about content. Netflix gallery is growing, but still, even in the Japanese Netflix I’ve runned with the issue of the variety been somewhat lacking on JDramas and then movies specially.

1 Like

Thanks for the Kurosawa subtitles!

What monolingual dictionary are you using in Voracious? I’m trying to get it to use Shinmeikai but it doesn’t take it.

1 Like

I’m using 大辞林 there. It has both monolingual and english built in, which I like when watching shows. That way I can quickly continue with watching without caring much for the monolingual def, but will be readily available if I don’t get a word or there’s more to it, which most of the time will be clearer after reading the monolingual def.

Even if you don’t have the EPWING dictionaries, 大辞林 is the built in japanese dictionary on the Mac, which in my case its automatically brought upon pressing all the way on the trackpad with a word selected.

I was having a tough day today but you just got me so friggin excited to check this out. Kurosawa is one of those directors I love but have yet to take the deep dive into.
I’ve seen Drunken Angel, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, and Ran not that long ago. I know I’ve barely scratched the surface, but each one of those movies have left huge impressions on me.

Thank you so very much for sharing this. As a film buff and former film worker, these kind of tools are exactly what is missing in my study routine.

1 Like

This is really nice. Thanks for your effort and an amazing job! Any ideas from where one can buy the box set? It can be a valuable collection :smile:

Thanks, will try to set it up today.

BTW, which Kurosawa film would you recommend for a movie buff but new to Kurosawa?

Ikiru and Rashomon are among my favorite ones. I would go with either to start with.
I’ve introduced people to Kurosawa with Seven Samurai (also a favorite) in the past, but since it last over 3 hours, I’m recomending first the other ones these days.

I have seen it on Amazon, but since it went out of print some time ago prices are kinda ridiculous now :man_shrugging:.

OH WOW THIS IS SUPER FANTASTIC! I could kiss you! A couple of weeks ago I was like, “oh yeah that would be so cool if you could actually do that” walk through a movie sentence by sentence and export them to Anki… But it actually turns out it’s possible and there is a program for this…??? :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

Huge fan of Kurosawa and enjoy Japanese cinema so much. Any chance you found subs for any of Yasujirō Ozu’s movies? Like you I had a hard time finding Japanese subs. Watching these movies and understanding what is said is one of the reason for me to learn Japanese…

As for Voracious, do you have any idea if it is possible to play the english subs along the Japanese one’s at the same time? or switch between them…? It would be extra cool if the Anki export would take the english translation from the english sub file…

Many thanks for sharing this.

1 Like

I have only a couple of japanese subtitles for Ozu’s movies: Tokyo Story and Good Morning. Let me know if you would like any of those, I can upload them.:ok_hand:

As for Voracious, you can work with both subs at the same time.

Like this:

Though as you can see in the example the japanese line won’t necessarily have the “exact” same meaning as the english translation. Some lines will fall in a different time stamp for the jp and enf subs, but more important, the phrasing will be often different, using different words in each language to deliver a similar message.

Ah yeah I got it to work and I see what you mean. Too bad but quite logically it works like that. Good though to get the gist of what’s being said. I’m not that advanced… made it to level 14 and sort of took a bit of a break after which I decided to reset my levels and refresh everything. Was looking for ways to incorporate more active listening and reading from the get go.

I learned to speak French fluently some time ago living 10 month in Montreal… Part of it was the exposure but a big part was having have stories dictated to by a teacher and having to write them down right from the start… Very frustrating at first as I was only able to write the first 5 words phonetically and got lost quickly in the jumble of sounds not knowing when a word actually started or stopped. Somehow I got to a point were I could write along phonetically and was able to hear individual words. Still making so many mistakes that I doubt it was readable to a French person. But once I got the separate words I would start to know how to write some easy ones and I would pick out a few others and correct those in the limited time allowed to look up stuff in a dictionary at the end. After a little while I got so good at hearing and recognising the sound combinations that I would write words I didn’t even necessarily knew the meaning off. It meant I could spend the 5 minutes correction time on actually correcting grammar mistakes. In my last dictation 10 months later I only made 2 mistakes and could understand the complete text written. It helped me learn how to construct sentences and made me pick up on how to conjugate verbs, how to use adjectives etc. etc. Something I didn’t think possible, I have once been tested for dyslexia because I was so bad at writing in my own language… Hehe.

I’m getting a bit long here sorry…anyway I’m looking for ways to push myself in this way with Japanese. Having this tool and these subs is really cool to have at hand. Giving more context to sentences and having the exact Japanese wording. And studying is just a bit more easy to do with content you enjoy. Although I might risk learning ‘old fashioned’ japanese…:grimacing:?

Ooh and I would love those Ozu’s subs… Tokyo Story is one of my favourites. I was kind of wondering how come Japanese subs are so hard to find? Are there so few around or is it the language barrier making it difficult to find them. :thinking:

2 Likes

Here are the subs for Tokyo Story and Good Morning then :+1: .

About japanese subs. I did found a lot of japanese movies and shows with their japanese subs while in Japan. Sadly the editions for western market don’t come with those.

A good start for working with Voracious could be getting yourself a VPN account to access japanese Netflix, something like FlixGrab+ for downloading Netflix content and then Subadub addon for downloading the japanese subs in Netflix. You could do the same without the VPN using Netflix originals. I think you have to change the language of your account to japanese for adding the option of japanese subs though.

Those tools added a huge variety of shows with their corresponding japanese subs to my routine. Start with something easier, shows you have already watched before would do, revisit your childhood days with some of those 80’s anime.
There’re some good movies too, though Netflix is still lacking in that department. I’ve watched Akira, Battle Royale, Sweet Bean and then some more. Not many classics thought :man_shrugging: .
I’ve become to like japanese dramas as well. Under that silly shows there are some really good ones too. The more I’ve gotten into japanese culture the more I appretiate the nuances those bring to attention.

Anyway, I’m not a native english speaker, but I consider myself fairly good using this language, and with all that I can remember about learning english I can only attest for immersion as the common ground in the learning process with japanese, all the rest I either have no clear memory on how it happened or it’s just too different with how me learning english occurred. :sweat_smile:

Great thanks again! Good tip with the VPN/Netflix, hadn’t considered that yet and will take a look into it. Not a native english speaker either (Dutch)… and yeah no clear memory of learning english either… just forced myself because I wanted to read all the content available on the internet. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sweet Bean is nice too. I’ll be looking for more films by Naomi Kawase. Recently saw Our Little Sister by Koreeda which I greatly enjoyed, and I read about other promising works by him. Tampopo is another one on my watch list now…

I guess I never really watched anime when I was young… do love the classics from Studio Ghibli though. Would love to watch those with subs…

How much of the story can you understand without subs? Have you been looking and started to study listening only recently?

I believe those are in the website I used and probably on kitsunekko too.

As for how much I understand… A lot sometimes, almost nothing others. :sweat_smile:

In Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai mostly the short lines. Audio was and issue and then were some aged words too that required to look further. I used listening mode in Voracious, stopping on most lines. Most of the time I’ll be using the manual mode where the video plays and I will stop every 10-20 lines. Sometimes is I didn’t listen correctly, others will be an unknown word.

Of course this is super specific to what I’m watching. I follow some calligraphy YouTubers. I won’t have subs for those and I’m perfectly fine most of the time, I know the terms there, and can guess most unknown words too. Once you watch a lot of a niche subject ita way easier.

Then if I have to tell you what the guy on the news is saying … :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:… You might get some really funky news report out of me.

1 Like

Ah ok cool, I had the time now to really take a look at the sub websites you mentioned and I’ve found them. Maybe I’ll discover some cool movies through those list, I’ll dive into it.

Sounds nice what you’re already able to understand though. Yeah I guess its logical it difference greatly for each type of media you watching/reading. Well, I wish you much fun improving :wink:

1 Like

I saw this link was up already in some other topic… but I just discovered this through a youtube video and thought if you didn’t yet know this application it might be a nice add-on to your current setup. Especially like the idea of adding screenshots to your Anki deck. Haven’t had the time to given it a testrun yet though. And supposedly it also includes the english translation from english sub if i’ve understood it correctly… but not quite sure that will work.

1 Like

Thanks, actually the current setup for me was sort of a step forward from using that software.You can check how my previous setup was set when using Subs2SRS. I think it makes a great listening pratice and overall a vocab building tool!

Voracious does that too in case you were missing the feature.

1 Like

:woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.