My Journey of 368 days (+ The Ultimate Guide for WK šŸ“– )

I havenā€™t used it myself, but I know other people who have had excellent luck with it, so I can definitely recommend it!

Iā€™d summarize it probably as ā€œupper beginnerā€, haha :sweat_smile:. In more concrete terms, Iā€™m solidly past N5, but I donā€™t think Iā€™m quite N4 yet. I should get there by the time Iā€™m done with Minna no Nihongo book 2, which should happen a couple months before I finish WK (theoretically Iā€™ll reach level 60 in about a year from now). Thatā€™s assuming Iā€™m able to keep going at the same pace Iā€™ve been doing for about a year now.

However, I think calling myself N5 is a little deceptive, because my kanji skill is absolutely a lot higher, and I know a lot of higher level vocab, so once my grammar catches up, Iā€™ll be able to dive into a lot of stuff that others at that level would struggle with, like manga and print books with no furigana. Iā€™ve spent some time learning how to write kanji, too, so Iā€™m really good at looking up unknown kanji, and Iā€™m decent at reading handwritten kanji. Iā€™m hoping Iā€™ll be able to go from MNN/WK to basically just reading the stuff that I really want to read without it being too much of a pain, since kanji shouldnā€™t be a problem, and grammar will be a lot less of one.

My listening isā€¦ okay. Itā€™s constantly getting better, but I still have a long way to go. Iā€™m able to catch bits and pieces of stuff from wrestling shows, but rarely full sentences. I have decent comprehension on my textbook listening exercises, though it varies. Iā€™m very heavily reliant on transcripts if I want to be able to understand wrestling stuff.

My speaking skill is nonexistent, haha. I havenā€™t practiced it at all. If I ever do work on it, it will be pretty far in the future, I think. My strength is absolutely in reading. Everything else is more of a struggle.

I talk about where Iā€™m at in a little bit more detail in this post in my study log, if youā€™re curious :blush:

3 Likes