My Japanese Learning Routine for JLPT N4 in December

Thank you, I just started listening to it - wow, that is different to everything I know. :slight_smile: So there is no transcript or so?

I’m going to strongly disagree with you on that statement. I don’t know whether KaniWani is the best tool for it, but in my experience practicing English->Japanese is important if you are trying to talk to other people. I eat dinner at a small sushi restaurant every week and the couple who own it don’t speak any English. The regularly try to talk with me and I am able to understand some of what they say. However, when I try to form a reply I have a lot more trouble coming up with the Japanese words even though I know that I have learned them. That inspired me to start doing KaniWani and Torii and I did notice an improvement in my ability to be able to remember the Japanese words when I am trying to mentally translate my answer from English to Japanese. I am pretty convinced that the improvement was because I actually practiced translating from English to Japanese.

4 Likes

Oh my goodness… I’ve just done a search, found it, installed it, tried it out, and it is wonderful! Thank you!

3 Likes

I listened to that when I first started Japanese and hated it. Other people might like it, for me it was awful. Lots, and lots of chat in English, with a host who thought he was funny but most definitely was not. It was pretty painful to listen to most of the time. But, then again, I also hate textbooks and that’s what JP101 is basically. But, like I say, other people seem to like it.

4 Likes

that

3 Likes

Nah, he just improvises everything and just does the whole thing in one cut. It is a great way to learn natural Japanese.

Don’t worry too much about stuff you don’t understand. You’ll pick up vocab passively. I often listen to new episodes a few times.

2 Likes

Listened to it for half an hour yesterday, understood a lot and really liked it! Will hear the same episodes again today! Thanks a lot! :smile:

1 Like

I think that’s a bad habit in the long run, though. I don’t want to look at a chair and think ‘chair’ -> ‘isu’. It should be second nature. Problem is a lot of words don’t translate to just one meaning and it is easy to learn wrong translations when you are just relying on one word. Not to mention sentence structures and the way you say things can be completely different in Japanese.

I’m not saying it can’t be helpful in some situations esp. in the beginning when your vocab is small, but I think it’s better to hear them in the wild, in use, and then use them yourselves. Also if you don’t know the word you can always explain it in other terms, which is an important skill to know. Don’t you ever sometimes forget words in your native language as well? :smiley:

My recommendation is to just listen, listen, listen to native conversations and those patterns and words will stick, in addition to the feel, grammar and rhythm of the language. Of course you have to then practice talking, too. I feel like people have limited time and spending time for english to japanese SRS is probably better spent in another way. Then you can advance faster to native material, which is key to success.

P.S I guess for me I think of it as a similar thing to learning to write kanji. Being able to write any word in kanji is an extremely time-consuming goal that may not have much practical value, and slows you down a lot in the beginning.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.