My first and last reason to quit WaniKani (not 河豚)

I see absolutely no issue. You’ll learn the Kanji you need in the wild, if you’re satisfied with the content up to 52, just quit and do other stuff :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

damn yall are making me question wether to quit or not

1 Like

I say don’t quit :blush:

2 Likes

what? still early no? get at least to lvl 28 and see if with n5 and n4 kanji you can live in the wild getting new words with the material you use for immersion.

2 Likes

Unpopular opinion: you should reset and do level 1. Then when you get level 2, reset and get to level 3. Then reset and get level 4.

Repeat until 60 and then reset again but this time do it backwards.

7 Likes

Do you feel like WaniKani is still giving you something? You should have plenty left to learn in terms of kanji at level 10 - don’t make WK your only source of Japanese of course, but knowledge-wise WK should have plenty to offer. Whether you enjoy it as a platform and whether it works for you however are questions only you can answer.

If it’s a simple matter of feeling burnt out on WaniKani, I’d say activate vacation mode, take a break, do some stuff you enjoy, then come back in a while.

3 Likes

What? ??? uh?

I think what Vanilla is trying to say is that you should do level 1, then start over again and do 1-2, then 1-3, then 1-4 and so on. It’s not entirely clear, though.

1 Like

Laugh at his joke and he will like you.

3 Likes

You got it right.

I don’t personally suggest that he do it. Just wanted to note that that is an unpopular opinion.

This is true. Having a catgirl profile picture will also make me like you.

@jneapan i see you :point_right: :point_right:

5 Likes

While you’re not wrong, there’s no denying it would make sure you’re never going to forget any of the WK kanji again… You know, if you’re willing to go through hell to learn them :sweat_smile:

Not sure if essentially traumatising yourself into remembering kanji is the healthiest way to learn Japanese though. I can just imagine someone actually doing this and their right eye just twitching whenever they see 四 anywhere…

1 Like

Koichi did give me lifetime, so maybe I should reset and make use of it. Realistically, that would take pretty long though so im not sure how feasable it would be. It would require you to level up close to like 1800 times I think just to get to level 60. Thats like 30+ years at 7 days a level. I’m expecting to be self assessed n3 by that time though, so I can’t be wasting my time with silly shenanigans

3 Likes

:flushed:

3 Likes

This is dog girl discrimination

6 Likes

6 Likes

mqdefault

3 Likes

3 Likes

I think you do have a point. I do see myself in your message. My first language is french, and some of the mnemonics make reference to cultural English things that confuse me. “if you know this thing, it will be easier for you!”, I then write my own mnemonics, sometimes something in french, which then I have to remember for future related words.

It is also worthy to note that some of these obscure words, while rarely used, are used in news/books, and knowing them will make your Japanese experience more natural. It is also important to note that WK is a kanji website and does not focus on important conversational words that are not kanjis. I think even Koichi did say that this should not be our only source to know Japanese.

I know this is from a few days ago but I thought it was interesting :blush:

omg, can we form a group of non-native english speakers so we can share these ironic moments though :joy: I’m a Vietnamese but i devoted a lot of my time learning English and have been reading lots of novels and media in English, but it looks like you need to be a native to fully understand quite a large part of Wanikani’s references. Some words like condor, hock and many others require a bit of googling and i find myself struggle more than usual. But then again, a bit more effort and you could learn much more than others could is an investment worth making right :grin:

2 Likes

exactly.

things like this

“You fall in the big hole. What did I just tell you not to do!? He’s totes (とつ) going to stab you for sure. Totes.”

we non native, this is not that easy to understand that totes part. I know it because seldom I watch teenager movies and usually they speak totally as totes.