My favorite thing about WaniKani so far

So I have been using WaniKani for about a month now and while whenever that little green box that appears when I get a question right give me a nice little injection of dopamine, it’s not quite my favorite part.

No, my favorite part of WaniKani is when you type in a reading and then pause because “wait a minute, this reading really doesn’t feel quite right.” You then look at it for a moment longer and realize that indeed your gut feeling was 100% correct and this reading of 日 is not にち but rather it’s じつ! You then quickly change it and the endorphins come rushing in and that feeling of accomplishment is near impossible to match.

Or what happens more often to me is I pause, and then foolishly ignore that instinct to which I am met with the evil red box and I vow to listen to my heart next time, promise.

26 Likes

My favorite thing about WaniKani so far is @Kumirei 's userscripts

19 Likes

The item I’ve reviewed more than any other (118 times) is one of these either-or pronunciation items.

A .700 batting average would be spectacular in baseball!

Pretty sure I’m batting this one out of the park the next time I see it though.

6 Likes

dawww image

9 Likes

You’ve said the same thing about that item in a different thread. Is it just an exaggeration to say you’ve gotten that word wrong many times or is there a way to actually see this?

Because there are a few words that I also keep getting wrong. I’d like to see that number as well!

I use the item inspector to see my worst offenders. Note that the leech table excludes items in stage 8 (enlightened) so I created a table that just sorts all unburned items by number of reviews rather than sorting by leech value or sorting leeches by review count.

If you want to know how many times you’ve reviewed a particular item without scripts, you can browse to that item’s detail page and scroll down to the section that shows how many correct answers you’ve given. The total number of reviews is the percentage of meaning or reading questions answered correctly (pick one) multiplied by the total number of times the question was asked (number shown to the right of the bar). This is an approximation, though, because of rounded percentages.

My worst offender is 人情 but I will probably never mistake the reading ever again (just one more review in another month or two).

Item Inspector Configuration

Here’s how I configured the item inspector.

First: gear-icon → Tables → New. Give it a title that makes sense to you. Then configure the Contents tab as follows:

Then click on the Filter tab and select all SRS stages from Appr1 to Enlightened (not sure why the screenshot mentions burns):

Here are my results. Note that I DO NOT consider the large number of reviews on any of these a problem. In fact, I think I need several more reviews for many of them. I think this is normal: some items just take a lot of repetitions to stick, but I’ve yet to come across any that don’t stick eventually. Personally, I believe the most important thing is to manage the size and makeup of your assignment queue. Leeches mostly take care of themselves (eventually you get so sick of seeing them that you figure out what’s causing the problem).

It’s useful to look at lists of leeches and high-review-count items periodically, but it’s nothing to worry about.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I followed the instructions for the item inspector and this is my hall of shame:

I was going to do it manually but nah. I actually wanted to see all dem fookers who are giving me problems. 138!!! lolol

2 Likes

Peaky Blinders fan? :grin:

We share some of the same ones (with many others, I’m sure).

I’ve recently installed the confusion guesser (be sure to follow the directions for enabling IDS). It should help with some of those easily confused ones (住人(じゅうにん) and 主人(しゅじん), etc.). I also found the Niai Visually Similar Kanji and Keisei Semantic-Phonetic Composition scripts quite useful for figuring out why many of mine were giving me difficulty.

btw congrats im where youre at but… ive been at it for 5 months XD

probably just need to be more dedicated, I usually only study at work.

1 Like

:eyes: (made me laugh)

2 Likes

Oh. lol
I work 12 hour shifts, so I usualy fill a portion of that time with studying. I’m always very busy outside of work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh wow, you’ve been around a while! Super neat dude :smiley:

Read your bio, you seem like a pretty knowledgeable guy. nice to meet you

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.