My experience

I want to share my experience with the site owners/creators.

Learning radicals is fine, but not when there is a kanji that’s exactly the same and has a different meaning and sound.

I don’t know if there’s a useful reason for this, but it’s so extremely frustrating to me that I won’t be continuing with wanikani. For me personally, it would be easier to just memorize individual kanji with something else (e.g. memrise or anki).

2 Likes

Radicals are fundamental to your kanji studies, even if you choose to go ahead with Anki. The radicals make learning kanji soooo much easier. Besides, the radicals only have a name, there is no reading to conflict that of the kanji. The reason why the radical name and the kanji meaning are different is so it can be used in mnemonics in the future, it’s not too different from learning the names of the characters in the alphabet before learning words.

14 Likes

Also, nothing prevents you from adding your own definition to the radicals.
(You will need to come up with your own mnemonics instead for kanjis using that radical, but that’s not much of a problem either)

1 Like

Okay. Good thing we know now.

16 Likes

I don’t care too much about the radicals. I always hit the ignore button when I get them wrong in reviews (every time 反 comes up I answer anti instead of devil, for example). But they’re there, and they kind of help when learning kanji sometimes. So it’s fine.

3 Likes

BTW, they’re adding all the kanji meanings as invisible synonyms on radicals in the future. And an overhaul to the radicals is being worked on, but won’t be rolled out til it’s 100% done.

22 Likes

This is all I ever wanted

11 Likes

To me this wasn’t a big deal at all, but if it bothers you it bothers you.

I wish you the best of luck learning kanji with the resource you eventually decide to go with :blush:

7 Likes

Well, I guess you’ll know after trying Memrise and Anki :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

Alright. Well we want our goody bag back then.

6 Likes

Like @vargsvans, it didn’t bother me because I assumed there was an underlying reason to it (at the time).

But on a related note, is there any reason to have a feedback category when many times the topics are directed toward the designers? Wouldn’t it reduce the amount of these kind of topics from being created?

Now that I think about it, probably not.

Isn’t that kind of the point? It’s directed to the designers, but sometimes us users can jump in and help shed light on some of the “issues” that users are complaining about. If it’s a legit issue, usually Viet or someone will jump in and post to address it.

There’s nothing that guarantees anyone who works for Tofugu will see a thread posted in this category. If you want to directly interact with them, they have an email.

I mean, I get that people want to vent, but yeah, venting to us, who can’t do much and love the site, usually isn’t going to achieve much.

7 Likes

It would be more productive for them to email them directly than to have people who didn’t design the site trying to explain executive decisions they didn’t make to the OPs of these kinds of threads.

1 Like

You and Leebo are both right, of course, but I was under the impression that the devs actually want users to post here first so we can intervene (when applicable) and save them a response to an email. But that’s just my assumption.

Either way, this one was easily debunked by us informing OP about synonyms and also the reasoning for radicals in the first place. Whether or not OP stuck around to see responses, I don’t know. shrug

I get where you’re coming from. But I totally understand why they created this category.

3 Likes

I dunno why this grinds my gears so much, but Ive seen a lot of radical complaining over the past week or two and I just don’t get it. Without radicals I wouldn’t know a third of the kanji I do now. Take this from somebody who has not only attended a Japanese language school, but has lived in japan and has been studying Japanese on and off for years… I really really don’t care if i need to spend three extra seconds to learn a radical name, even if its a stand alone kanji, if it means helping me piece together bigger kanji in the future.

I went to Japanese school, paid a lot more than 9$/month in tuition, and left truly learning and remembering one god damn kanji. Because of these stupid little radicals and mnemonics my brain can now identify and actually read like 300+ kanji in a few months of lax study. That’s insane.

Japanese is not an easy language, there are no short cuts or speed boosts. take the few seconds, learn the radical. Then you can learn the 150 kanji that use that radical.

I just needed to vent goodbye

26 Likes

As you say, there’s a reason for this category, but far too often it’s just a repeat of similar suggestions. Maybe the hope would be potential posters would search to see what was suggested previously? But seeing how topics on other categories are frequently reinvented without the thought of even checking whether there was an existing thread, the possibility of absolving one’s responsibility to answer questions one doesn’t feel like responding to also serves a purpose. It can get overwhelming answering the same questions repeatedly especially by users who’ve decided to stop using the service.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more. I like to think that there are still some users that do use the search and end up not creating a new thread, therefore giving purpose to our efforts. :slight_smile:

I also agree with this. But I like to think that we’ve also convinced some people to stay via this category.

1 Like

Being bothered by a handful of radicals really seems irrelevant when you’re committed to learn 2,000 kanjis, imo.

And the community’s answers are always the same, too. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The usefulness of WK’s radicals becomes very apparent down the line when they are used to distinguish very similar looking kanji (if I had more time to write this post I would try to find an example…). Just thought I’d throw that out there, there is a reason it’s like this.