My biggest problem with Japanese

Delicious.

5 Likes

I’m not sure how it’s in English, but as for Polish, I remember from grammar lessons in grade school, that for such “sentences” without a verb we had a separate grammar category called “sentence equivalents”.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how it is in English either, but I think of them more as expressions than full sentences.

きれい~ is a better example.

I was told that’s just how it is in conversation, iirc. I’m sure someone else could elaborate.

I sort of feel like with i-adjectives, that’s more of disconnect between English and Japanese because they aren’t really adjectives like we know them. In a way they behave more like verbs than adjectives, since they already include the copula. I guess 美味しい might be translated as “To have good flavor “ or “The flavor is good” instead of “delicious”. The “to be” is there, it’s just already included in the word.
Of course me trying to explain this makes me realize how uninformed I am on the topic :’D

1 Like

Funny you mention Asakusa, I watch a lot of this carving guy on Youtube called David Bull who’s got a shop in Asakusa so I got introduced to the place with the correct pronounciation.

I didn’t know anything about the place so until I saw it written down I thought it was the pronouncation of Osaka for some reason???
So I still managed to mess it up somehow www

3 Likes

Will dropping the い make it feel better? 「(さむ)!」 is also a sentence on its own

3 Likes

So far, probably the head-final grammatical structure. It’s something that will definitely take getting used to.

I don’t think I will ever get used to it.

1 Like

honorific. 100%!

I realized that after studying with bunpro. Since I have seen some users there in forums saying they wont work in Japan or speak ultra politely, so they just skip those honorific grammar points.

Nowadays I dont even pay attention to them anymore in reviews, I only answer when I know some that I knew previously and I used them or seen them in the wild. Very complicated.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.