My Beginner "Stack" - Feedback

Hello all! I am a week or so into my studies and have settled on the following daily stack for studying as it seems to take the majority of my free time into account when not at my 9 - 5 job. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

• WaniKani - Kanji & Vocabulary (Twice per day)
  • N5 1000 - Vocabulary (1 section per day with self-testing)
  • tadoku.org - General reading practice (At least 1 graded reader per day)
  • Tofugu Hiragana and Katakana Tests - Daily Hiragana/Katakana memorization (until they’re burned in like the English alphabet)
  • Genki 1 - Grammar (Waiting for the book to arrive, but planning on daily study)
  • Any and all secondary media and electronic devices in raw Japanese without subtitles (Music, YouTube, Video Games, Phone/PC language, etc.) - Immersion training

Is there anything that I’m missing?

ありがとうございました

2 Likes

Good luck.

5 Likes

Looks good :slight_smile:
You can also consider using Bunpro to reinforce the grammar you learn in Genki.

1 Like

Good luck! Just wondering if you’re going to stick to a time limit for some activities (eg. study Genki 1 grammar for 10 minutes everyday). From personal experience, learning JP can become a huge time sponge, and you have quite a few daily goals, which has the risk of eventually becoming overwhelming. And of course, considering using your schedule for a few weeks or a month and adjust accordingly if you feel that’s needed.

2 Likes

I’m going to feel it out once Genki comes in and set realistic time constraints based on the lesson plans. Currently I’m still able to do all JP studying, cooking, working out, and getting to bed at 11ish without feeling overwhelmed. I will for sure keep that in mind though as I don’t want to burn out. Thank you!!! :blush:

Bunpro looks awesome! Thanks for the suggestion :smiley:

1 Like

agreed, i also just learned about it from this thread and gave it a go. i like the UI alot and the wanikani integration is :chefskiss:

You’re doing way too much! O_O

This is not a balanced diet for long-term studying as far as I can tell. Just be realistic about stuff here. The one priority is to complete your kana-studies, as those are required for everything else. Then perhaps, choose one thing besides doing WK 2 times a day. (if completely new to Japanese, then grammar is the best shot, leave the rest for later).

Just do immersion as a way of relaxing initially and choose what to immerse in accordingly. And remember to just not study Japanese but just do whatever as that will always be important ways to spend your time; doing what you like right in the moment. Never forget that feeling and plan your studies accordingly!

That’s how you don’t burn out. If you keep on enjoying yourself and not overdoing it! :+1:

7 Likes

I do tend to be the type of “go hard or not at all” kind of person but I want to be in this for the long haul, so I’ll take your advice to heart. I’ve (surprisingly to myself) found V-Tubers a nice relaxing way to spend my non-studying/non-working time. Thank you for your advice and concern! :bowing_man:

Side note: I am totally done with Kana (I studied it a long time ago) but I want to make sure it sticks. That was the first and only thing I focused on before doing anything else as you rightly stated. :slight_smile: Thank you again!

2 Likes

As you get started with reading Japanese, kana will stick for real I think. :slight_smile: or any manga-reading where furigana is used. You quite quickly get used to it, and it’s a good way to focus more on vocabulary anyway, so that’s my tip for now - for immersion: manga with furigana - main focus to learn more words, but secretly, to get accustomed and learn more kanji (though don’t learn them now for reals, just see them for now and enjoy the story!).

2 Likes

There’s no production - speaking or writing. (Also I think it’s too much, but if you’re enjoying it, might as well do as much as you want until burnout sets in). But I would give up one or two of those things to add some time to USE the vocabulary and grammar you know to form your own sentences and thoughts, instead of just repeating (or passively reading in your head) textbook examples.

1 Like

Perhaps add ToKini Andy to supplement if needed.

3 Likes

As @ekg said, you don’t need to test yourself separately on kana if you’re already getting reading practice with it.

the cool tinhg aubot the Egilnsh aflabet is taht you can sitll raed tihs precfetly fnie snice yuo’ve spnet yeras and yeras of yuor lfie raeding it eervy snigle day. You got taht good at redaing not thrugoh rote momerization, but thrugoh contetxaul espoxure. Our brians LVOE assotiacion and it’s how we form our momeries. Ten menuits of cotextnural leanring wlil hlep way mroe in the lnog trem.

That being said, there’s no harm in doing those tests, especially for certain katakana you may see less often like ヌ and ヲ, or for kana you may mix up like the shih tzu sons (シツソン). As long as you aren’t spending very long on it and it’s more of a warm up it’s fine I think.

2 Likes

Cotextnual*, smh. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

What does this mean exactly?

At any rate my advice would be to favor WaniKani early on (i.e. spend most of your time drilling kanji) because it will make studying everything else easier if you can read basic kanji without having to look things up all the time. Then as you progress you can shift your focus to other areas. I’m not saying that you should only do WK mind you, just that you get amazing returns memorizing the first ~500 most common kanji.

Also everybody works differently and has different objectives, so while the routine you outline seems very reasonable it’s possible that you’ll discover that it’s not really working for you and you’ll have to adjust. For instance while many people use and recommend Genki, I couldn’t stand it personally, way too didactic and school-ish for me. I vastly preferred using Tae Kim and Cure Dolly to study the basic grammar and then mostly Bunpro for the more advanced stuff.

But again, to each their own, use what feels right and stay disciplined and you’ll make it!

2 Likes

That’s very true, and that certainly works for Japanese vocabulary as well, the more time I spend reading Japanese the more I realize that I can immediately identify certain words while I fail the WaniKani review for the individual kanji in isolation. For instance I messed up 絶 the other day, I couldn’t remember what the kanji meant or its reading, but I never fail to read 絶対 for instance.

(Also as a small nitpick: the shuffling you showcase here is not a feature of English in particular, I expect it works with any language written with an alphabet. Нпиармер, ты моешжь селадть это и на рукоссм якызе. Ou mmêe en fnçraais ça mrhace assui.)

4 Likes

ToKini Andy is great! I plan on using his material as a supplement just as you suggested. :slight_smile:

I actually recently got introduced to a native speaker through a co-worker that agreed to be an e-mail pen pal of sorts so that I can practice “writing” which in my current case is using the Google keyboard. I do agree that more frequent usage of the material will help it set in better. I’ll adjust to make sure that I get those reps in. Thank you!

I think what I’m doing would be best categorized as a “warm-up”. I’m not spending more than 10 minutes on the hiragana/katakana tests combined.

The N5 1000 book is divided into Chapters and sections in those chapters. The vocab that you are learning is written in red and it comes with a nifty red translucent sheet that allows you to hide the vocab word while still being able to read what the context and English equivalent is.

WaniKani is the majority of my studying time currently. I figured that learning vocabulary and kanji reading would help with studying the other sections.

Yup!!! Thank you!

I have already noticed this in my graded readers that I’m immediately saying the word out loud reading the Kanji without reading the furigana, while the WK reviews are much more difficult.

Thank you all for the responses the WK community is amazing. I’m feeling a lot less like I’m on an island with this. :heart:

4 Likes

Ah ok I wasn’t familiar with those books. I’m going through the Bunpro N5 vocab deck at the moment (I already know 90% of the words but I want to make sure I cover all the bases). It’s fairly enjoyable so far. I like that they have a bunch of sentences for every word so you’re not always practicing the same word in the same context.

Another invaluable resource if you do Genki: :slight_smile:

1 Like