Moving to Japan!

I will be moving to Japan in a few months for the JET program. I am looking for any advice on what aspects of Japanese language I should focus on to survive everyday life in Japan. Anything would be helpful, Thanks!!

2 Likes

I mean, thereā€™s nothing you actually need you could live your whole life and not know any Japanese there. But, I think the answer is pretty clear, just think of daily life and where you might have gaps in your knowledge. å®šęœŸåˆø态ęŒÆč¾¼ć€those are words I didnā€™t even think of before coming to Japan, but there are plenty of other more common things, like going to the store and the keigo you will hear at said store, that you should work through as well

4 Likes

Lots of folks are talking about the JET program here: https://community.wanikani.com/t/aspiring-2018-jet-applicants/18200/184

You can probably find some good advice in there.

1 Like

Food names, for when youā€™re shopping at the supermarket or convenience stores. Typical interactions with cashiers at aforementioned stores. If youā€™ve got allergies, then certainly learn to recognise allergen information on food packaging.

Street signs.

How to ask directions - and, possibly more importantly, how to understand the response.

1 Like

For general information, I would recommend reading some threads on reddit.
There are many people asking questions that you might be interested in.
There is also an AJET Facebook group for Incoming 2018 JETs.

Tofugu also has some JET guides.
Pretty good information.

For language, I think learning Hiragana and Katakana would help you a lot. Even if you donā€™t know what it means, at least you can spell it out.
If you need to know some words, a self introduction would be nice. Youā€™ll be saying your introduction many times.
Please, thank you, excuse me, and Iā€™m sorry are some useful phrases.

1 Like

As somebody else has said, everyday life in Japan without knowing much Japanese is not very hard. Especially if youā€™re on JET, itā€™s probable you will have a support network of JETs nearby that can help you out if you donā€™t know much. (Which can actually be frustrating if you are trying to improve your skillsā€¦). Not to mention your English teacher coworkers who may be able (and even willing!) to help you with various aspects of everyday life.

That being said, if you want to practice everyday language usage, focus on stuff like shopping and small talk. Make a simple jikoshoukai and memorize it. (ā€œNice to meet you, Iā€™m so-n-so, Iā€™m from blah-blah, Iā€™m ___ years old, I like Spongebob squarepants, Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.ā€ etc.) You might even want to just pick up a Japanese phrasebook and start memorizing the stuff inside for practical purposes (travel, eating out, etc.). Take note of stuff you already do in your daily life and practice phrases associated with that in Japanese, because everyday living isnā€™t very different in Japan once youā€™re settled.

Iā€™m currently on JET and about to finish my second year. Overall, Iā€™d say the most important thing about learning the language here, at this stage, is simply understanding whatā€™s going on around me, especially in the workplace. A close second is being able to form relationships with people. However, thatā€™s something you can definitely work on while youā€™re here and donā€™t need to stress on before you make the trip. Your feelings and intent are more important than language skills when you make your first impression, so just buy some nice omiyage to give out and practice that self-introduction. :wink: And get to work early.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.