Mountain climbed

That was fun. Really. One of the most rewarding challenges I’ve taken on.
This all just started as a way to fill the time I had to study music when covid hit and singing became taboo. I saw an ad somewhere. Learn 2000 kanji and 6000 vocab in as little as a year…Why not, I said. I had no reason to climb it other than it was there.
Then…Aspergers met Wanikani and it was, well, 一目ぼれ。THIS WAS FOR ME.
Little did I know that by this point I would be able to read easy Japanese and am starting to be able to listen to podcasts and anime. Now I see no reason to stop learning the language. It is just such a wonderful hobby and so so good for me.
I want to say thank you to the people who created this unbelievable site that can have someone reading Japanese within a year with the aid of some grammar texts (I got through Genki 1 and 2 and Tae Kim with some CureDolly in there). I’d also like to say thank you to the WaniKani community, huge shout out to Trunklayer for being well just the best cat ever…thank you for keeping me here when I wanted to leave. Social groups are a scary minefield for Aspergians (and I KNOW you’re out there), but thank you for being so kind. Huge thank you to Plantron, EKG, patternfinder for being so entertaining with all your posts. You have a gift for humour. Thanks to all the artists on the art appreciation thread. There is some serious talent there. Thanks to doggo appreciation thread, cat appreciation thread, orange cat trading post, froggo appreciation thread, marine life appreciation thread and of course the fox appreciation thread! for making me smile when the world has me down. Oh and the nature appreciation thread…how could i forget

I know people like the stats…

Kind of limped past the finish line there. Without a reorder script it got REALLY hard to buckle down and get through those vocab to get to the new kanji.
If I were to do it all over I would install a reorder script and a double check. Those two would have significantly improved speed (if this is something you care about). But otherwise I think the program works great the way it is.

Take home message. YOU ALL are capable of getting to level 60. Age is irrelevant. This program is a matter of pressure and time. If you show up and do the work you will get through it. I recommend showing up at least once, preferably twice a day.

OH. I forgot the most important thing…THERE IS CAKE!!!

See you in book clubs.
Good luck to everyone. YOU CAN!!!

54 Likes

congrats! that was fast!

the cake is beautiful… but have a few more!

11 Likes

Congratulations! :tada:
I knew you can do it!
Foxes are good at climbing!

May this be the first in a long streak of great achievements by you! :fox_face:

Also, please, don’t forget about this commeownity! :cat2:
I really hope that you’d stay here or at least visit from time to time! :fox_face:
You are always welcome here! :fox_face:

11 Likes

Congratulations! :crabigator: :cake:

6 Likes

Much congratulations! :partying_face:

9 Likes

Congratulations!!! :tada: :partying_face: :fox_face:

Here, have a fox climbing a (much smaller) sweet mountain than you did!

7 Likes

:confetti_ball: :fox_face: :confetti_ball:
Congratulations! I’m happy for you :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand:
I’ll be climbing up after you now, all level 60 posts are so inspiring to me :upside_down_face:

Enjoy your :cake:

6 Likes

Thank you. I felt the same way about them! Can’t wait to read yours! The cake is delicious. Fondant icing mmmmmm…

5 Likes

I love the ‘age is irrelevant’ comment. So true. Congrats with this amazing achievement!

6 Likes

hopefully we’ll all see you at the top soon, OP-san :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Congrats. Managed to do it fairly quickly aswell. :nerd_face: :point_up_2:

2 Likes

Fast as I could manage without a reorder script. It got a bit exhausting during the fast levels. I do have a full time job…had to cut myself off at work. Kanji are great but not worth a meeting with administration. :joy:

2 Likes

The best thing about NOT having reordered is I don’t have a mountain of vocabulary lessons to tackle now. I don’t think I would have enjoyed that.

2 Likes

I’ve already changed my strategy and I use a Backlog filter after leveling up to go through the remaining vocab first before getting the next level’s lessons. The trailing vocab is like having a 20 pound tail always keeping you off-balance.

4 Likes

I think the key is to use the reorder judiciously. Use it to get right to the new kanji for the sake of time (if time is something you care about). But then make sure to still get through the levels vocabulary before getting the next levels kanji. I’ve seen a few people giving that a try. I think it would have worked well for me.

2 Likes

Yeah trailing vocab, then new radicals and the first wave of kanji, then new vocab, then 2nd wave of kanji and vocab, rinse and repeat. Doing it that way keeps you at 0/0 more often without having to have a day where you spam 100 lessons and get gut punched on a review day down the road.

2 Likes