Most recent non-WK kanji you've learned?

I’m lazy and don’t note down all the new kanji I come across but some that stand out (or cropped up a few times)

餅 もち - mochi

頬っぺた ほっぺた - cheek

揃える そろえる - to complete

2 Likes

I think this is more accurately ‘to gather together/collect’. ‘To complete’ is not wrong, but I think it’s just an extension: when you finally ‘gather’ all the items in a complete set, then you’ve ‘completed’ the set.

1 Like

驟, in the word 驟雨(しゅうう). It means sudden downpour.

3 Likes

叶う : かなう I saw this verb in Genki 2 (I don’t think they used the Kanji) with meaning: to come true (of a wish, prayer, etc.); to be realized; to be fulfilled​ (Jisho); 思ったおりになる(例解学習)。Also there are other Kanji that I used for かなう for other meanings but my keyboard picks this one for some reason.

1 Like

I searched this topic for 餌 but could not find any entry. This is odd since I just saw this Kanji here on this WK context sentence:
をあげないでください。
Jisho:
餌 ( えさ )

1. (animal) feed; fodder; pet food
  2. bait; lure; enticement​
2 Likes

A friend of mine mentioned that きのこ is mushroom, and, having just learned that 竹の子 (たけのこ) is bamboo shoots, I wondered if I might have actually learned the kanji for that, so I looked it up on jisho, and as it turns out, a 木の子 (きのこ) is a “mountain-dwelling demon resembling a child​,” but a 茸 (きのこ) is a mushroom.

I was a little surprised that 茸 isn’t in WK, but I’ve already learned the radicals to remember this one: flower ear, which actually isn’t bad for creating a mnemonic for mushroom!

5 Likes

When you visit Japan, you might possibly want to refrain from mentioning both of those in the same sentence, unless you want to find yourself in the middle of a pitched battle. :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

I’ve tried them both once. That was enough for me.

4 Likes

I’m not sure either of those sentences is the sort of thing you’re supposed to admit to in public. :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

This is a pretty random one that I mentioned in a post last month when talking about if I learn kanji in isolation. Funny to see someone else bring it up

While I’m here, 梃 from 梃子でも動かない

4 Likes

咳 a cough (noun / suru verb )

池田さん 風邪で咳が出るのに、タバコばかり吸っています。

Ikeda-san wa kaze de seki ga deru no ni , tabako bakari sutte imasu. Even though Ikeda is coughing from a cold, all he does is smoke cigarettes [he is (still) smoking all the time].
Chino, Naoko. All About Particles (Kindle Locations 1989-1994). Kodansha USA. Kindle Edition.

1 Like

I searched this topic but did not find previous entry for 些 used in 些細 Na-adjective, Noun 1. trivial; slight.​ Unrelated: any ideas why モノ (もの) is being written with katakana?

翅 in the word 鱗翅目(りんしもく). 翅 means wings (翼 can also be written 翅).

鱗翅目 means Lepidoptera, the order of insects that includes butterflies, moths etc (another word I didn’t know before).
Nowadays you would say チョウ目 in Japanese, 鱗翅目 is an obsolete term.

5 Likes

躾 (しつけ, training, discipline, teaching manners)

しつけ is a very common word, but I was curious what the kanji was, and it’s pleasantly easy to remember. 身を美しくする.

5 Likes

I’ve seen 躾 written in kanji in books a few times. It probably had furigana, but I can’t remember.

It looks like it has no on’yomi, which is interesting. Is it rare to have kanji with no on’yomi?

2 Likes

It’s a kokuji. Like 峠. That’s one of the common characteristics of Japanese-invented characters that aren’t keiseimoji (so, unlike 働 which is a kokuji, but is based on 動, so the onyomi came along for the ride).

5 Likes

佻 (read ちょう, as one would expect)
In the word 軽佻浮薄 — frivolity, shallowness, superficiality.

A 訓読み for 佻 is かる.い

So the word 軽佻 basically means かるい+かるい. Meaning-wise, it’s close to 軽率.

5 Likes

伝承: Folklore, tradition etc.

Those are both WK kanji. 伝 is in level 11, and 承 is in level 34. But I guess you were thinking that it’s a non-WK word.

窟 - cavern

4 Likes