Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

More or less not as bad as I thought it would be, though it is more difficult than what I usually read. I’m just on page 23 or something, though. It does use some difficult kanji and has few furigana, so I have to do a lot of search by radicals.

Funny fact, I started warching the anime, saw like 7 episodes and then saw a comment by @Naphthalene mentioning the novel. I didn’t know it was a novel originally and bought it immediately :slightly_smiling_face:

新世界より is on my list of books to eventually read. But I’m pretty far off from being able to handle something like that I think.

Verbally I already knew this, but I always wanted to know the kanji for it. 正解。

A couple of new ones for me:

常識 (じょうしき) - common sense; general knowledge; social etiquette

超越 (ちょうえつ) - transcend; go beyond (する-verb)

These two words appear in a rather famous scene from Yu-Gi-Oh. After Seto Kaiba screws the rules and draws the Fang of Critias (クリティウスの牙) from outside his deck, he is able to summon awesome theme music his Doom Virus Dragon.

Doing so involves fusing a monster card with a trap card, which is highly unorthodox, so he exclaims:

俺は常識を超越する!

This scene is perhaps most famous for the subtitle to this phrase and all its meme potential:

“I have just transcended common sense!”

This is quite a literal translation, but it does appear to be accurate. Still, the Crunchyroll subtitles give a slightly more down-to-earth translation:

“I transcend what can be done!”

超越 is quite an interesting word. It uses two kanji with similar meanings and the same kun’yomi. These two kanji appear in the verbs 超える and 越える, both of which mean “go beyond” or “cross over”, but with some difference in usage.

I’m actually working on a video about kanji compounds and the different ways they can be put together. What you’re describing happens a bit. Like, 倉 and 庫 are both words that mean warehouse and are pronounced くら, and they come together to make 倉庫 (そうこ), warehouse.

Sounds interesting; looking forward to it!

I encountered 倉庫 recently in a discussion about Cangjie (倉頡) input.

It was one of those times when I got what I thought was an epiphany (“Of course! 冷ぞうこ! Cold storehouse!”) only to be show down immediately thereafter (“Oh, it’s spelled 冷庫.”)
I’m assuming the meanings are quite closely related, though.

Yes, 蔵 is yet another kanji that means warehouse and is read くら, just with another onyomi, ぞう as you noticed.

Ah, interesting; I had assumed it was read ぞう in this case due to lenition of some sort (not quite rendaku, since I don’t think the preceding れい would induce that, but something similar), but now that I look it up it seems that ぞう is indeed the most common on’yomi reading of 蔵, even at the start of words.

Speaking of which, my most-recently learned Japanese word is now

蔵書 (ぞうしょ)
personal library; collection of books

(although I’d be lying if I said I could write 蔵 from memory)

半ば(なかば)middle, half, semi, halfway, partly

Just now, opening a murakami novel to a random page. The word jumped out at me, I looked it up, and now I’m here

大丈夫(です) I think that’s the one? I keep hearing it while watching Akatsuki no Yona, and it seems to mean something like “it’s ok” or “I’m fine”.

Yup, very useful word; I heard it quite a lot when I was in Japan.

It’s sometimes cited as an example of false friends in Japanese and Chinese (that is, words that are superficially similar but mean quite different things):

• Japanese: “OK; out of danger; affirmative”
  • Chinese (Mandarin): “a gentleman; a man’s man; a man of character”

The Japanese word presumably had the same meaning as the Chinese word at some point, but as time went by the two meanings diverged. However, the origin of the phrase are still clear to see:

大 - big, grand
丈 - length, height, stature
夫 - husband, man

According to Wiktionary, the word has later been borrowed back into Chinese as internet slang for “OK”.

As for my latest words:

I was listening to an episode of ひいきびいき about IKEA.

Early in the episode, they mention:

IKEAはスウェーデンはっしょう[yada-yada-yada]販売店

I could more or less guess what はっしょう meant (being pretty スウェーデンはっしょう myself and therefore considering it my patriotic duty to be well-versed in IKEA:n lore), but I still felt I should look it up, so I typed はっしょう and then selected the first suggestion from the IME dropdown list.

It was

発症 (はっしょう) - outbreak of an illness; onset of an illness; outbreak of symptoms

That’s right, everybody: IKEA is an illness that started in Sweden, but which has since become a pandemic.

Of course, the word they were using was actually:

発祥 (はっしょう) - origin; appearance of an auspicious omen

So, now I know both 発症 and 発祥! They both describe the onset of something, but one involves a foot wrapped in sickness and the other a spirit sheep that brings tidings of joy.

南緯 southern latitude

休憩きゅうけい時間じかん - rest period, intermission, recess

A very useful word

Just came across this word that I quite like:
以心伝心(いしんでんしん)- unspoken understanding and communication
As if two people are communicating from heart to heart. I think that’s beautiful.

I came across it while reading 血の轍 which also taught me
轍(わだち)- tire tracks (or the ruts in the road that come specifically from car tires)

Mhm as a general rule, whenever you see 発 you can usually assume there’s an onset of something and that it tends to result in a change, be it good or bad.

If you’re interested in more words like that (and it’s in the list as well) check out my yojijukugo thread.

Haha I think I posted in that thread already? But thanks! I should bookmark it maybe. I like to look up yojijukugo phrases and write them out when I’m feeling stressed.

Ah, you are correct… haha. Well, they are difficult to remember, for sure.

Yeah it feels like there’s an endless number of them, but at least I won’t run out of stuff to write :stuck_out_tongue:

That thread is awesome! Thanks for linking to it!

I have also seen it used to refer to literal telepathic communication as well.