Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

たいぎご【対義語】antonym
どうぎご【同義語】synonym

In class, my Japanese co-teacher asked a student for the antonym of a certain word. Then, the student asked him what 対義語 meant. This surprised me because (I think) we usually learn the words synonym and antonym early on and it was pretty odd for a 15-year-old to ask what that was in his native tongue.

/endstory

必. (ひつ|certainty, definitiveness)

Learned it today with the heart (心) radical. I don’t know what WK might use for the mnemonic, but what immediately struck me was the obvious symbolism. Remember what we said as kids?

“Cross my heart and hope to die.”

This kanji is literally a slash through a heart. Which would definitely kill you.

みなみ. I knew the kanji and On’yomi readings, but for some reason I could never until recenty I just couldnt remember minami. What’s worse is that I’m from New Zealand, land of really creative place names and our second main island is called the south island, its been an issue for a while now, especially as I live in Japan.

I didn’t learn the words themselves, but the combo.

脂肪 (しぼう) - fat
燃焼 (ねんしょう) - burning; combustion​

脂肪が燃焼する - to burn fat :muscle::heart:

While I’m at it, here’s a freebie:

腕立て伏せ (うでたてふせ) - push-up
腹筋(ふっきん) - sit up
スクワット - squat

All する verbs.

Probably worth noting that this is also used to refer to the abdominal muscles themselves.

right? yeah, I’m pretty sure I’m right.

you’re right. it means abdominal muscles.

Oshiri (お尻)

I get to study new words every day! :smile:

When I get all those, maybe I’ll tackle the next project:

病人食 (びょうにんしょく) - diet for the sick; diet for patients​

@FlyingPenguin97

クラクラ (dizzy, giddy)

How I’m going to feel before and after those 60 damn radicals appear in my review queue again haha

I’ve known the word for a long time, but was just re-introduced to the kanji for 麒麟(キリン - a giraffe or, more relevant to the kanji, a mythological Chinese beast resembling a deer) and find it kinda hilarious. It’s just 鹿 twice with 其 and 粦 thrown in there for phonetics. Something about that gets me.

Thank you for these. I plan to use if to ask for the opposite of words. However Google is really bad with たいぎご…

Yikes!

Also, when asking for antonyms of words, I usually go 〜の反対はなんですか?Hopefully, you’ll get better answers than what Google sensei gave. 〜(><)〜

Today was 比較級 (ひかくきゅう) and 最上級 (さいじょうきゅう) meaning comparative (i.e. adjective degree) and superlative, respectively. Three guesses what my second years were learning in English class today. :joy:

That is hilarious. If you have an android phone, I use a dictionary called akebi which usually lists known/accepted antonyms, like if I search 時計回り it will offer 反時計回り (clockwise and anti-clockwise) which has been handy for building my vocabulary deck.

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll check it out.

It came up in a Touhou doujin game I was translating for fun as Koakuma made a joke about Keine’s horns. Threw me off for a second. And then I also thought of Tsunomon.

鏃 (やじり) arrowhead

Confusing since when I heard it I just assumed it means the rear of the arrow. It can also be written as you’d expect, 矢尻, but that seems to be less common.

円周率えんしゅうりつ – Pi! π

ワープロ馬鹿

Someone who can’t write kanji by hand due to over-reliance on IME and such.

In the japanese dictionaries though you might encounter 類義語 or the abbreviation [類]more often. For antonyms [対] is short for 対義語 as well.