Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

It doesn’t appear as a standalone-kanji word, but that’s not really related to it not having a kunyomi. Onyomi standalone-kanji words are abundant.

1 Like

So I finally learned 準備 and 基本 (preparation) and (basics) respectively at work, and it added a lot of context to what people were saying about the new students at our school. :sweat_smile:

I knew this from 逆転裁判 (ぎゃくてんさいばん, reversal trial), the Japanese name for Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. I also learned異議あり(いぎあり, objection) from that game.
Some other video game words I’ve learned not taught in wanikani:
首謀者 (しゅぼうしゃ, mastermind)
論破 (ろんぱ, refutation)
魔導師 (まどうし, sorcerer)
幻獣 (げんじゅう, eidolon)

2 Likes

I like this webite for looking up yojijukugo.

Recently I’ve been coming across them in practices tests for level 4 of the Kanken.

1 Like

I saw your post yesterday and thought “neat word, but I will probably never use it”. Then today I received an email from a Shugendo monk containing this word. Thanks to you, I could read and understand it ^^

2 Likes

I know the feels bro

6 Likes

Chuckling over the fact that

無茶 (むちゃ) is ‘absurd’ in Japanese. Imagining all those ancient samurais all flabbergasted and offended over the lack of tea.

9 Likes

悪因悪果(あくいんあっか)evil breeds evil
still the coolest thing ive learned on WK.

2 Likes

南無・なむ - amen/hail
(如意輪) 観世音・ (にょいりん) かんぜおん (or 観音・かんのん) - kannon, guanyin, avalokitesvara, the boddhisatva of compassion
菩薩・ぼさつ - boddhisatva

some friends of mine who’re visiting japan atm sent me a picture of a shrine in asakusa with a banner with this written on it and i had to know >.>

3 Likes

趣味 - しゅみ - hobby

As in 趣味でヒーロー (a hero for fun)

1 Like

パクる - to plagiarize
パクツイ - posting a stolen joke on twitter to try to get retweeted/followed a bunch yourself

people will call out パクツイ in the replies with all sorts of memes like

japanese twitter slang is really something else…

7 Likes

I had no idea Katakana could be used as the stem of verbs! It’s probably rather rare and very internet-的.

Most recent word I learned was from a wanikani lesson! 写す / うつす - to copy

so wheat is 麦 and mugiwara is wheat straw? Where is the “hat” part?

what do you mean?

Mugiwara no Luffy from One Piece, I am talking about… he is Strawhat Luffy.

Well the full name for the straw hat is 麦わら帽子/むぎわらぼうし, I wouldn’t be surprised if the 帽子 part was just removed for brevity.

Thank you for that.

サボる and ダブる are rather common outside of internet slang! most of them are tho, like ググる, ブログる, トラブる, disる …

2 Likes

And these must be godan verbs, no? Or are they by some weird exception ichidan anyways?

yeah they’re all godan. (hint, ichidan verbs always have an い or え sound before the る and it’s always either part of okurigana or of a 1-kana kanji reading)

1 Like