Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

いいえ、JPくんはいつも最高ですよ!

3 Likes

っミス先輩が最高よ!!

4 Likes

hmm。。。悪賢いじゃない?

春夏秋冬. It’s such a lovely word, but I don’t understand the difference between it and 四季。

Today I looked up 多様性 (tayousei)
Which means diversity!

I still have to see it in context tho…

3 Likes

I just encountered 下旬(げじゅん)meaning “the last third of a month”. Honestly this is one of those oddly specific words that sounds super useful.

3 Likes

Yeah, level 37 has the whole set of first, middle, last 10 days of the month words.

2 Likes

Ah, I just learned 下旬 in the past level or so on WK, so look forward to that! It does seem specific along with 中旬 and 上旬, but definitely good to know.

edit: leebo’d…rip

3 Likes

dang i got leeboed on my way to point out what level that’s coming up on, but i still get to post that i already knew this kanji reading for free :3

3 Likes

You’ll see 上旬, 中旬, and 下旬 in some restaurants (esp. in places that serve seasonal dishes).
I first encountered them ordering tempura in Kyoto in March.

Still, they’re not exactly seen all the time.

Today I learned 痺れる(しびれる)which has two meanings but you can use it to say your leg has fallen asleep!

5 Likes

Words I was able to catch in conversation over the past couple days.

帰国子女(きこくしじょ)school children who have returned from abroad
交換留学(こうかんりゅうがく)(student) exchange; study abroad
難民(なんみん) refugee
華僑(かきょう)overseas Chinese; Chinese living abroad
お金儲け(おかねもうけ)profit making; moneymaking; money making
儲かる(もうかる)turn a profit
億万長者(おくまんちょうじゃ)billionaire
百万長者(ひゃくまんちょうじゃ)millionaires
嫁(よめ)daughter‐in‐law (besides wife and bride)
側近(そっきん)a close adviser 《of the President》, those close to 《the Prime Minister》.
国家主席(こっかしゅせき)head of state​
習近平(しゅうきんぺい)Xi Jinping
中間選挙(ちゅうかんせんきょ)midterm election
民主党(みんしゅとう)Democratic Party
共和党(きょうわとう)Republican Party、GOP
逆転(ぎゃくてん)be reversed, be inverted
貿易戦争(ぼうえきせんそう)trade wars; trade war; trade battle
エルサレム Capital of Israel、Jerusalem
ヘブライ語(ヘブライご)Hebrew
移転する(いてんする)move 《from, to, into》, 《主に英国で用いられる》 move house
人気取り(にんきとり)bid for popularity; publicity stunt
減税(げんぜい)tax cut; tax reduction
納税する(のうぜいする)pay one’s taxes
納税額(のうぜいがく)the amount of one’s taxes [of taxes that one has to pay]
属人主義(ぞくじんしゅぎ)principle of personal jurisdiction
属地主義(ぞくちしゅぎ)principle of territoriality; territoriality principle; territorial principle
帰化する(きかする)be naturalized 《as a Japanese citizen》.
おぼつかない uncertain、unsure、dubious、doubtful、vague、faint
おてんば tomboy
善玉菌(ぜんだまきん)good bacteria

5 Likes

I used it with Japanese people before. Their reaction was like “how the **** do you know that?”

Worth it

7 Likes

Same meaning, but 春夏秋冬 is more poetic ^^

踏み倒す - to trample underfoot obviously, but also to cheat paying a bill. learned in the context of netrunner card combos :wink: i love the imagery!

1 Like

@MissMisc @Penthesilea
It’s also one of those “standard” words they usually teach you in order to retain kanji readings, like 東西南北(とうざいなんぼく)

2 Likes

Although the only other word with ざい for 西 that comes to mind for me is 古今東西, another one with that specific “east-west” portion (and also another yojijukugo). How often does ざい appear in other words?

Yeah, I think it’s pretty rare. Can’t think of any other words with ざい right now. And I’m also trying to remember other words like those, which are helpful to retain some readings but you’ll rarely use in everyday life.

By the way, are you using any specific resource to study yojijukugo?

老若男女 is a typical one

So, I’m not sure this Kanji counts, but it’s close enough right?

On: り(Ri)
Kun: No Kun Reading. I’m not sure if this means it can’t be used standalone but I’m posting it anyways.
Meaning: Lapis Lazuli, Glassy