Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

Yea I’m not sure how common it is, but it seems like it’d be a common thing for an Argot or Can’t / 隠語

栄養不良 (えいようふりょう) - malnutrition :eyes:

1 Like

How does it work? Do you have to press each button a bunch of times to access the other kana?

Learned 緊急 (きんきゅう), the standard word for “emergency”/“urgent,” yesterday from a one-two punch of a school announcement and reading a chapter of Dragon Ball that night. Feels like a pretty big lexical hole, so I’m surprised it took me this long to learn. I noticed today that it’s also a default optional page overlay in the Japanese version of Microsoft Word.

Oh! That’s from Hayao Miyazaki’s Castle in the Sky. It’s the spell of destruction that the characters say while holding her pendant. (You should watch it.)_
There’s also this tradition that whenever you watch Castle in the Sky in theaters, you’re supposed to tweet バルス at the very moment that the characters say it, and apparently some sort of world record was created because of that.

1 Like

Today I learned 啓蟄 けいちつ “time period when spring sunlight warms the ground and insects that went underground during winter crawl out of the ground.”

3 Likes

A friend just taught me 派手な(はで)after I threatened to make him wear a party hat in public on his birthday. I showed him a picture and he said “派手な帽子ですね”.

He said it means “showy” or “loud”. I get the feeling he doesn’t want to wear the hat…

For the central kanji (the ~a one) you just press the button, and for the others you press and then move your finger in the indicated direction. On the iPhone, if you click and hold, it shows you four buttons around the central one so you know what to do. I guess it is similar for Android.

1 Like

Started playing Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet last night and learnt 零, “zero”, literally from the tutorial. I do wonder, however, how often it is used; I get the feeling ゼロ might be more popular.

末裔 まつえい descendant.
I knew 子孫 (and I even heard 子々孫々 “all one’s descendants”), but it always nice to find new synonyms.
Also, that kanji what’s up with that? Go home, kanji, you’re drunk.

6 Likes

罠 wana (trap), hyougaiji

I learned it from Harry Potter.

3 Likes

You can hold the button and move your finger in the direction of the kana you want. I actually find it much better and more natural than typing with romaji and it leads to far less mistakes too!

2 Likes

What ime are you using?

Built in lg one

The built-in ones are usually the worst… But it depends

血判 (けっぱん) - signed in blood

from this scene in the movie “Sanjuro

Dubiously useful, but it’s made up of two kanji I already know from WK. I picked it out because one character exclaims “血判です!”

4 Likes

かりそめ temporary, transient.

Saw this written in kana in a Japanese person’s instagram post but I guess 仮初め would be the kanji. I think this word sounds really pretty. And oh man, do I need to catch up on all the other words I can already read too thanks to WK.

3 Likes

惑星科学 (planetary science). I stumbled upon the word planet in an example sentence and scrolled too far down when looking it up in an online dictionary, thereby encountering this word.

魔 from watching an anime

The fact that 便所 is toilet in Japanese is cracking me up so hard

3 Likes