Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

Nah you didn’t do bad, I’d rather have a point like that iterated and it cement in my brain than for someone to assume I understood the nuance and I ended up learning it incorrectly.

Now did Korone use the potential form of 取る or the dictionary form 取れる? :upside_down_face:

Potential. :thinking:

Not to be caught, but to be able to catch, right?

1 Like

The potential form of 取る.

It’s listed as a separate meaning but that’s probably just to make it clear that despite the other meanings it can still be the potential form of 取る. My monolingual dictionary doesn’t list “to be obtainable” as a separate meaning, just this:

㊁〘自他下一〙〔「取る」の可能形〕とることができる。「金メダル が/を 取れたら最高です」「このフィルムは露光不足でもきれいに撮れる」 →取る

2 Likes

It’s noteworthy enough to be listed as its own definition though.

To me if they’re giving it a distinct line, it’s taken on a specific nuance.

1 Like

Interesting, I must have missed that (or it just wasn’t listed in the dictionary I checked - I’ve notice they can vary quite a bit).

That does seem a lot more specific than just “取る but potential” for sure.

True, every dictionary has to decide where to draw the line on things, so it might not be included in some.

1 Like

This would be とれる as a separate intransitive verb though, right?

OK, after some thought, I think both meanings work, and it’s kinda up to context. If something is typically ‘obtained’ somewhere, it tends to be ‘obtainable’ in that place. I’d say the ‘formal’ meaning is ‘to be obtained/extracted’, but it can be interpreted as ‘to be obtainable’.

Side note: doesn’t really help that the traditional particle after the object of a potential verb is apparently が, not を (though neither is really wrong, except perhaps with できる), so there’s plenty of overlap possible :laughing:

1 Like

Every new piece of information is like a lightbulb for my daily life now aa Thank you so much!! I thought they all just had compi (compus in plural?) and I thought that was advanced math for elementary schoolers but if they have so many 定規 for different lines it makes so much more sense

Takoboto stays winning. :sunglasses:

I just learned シカト, which is Yakuza slang for ignoring someone. And that it comes from the aloof appearance of the hanafuda deer!

EDIT: This is from 日本人の知らない日本語, which is a really cool manga that contains all sorts of little facts like these!

8 Likes

i want to go home

参道 - road leading up to a shrine
プラスマイナスゼロ、プラマイゼロ - no loss and no gain
進化論 - theory of evolution
間違い探し - spot the difference puzzle

3 Likes

一目惚れ - love at first sight
鈍色 - dark gray
初夏 - early summer

4 Likes

鵺的 - chimeric, sphinx-like

3 Likes

Ah, so that’s how you write ‘nue’ from Shield Hero. I thought it was just some beast that the author had made up for the novel.

By the way, it seems like 鵺的, when applied to a person, means ‘mysterious/enigmatic’ or refers to someone whose true character or identity is unknown.

2 Likes

It’s also one of ふしぐろ’s (呪術廻戦) 式神. Fortunately, this one is an actual word, because 玉犬 (ぎょくけん) is made-up.

Interesting! I actually had to take a trip to Jisho to confirm what 鵺 even is. Also, trivia, there is an idol group called 鵺.

2 Likes

I like yokai.com for “what the heck is that mythical creature?” lookups…

4 Likes

It looked decidedly more imposing in Nioh

4 Likes

Bookmarked! :pray:
This is an especially good resource for stuff like Jujutsu Kaisen and Noragami.

2 Likes

賊 - ぞく-Thief

I’ve seen the Kanji in the Japanese title of Shantae and the pirates curse.

海賊 かいぞく means pirate BTW.

Anyway, learned the word in Fire Emblem, when I had to fight them.

5 Likes