Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

うしざき - execution by tying a persons limbs to runaway cows. From Hell’s Paradise.

5 Likes

However I look at 出, I see a cactus:

5 Likes

触らぬ神に祟りなし (さわらぬきかみにたたりなし) - The spirit you do not approach will not curse you, Let sleeping dogs lie, etc
餌食 (えじき) - prey, victim
おちょくる - to make fun of someone, tease, etc

I’ve been forgetting to put where I learned these words lol. This batch is courtesy of the Prince of Tennis Switch game, specifically Hirakoba Rin’s Ambition level 6, chapter 1. As a bonus have some Okinawa-ben

さんけー - don’t do X, informal - equivalent is すんな

• 無視さんけー = don’t ignore me

やまとう - mainland - equivalent is 本土 (ほんど)

• 本土では言うやし = as they say on the mainland

やっけー - troublesome - equivalent is 厄介 (やっかい)

• ケンカ好きの鶏頭は厄介だばーよ = that fight-loving silver cock’s comb is troublesome (he’s referring to a character with hair styled that way, is it normal for people to do that or is it just anime characters lol)
3 Likes

Today I’ve had one of those incredible moments of realization, I have memorized some words from the Genki textbook without really knowing what the kanji that compose them mean.

Today I’ve learned that 病 means Sick, then I was like mhhh this sounds familiar then bam it clicked I already knew that 院 means Institution so I was like GODDAMN hospital is literally Institution for the Sick!

This word will stay forever burned in my mind after this.

7 Likes

葛藤 かっとう - conflict, complication, troubles, discord

夜更かししたい、けど眠い。大人の葛藤。

3 Likes

陸上自衛隊、陸自 - Japan Ground Self-Defense Force (bold of 怪獣8号’s author to assume readers know what this is :joy: )
有事 - emergency
防衛隊 - defense squad (I kept reading the second kanji がい as in 中華街, but it’s えい as in 衛星)

In video games “defense” as a stat is often 防御 or 防御力, though.

4 Likes

ダメ元 = giving something a try because it will not do any harm​

6 Likes

窪む - to cave in, to be sunken

4 Likes

二度寝 = going back to sleep :zzz: also works with する as a verb

9 Likes

狐 (キツネ) - fox

2 Likes

根菜 (こんさい) root vegetables

5 Likes

ジョッキ - mug, typically used to hold beer
From Prince of Tennis manga

3 Likes

兇行 - violence

3 Likes

It might not be the exact last word I’ve learned, but I did see it again today: 魑魅魍魎, which I think just looks really cool/cursed. “evil spirits of rivers and mountains” according to jisho. 救う as well, but it’s not as neat :slight_smile:

5 Likes

鬱陶しい - gloomy

that first kanji, tho… send for the royal calligrapher!

3 Likes

どの言語ですか。:thinking:

Imiwaによると、英語の「jug」からです。でも、「stein」のほうがいいと思います。。。

4 Likes

家出いえで - running away from home

Interestingly, grabbed this by hearing it in context while watching an anime.

5 Likes

洗剤 - detergent
掃除屋 - cleaner, cleaning staff
家訓 - house rules

3 Likes

Did you have subs on?