Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

Death Note, published in 2005, 2012.

Manga shot

From what I have searched, it seems to be the preferred Kana for only the word 女房 and related compound words.

3 Likes

盗み撮り、隠し撮り - taking photos in secret
There are similar expressions with the same readings, but using the 録 kanji to refer to secret audio recordings.

Not the same as 盗聴 - wiretapping

1 Like

盗撮 in another one, in some, er… genre.

2 Likes

借りてきた猫 - someone who suddenly becomes quiet/docile.

7 Likes

Just found 読みふける in a book. meaning to be absorbed in/engrossed in reading
Needless to say, it’s my new favorite word

9 Likes

Most recent one is a phrase, not a word, but it’s 伏せる, which means “to lie down/crouch”.
I learned it from a WK thread that I read today, along with the fact that it’s an intransitive verb.

3 Likes

It’s not inherently imperative, that commenter just meant that particular example manga sentence was using the imperative form…

5 Likes

代わりに - “instead”. Learned it this morning when I asked for yogurt instead of natto at breakfast.

I love Japanese food and I am fairly adventurous but natto fully falls into WTF catergory for me.

5 Likes

コンクール = contest / competition – Remembering is problematic too, so I think of contest + cool (だぜ) for now. I don’t know French (real origin).

4 Likes

Funny enough my mother tongue has “konkurs” which might share the French origin of this one.

狂犬 - mad dog
I kind of want to believe it means “rabid dog”, but probably not…
銃剣 - bayonet

3 Likes

:grin:

3 Likes

One Japanese definition is 狂犬病にかかった犬, so yeah, it does :smile:

GUN SWORD

4 Likes

I found a similar word in today’s reading session :eyes:

読書三昧(どくしょざんまい)being absorbed in reading

4 Likes

Looks like this time my intuition didn’t fail me, I failed my intuition :joy:

6 Likes

Concurso. :sunglasses:

1 Like

構わない 「かまわない」

Summary

no problem, it doesn’t matter

5 Likes

I see… thanks for the correction.
Will remove the error to avoid confusion

Learned this word from this week’s reading of Hunter x Hunter:
りとあらゆる = every conceivable; every single; every possible; all kinds of​

In Jisho, it shows that it appears in the word: ありとあらゆる種類の食材を含んだ料理, a description of the Greek word:

Lopado­temacho­selacho­galeo­kranio­leipsano­drim­hypo­trimmato­silphio­parao­melito­katakechy­meno­kichl­epi­kossypho­phatto­perister­alektryon­opte­kephallio­kigklo­peleio­lagoio­siraio­baphe­tragano­pterygon
( λοπαδο­τεμαχο­σελαχο­γαλεο­κρανιο­λειψανο­δριμυ­ποτριμματο­σιλφιο­καραβο­μελιτο­κατακεχυμενο­κιχλε­πικοσσυφο­φαττο­περιστερα­λεκτρυο­νοπτο­κεφαλλιο­κιγκλο­πελειο­λαγῳο­σιραιο­βαφητραγανοπτερύγων)

= “name of a dish compounded of all kinds of dainties, fish, flesh, fowl, and sauces” (apparently the longest word to appear in literature).

10 Likes

Not a new word, but haven’t seen this reading like ever
お婆ちゃん
also
氣 as alternative to 気

3 Likes

伏線(ふくせん)ー Foreshadowing.

4 Likes