Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

じょうろ - 如雨露 - watering pot

4 Likes

日本
Japan
日- sun
本-origin
Land of the rising sun

As of recently I’ve primarily been learning not very exciting words that use simple kanji like 京師、笑止、一日千秋 or just medical terms, but I just came across 矍鑠 which is pretty neat. Two kanji ive never seen before.

Also not really a word, but 幽霊の正体見たり枯れ尾花 as well.

1 Like

I was messing around on a Japanese webpage earlier and I stumbled upon a login page and realised the log in button said
“ログインする”
which I guess makes sense, する just means to do, so it makes ‘login’ into a verb (to login) but I hadn’t really thought about it before so I’ll put it here anyway

4 Likes

実入り - みいり - crop harvest, income

Makes sense. Fruit, insert. Harvesting crops or acquiring something of value.

6 Likes

か細い - かぼそい - skinny; fragile

So mean of this word to start with what looks like a particle :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

You see it and remember it or forget it and look it up again next time :smiley:

I don’t have time for any more SRS, I never SRS’d English words and grew my vocabulary anway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

income*

はいり is inserting
いり is entering (or content, or as it is used here, income)

()(まい)()(はん) = man who is both handsome and fun

Seems to originate from 2.5枚目 = (二枚目 + 三枚目) / 2

1 Like

ぽかぽか pleasant warmth like a mildly breezy day with warm sunshine (aka today)
ホカホカ soft and pleasant like perfectly cooked fluffy rice
(went with the ime’s first choice)

2 Likes

チャイ, which is indeed (ちゃ), but from India / Central, Near and Middle East Asia, and is boiled milked red tea with spices

2 Likes

抜ける ・ ぬける ・ to fall out
祠 ・ ほこら ・ small shrine (been watching so many BOTW playthroughs I’m never gonna forget this one)

2 Likes

小さい子

little kids

Is this reading literally ryou psycho

Are you asking about the reading of 小さい子? 小さい is “chiisai”, so there’s no ryou.

チー 最高!

2 Likes

Ya. :person_facepalming:678910

すう学/Mathematics(Study of math)
I should’ve been learned it, but I surprisingly just found out about the word when writing new folder labels for school.

1 Like

横腹 - flank

The side (横) of your belly 腹) is your flank, or simply your side.

Readings: よこばら / よこっぱら

The reading is the kun’yomi readings of either kanji put together, but there’s a rendaku as well. The second reading is usually rendered in kanji as 横っ腹 with a small つ, allowing you to distinguish either readings easily.

Now go put something on your cat’s flank, will ya?

1 Like

演劇 - drama; theatre; theater; play

I teach in Japan and my students have a culture activity, when I asked what they were doing teachers were saying that students will watch a drama. Now, drama typically means the genre of TV shows. However, I found out later they meant we’re all going to the theater to watch a play!

1 Like

Earlier today I forgot the word 動員, then I encountered it twice in the Japanese news and was able to understand much more as a result. Ol’ Baader-Meinhof, at it again!

4 Likes