Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

案外・あんがい which is an adverb that from what I understand is a more natural way to say “unexpectedly” than Wanikani’s early offering of 意外.

飛び上がる・跳び上がる・とびあがる - A verb for leaping/jumping up which is used in the set phrase 飛び上るほど(嬉しかった・びっくりした・おどろいた): I was so happy I jumped for joy/so surprised I jumped.

Both from ~N3-level study materials.

Obviously I know 聞く, but this is my first time seeing, or at least noticing, 聴 being used. Learned 囁き and 囁くtoo which for some reason jisho marks as usually being in kana but that is definitely not my experience. Also just found 孕む. I believe all of these use kanji that arent on this site.

@Vanilla - No kidding, I learned 聴く on Monday this week from one of the Japanese English teachers I work with. It was pretty embarrassing to not have realized there were two situational kanji for 聞く before. I’ve already noticed it a couple times since then.

3 Likes

Do you know what happens when you put a pig in a river? A puffer fish! 河豚 :smiley:

I learned 色覚異常 「しきかくいじょう」today. I finally got tired of explaining in a roundabout way that I have color deficiency, not blindness, so I looked up how to say it:

WaniKani has 色盲 at level 57 apparently, but that covers only black-white vision. Although, there is a movement to change 色覚異常 since 異常 is a negative term.

3 Likes

Finally I learned the word for “sharp” as in “a sharp knife”.:hocho:
In the dictionary and Wanikani, “sharp” = 鋭い(するどい),
but I never heard it in the real world in relation to knives, swords, scissors etc.
After going to a knife factory in Niigata, I realized that the word is 切れ味(きれあじ) which is basically “cutting ability”.

• A sharp knife:
    切れ味がいいナイフ(alt. 切れ味のいいナイフ)
  • A dull knife:
    切れ味が悪いナイフ(alt. 切れ味の悪いナイフ)

鋭い(するどい)is used for pointy things such as the edge of a knife, claws of a cat, teeth of a piranha etc.
It is also used for “a sharp look”, “a sharp mind”, “a sharp argument” and similar which (in my personal experience) is the most common usage of the word :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

旅程 (りょてい) = itinerary; travel plans​ :slight_smile:

They just differ in their usage. This is a good explanation of the two.

3 Likes

癒し

I saw it quite a bit but never bothered to learn what it meant or how it was read. If anyone has a good way to remember the reading, hmu. I can remember what it means just because of how much I have seen it, but reading is eh.

1 Like

I started a playthrough of ムジュラの仮面 last night and いやしの歌 is one of the first songs you learn.

3 Likes

Have you heard of 癒し系 genre of anime like Aria or Flying Witch. That’s where it comes from.

4 Likes

Thanks to this conversation, I just learned 癒し犬, which seems like a pretty critical word for me to know at this point…

Weird. There was another word I learned that someone else just said they learned and like yesterday I used an example sentence within an hour that someone posted that exact word somewhere on here.

So thats like 3 times in 2 days now? The hell…

Never heard of that when referring to anime, but I know 癒し系. It wouldnt come up on my ime earlier which is annoying, but I set it to.

It basically refers to anime with soothing environments meant to really take in the comfortable atmosphere and soft characters. Kind of like Slice of Life, but with ideas that make you feel warm such as helping at a farm for an episode or scenery like this

imageimage

Yeah, I already knew about いやす from my girlfriend, who uses いやされる to talk about seeing those kinds of pleasant or soothing things, like lounging cat videos or something.

Want to express homesickness without katakana, but you resent that Koichi tricked you into learning 里心? Try 郷愁 (きょうしゅう). It appears more times in the BCCWJ than 里心 AND ホームシック combined.

7 Likes

I just came across
夜伽 “attending” a man all night long
悶絶 passing out from pain/agony

Needless to say, that book was fun times galore.

2 Likes

上手

I’ve known the word for a while, but just learned the kanji.

1 Like

Somehow 癒やし is odd to me in that 卑しい means a totally different thing.

Just remember いや… which is negative to me…

BTW, I remember 癒やし from 癒やして that I have seen before in Twitter and in a 同人誌 title.

Also BTW, 癒し系 is a relatively new word to me. I only have heard of 萌え.

1 Like

The other day, I find the word 執行猶予 in a manga. Also, I don’t understand the word indictment one bit.

1 Like

乱交

I’m sure this one will come in super useful.

Sorry.

2 Likes

You learned うわて?

Thanks for the explanation! I couldn’t quite tell from the examples I had. The usage difference makes total sense.