Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

接格 - adessive case

3 Likes

Playing Knights Chronicle a bit and found this while reading one of the character attacks:
陰陽 - yin and yang
also:
盗掘 - illegal digging
廃坑 - disused/abandoned mine
初耳 - hearing something for the first time

For a teen game it’s surprisingly complicated with all of the bonuses and team combos :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Read the prelude for 転生したらスライムだった件 and these are the words I didn’t know right off the bad or couldn’t guess from context.

察する・さっする ー 1. to guess; to sense; to presume; to judge​
2. to sympathize with; to sympathise with

賢者・けんじゃ ー 1. wise person; sage

亀裂・きれつ ー 1. crack; crevice; fissure; chap; rift

茫然自失・ぼうぜんじしつ ー 1. stupor; stupefaction; trance; (being) dumbfounded

霞む・かすむ ー 1. to become misty; to become hazy​Usually written using kana alone, esp. 霞む
2. to get blurry; to grow dim​Usually written using kana alone, esp. 翳む
3. to be overshadowed; to be upstaged; to be outshone

耐性・たいせい ー 1. resistance (e.g. to antibiotics); tolerance (e.g. drug tolerance)

3 Likes

馬が合う

You’ll have to watch the video for the meaning. :wink:

9 Likes

@ChristopherFritz, 馬が合う exists elsewhere! Spirits restored! :rofl: (sorry, not intending to derail)

To be in the spirit of the thread, my most recently learned word:

ライナスの毛布: Security blanket; comfort blanket; comfort object

220px-Linus_van_Pelt

8 Likes

I learned a new English word today

3 Likes

(Re-)learned 果実 (かじつ) this morning when listening to YUI’s song CH.E.R.RY
from the lyric 甘くなる果実がいいの

5 Likes

ご冥福をお祈りします ごめいふくをおいのりします, which means “May they rest in peace”.

Hopefully I don’t have to use it very much.

3 Likes

I came across an idiom today: 水を差す. Seems like it is used as a way of saying to “dampen the mood”

7 Likes

うなずく - to nod; to bow one’s head in assent
辿たどる - to follow a road; to follow a hyperlink (URL)

4 Likes

てるてるぼう - Paper doll to which children pray for fine weather (usu. white, and shaped like a Buddhist priest)

Learned this today from Yuki from “Comprehensible Japanese.” The doll can be hung upside down if you want rain instead.

8 Likes

It is the arms that are up. Think of what people do when they shout 万歳!!
(think also about “thumbs up” expression. but here it is the arms)

Interesting, in French there is word for word the same expression with the same double meaning: “sous la surface de l’eau”. Wonder if one isn’t the copy of the other (maybe trough Chinese)

7 Likes

I’d love to hear the story behind this. :slight_smile:

3 Likes
Story

A couple of months ago, I finished my first full manga series, and it was absolutely full of random idioms and expressions (五等分の花嫁) and sometimes even changing those expressions slightly for joke purposes/emphasis (that was fun to track down). The author was particularly fond of using 馬が合う throughout the series, and the last few volumes especially, it felt like it came up more often (though perhaps it was just frequency illusion because I had seen it enough times to just learn it outright :laughing:).

When talking about finishing the series, I had joked that I had seen it literally nowhere else at that point, so having memorized it was probably useless. ChristopherFritz has a method of indexing their manga in a way it is easily searchable, so I jokingly asked them to make me feel better about having learned it by showing me examples of it showing up elsewhere. There was only one result, as opposed to the usual four or five examples that would come up. :rofl:

So seeing it again just makes me laugh a bit, and I’m happy to see there’s at least a chance I’ll be seeing it more. :laughing:

Most recently learned word:

八つ当たり( やつあたり): venting one’s anger; taking one’s anger out on someone/ something

6 Likes

I came across another interesting(?) idiom today. Apparently some girls use お花摘み as a way of saying they need to use the bathroom. When I first saw it in my reading, I was so confused why they were randomly talking about flower picking until I looked it up :joy:

7 Likes

盗人 - thief, robber
盗人猫 - thieving cat (also metaphorically)

4 Likes

I just learned the grammar point “なくてはいけない” and I was like, “Oh cool. Japanese people are so compelled to speak in an indirect manner that they employ double negatives.”

2 Likes

Yeah. They’re not uncommon. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A gem I found:
凸凹コンビ - odd couple

10 Likes

That one took me a long time to finally get in my head, especially since there are variations and the latter half can be omitted.

4 Likes