Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

I got a few:

運動する - to exercise
民族 - ethnicity
歯医者 - tooth doctor, I mean, dentist
温泉 - hot spring
空港 - sky harbor, I mean, airport

What kind of products were you reading reviews for

:face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Good thing is only the 4th meaning! :sweat_smile:

As a matter of fact, I highly doubt that there is any word in any language, which couldn’t have “adult” meaning in some context… :thinking:

P. S. Not to derail: 征服 is the latest word I found out.

1 Like

Whoops, that must have been craigslist.jp. I study there some times too…:upside_down_face::turtle:

解放 (かいほう) - Release, liberation

I saw it on a Japanese blog about vocab

1 Like

Gon!!! Also, 濁すーにごすーto make muddy

1 Like

陰口 ( かげぐち ); talking behind someone’s back, nasty talk, malicious gossip. Picked it up from watching Paranoia Agent. ^^

3 Likes

Just figured out that

王女 おうじょ
女王 じょおう

are literally their kanji readings smushed together.

2 Likes

月食 - Lunar Eclipse, relevant to today

2 Likes

さとり as in Satori Reader. Never thought to bother looking that word up and then was reading Jack Kerouac’s Dharma Bums on the train today and saw it come up as a Japanese Buddhist word meaning sudden spiritual awakening. (Above gif also applies here.)

扇風機 - せんぷうき - Electric fan. I think it sounds cute.

1 Like

百卒長・ひゃくそつちょう
Centurion.

海豚 (いるか / イルカ) - dolphin :dolphin:

A got a kick out of the fact that the word is made up of the kanji for “sea pig” :ocean::pig2:

2 Likes

Also, Iruka sensei in Naruto is a dolphin.

胸騒ぎーむなさわぎーvague apprehension, uneasiness.

1 Like

遡る / さかのぼる - To go upstream or “to go back to”

1 Like

年功序列 / ねんこうじょれつ - System of seniority in Japanese companies whereby staff get promoted more on the basis of how long they’ve been there rather than any actual talent or skill. Learned from an interview video on what people think is not kawaii.

3 Likes

I realize this is quickly becoming the thread where I just post whatever I come across, but oh well.

背に腹は替えられぬ - Basically this is "You can’t make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

2 Likes

切磋琢磨ーせっさたくまーcultivate one’s character by studying hard;Diligent application

1 Like

聴く

Obviously I know 聞く, but this is my first time seeing, or at least noticing, 聴 being used. Learned 囁き and 囁くtoo which for some reason jisho marks as usually being in kana but that is definitely not my experience. Also just found 孕む. I believe all of these use kanji that arent on this site.

EDIT: Changed wording that made it sound like someone impregnated me. Also just checked and 聴 is on my level… What are the odds lol

1 Like

万引き <-Shoplifting

4 Likes