Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

Or possibly may-flies? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

蜉蝣(カゲロウ) you mean?

1 Like

物理 - Physics

The science of the reasons (理) why things (物) behave like such and such is physics.

This word uses all on’yomi, so you write it ぶつり. Simple!

3 Likes

目に触れる - to catch one’s attention

百合

It’s not the first time I’ve seen it in the wild, but I think I finally learned it since I no longer try to read it as ひゃくごう lol (I had the same problem with reading 流石 as りゅうせき for a very long time)

1 Like

Most recent I learned “in the wild” was 潰す.
つぶす・to smash, shut down, wreck, butcher, waste
Watched some random Netflix drama and a sketchy politician was using it in reference to squashing a news article he didn’t want published.

It’s kind of basic, but last night I learned ゆき (snow)

1 Like

I prefer the term “Incredibly useful”

3 Likes

Haha yeah that works well too

D’oh. The disadvantage of not being a native English speaker :sweat_smile:

And I somehow didn’t connect “五月 = May” either, lol.

3 Likes

生理
From NHK Easy News.
Very fitting because I just started my own 生理 yesterday. Happy Shark Week to me… :expressionless:

3 Likes

トロッコ問題 - the trolley problem. Yes, that one.

3 Likes

症候群 しょうこうぐん - syndrome

learned this from the anime 「青春ブタ野郎はバニーガール先輩の夢を見ない」

1 Like

It was 青春期症候群, right? :slight_smile:

Good anime, one of my favorite.

()知恵(ぢえ) - suggestion; hint

(literally “inserted wisdom”, from a line in あの花)

1 Like

close, but I think it is actually 思春期症候群

I’ve only watched the first 3-4 episodes, but so far it’s pretty good

1 Like

Oh man, I got so confused that I had to double-check it. Yeah, you’re right, in the show it’s 思春期 which is literally “puberty”, but they call it both “puberty syndrome” and “adolescence syndrome”, while there is also 青春期 (青春の is “adolescent”) in Jisho, but it looks like my IME doesn’t recognize it so it might as well be a dud :confused: .

My bad!

1 Like

No worries, easy to mix those words up. They sound similar and the meanings are similar. Might make for a good tongue-twister…

Today I learned the word 鬣 - たてがみ a very complex kanji for a simple word that means “mane” as in a lion’s mane, or horse mane.

2 Likes

The more kanji you learn, the less complex ones like this appear. It’s really just two “pieces”. The top part ( 髟 ) means long hair. And the lower part is originally a drawing of an animal with a mane.

3 Likes

早退届 - request to leave earlier (from work, school, etc.)
Not exactly fancy, but let’s see what else got added to my Anki decks later.

3 Likes