Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

Watermelon; 西瓜 すいか

Learned it through this very fun Japanese cooking show called “Iron Chef”. I’m glad I changed from dub to sub and picked up some vocab, the dub is terrible (Non-anime/cartoon dubs never match the goshdarn mouth movements, and that annoys me so much!), but border-line so-bad-it’s-good (those Tommy Wiseau levels of voice acting :joy:)

9 Likes

Have you tried watching dubs in Japanese of western shows/movies? They’re no better at matching lip movements in live action.

22 Likes

No, I haven’t, but you’re definitely right about that! Live action dubs are always so awkward and clumsy, no matter what language they’re in. I’m a lighting fast reader, so I don’t have a problem with subs at all, and I’m very glad about that!

5 Likes

Excluding えい - ray (e.g. stingray)

And every single Shiritori answers

I guess the latest I learn is 負けない(まけない) - Won’t be defeated / Won’t lose

5 Likes

読書 (どくしょ) - reading
From my Anki deck. Yes very boring, I know.

I want すいか to be spelled 水果

32 Likes

放射性 ほうしゃせい radioactive

One of my favorite langblr accounts made a word list about the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings on their anniversary and this was the only one I didn’t know.

Btw, if you have a Tumblr account I totally recommend checking out the Langblr -community. It’s pretty wonderful.

6 Likes

As a huge fan of the entire series, I really enjoy it. The Japanese is more difficult than the one in Gyakuten Saiban, but still not overly so in my opinion. I’m currently on the third case and things are starting to get interesting.

6 Likes

考古学者(こうこがくしゃ)archaeologist
(I probably knew this one years ago but it feels new!)

From the first chapter of Ultimate CLAMP Crossover Fetch Quest Partytime Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle.

3 Likes

立小便(たちしょうべん)urinating outdoors
Found it in a picture a friend took while in Japan. 小便 and 大便 are basically the Japanese version of number one and number two, maybe not the most useful vocab to know, but very easy to remember :slight_smile:

7 Likes

A few glittery words from the song 「東京バレエ」 from 土屋昌巳:

煌き (きらめき): sparkle
星屑 (ほしくず): stardust

As a Bowieling, I always appreciate some more stardust in my life ^^

9 Likes

I’m using rosetta stone and this unit is about wanting and need. So I’m happy to say I can finally say “I need water” in Japanese. Actually one very useful unit.

2 Likes

I know a Snarkbucket when I see one :wink:

Most recent word:

把握(はあく) - grasp, understanding

Seen this word a bunch of times but could never quite grasp (har, har) what it meant. Saw it while reading No. 6 and understood it in the wild for the first time :astonished:

4 Likes

真っ白

As in… the color of the 男’s hair who saw something 信じられない just before he 死んだ.

3 Likes

Don’t know how many colours you can do this for in total, but definitely red, black and blue can also take 真 to make them more intense. I learned the first ones a while ago, but 真っ青(まっさお)- also used for like a sickly pale skin colour, I think - was one I learned recently.

8 Likes

【揶揄】やゆ→ i cannot understand what it meaning、i get from kanken game drill ( ˙ө˙)

thanks to net~ some person already asked and give definition~

3 Likes

Now that’s funny, cause I recently learned “西瓜” as well but from “Ao no Exorcist”. thumbs up
And I also learned that there are two words for “exorcist”: 祓魔師 (ふつまし) and エクソシスト.

Thanks for this contribution, I know the word but didn’t know the meaning. :smiley:

4 Likes

一人ぼっち or 一人ぽっち(ひとりぼっち・ひとりぽっち)“all alone”
From a kids’ picture book about a bunny who loses his favorite stuffed animal, and also heard it in a SMAP song.

p.s. @snowflying, thanks for making this thread! While campfire is certainly fun, it’s the informative and motivating topics like this that keep me hanging around here :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

And thanks for contributing! :blush:

一人ぽっち is a good one - I first heard in this song, which was apparently hugely popular like 50 years ago. Never forgot it since - nor the rest of the song, good luck getting it out of your head lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbH754gScuk

7 Likes

結膜炎(けつまくえん)- pink eye

Learned from a WK example sentence. They can be a good source of new vocab, even if you already know the word the sentence was made for :open_mouth:

3 Likes

多変量解析, Multivariate Analysis (I work for IT lol) it’s a mouthful!

2 Likes