Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

Typo thanks

1 Like
きぶんや
気分 屋 - moody person.

I like the idea of viewing a moody person as a “mood seller” :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

On a similar note, there’s 照れ屋さん and 頑張り屋さん for ‘easily embarrassed person’ and ‘hard worker’. I think it’s about being someone (屋) who commonly does something, making it almost like your profession/specialty. Thanks for 気分屋 though. I had no idea it existed. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m a 寒がり屋, can often be found wrapped in blanket

2 Likes

I’m more of a 暑がり屋。

1 Like

18abd9f4

1 Like

Since we’re on the topic of people who are not only houses (家), but also shops (屋) in disguise, I particularly like のんびり屋.

Today I finally learned some useful time expressions with 中. Before I knew 一日中.
午前中 - whole morning, through the entire morning
午後中 - entire afternoon

2 Likes

What does it say you should do about tongue moss??

I think it was just like “hey, this is probably why your breath stinks”

2 Likes

I’m just so excited that I found out I could read the word “gastroenterologist” in Japanese. Was talking about the profession with a friend and googled the word just to see. 消化器病専門医. This seven-character word… I knew all of the kanji in it! It was awesome.

1 Like

Darn, thanks! I was hoping it would have been as interesting information as the word “tongue moss”

確証:Conclusive evidence, definitive proof etc.

脱税:Tax Evasion

3 Likes

This does turn up in JMDict (the source for Jisho) and a few other places if you search for it, but it’s actually quite a rare usage. In fact, I just found two articles in Chinese from teachers of Japanese covering the issue, along with two articles in Japanese in which the same sort of question was asked: ‘Why do we say 午前中, but not 午後中?’ One article was from TBS News, and the other was based on a book published by Sanseido, which also publishes the 大辞林 dictionary. Across these four sources, three factors were mentioned, one of which kinda fails as an argument and was only mentioned by one source, so I’ll mention it first to get it out of the way. Here they are:

1. When using 中 with a time period, the time period’s start point must be clear. (Not true, obviously, because 午前 has two possible meanings, one of which begins at sunrise, which varies depending on the season, and yet 午前中 is common.)
  2. When using 中 with a time period, the time period’s end point must be clear. (Mentioned by three of four sources, including the book about common Japanese language questions from Sanseido.)
  3. 午後中’s meaning of ‘for the rest of the day after 12pm’ is usually covered by 今日中. (Mentioned by two sources. I found this surprising, but interesting nonetheless. In any case, it’s true that most of our time awake is made up of hours in the afternoon and nighttime, so that makes sense.)

So there you go. It seems that 午前中 is idiomatic (i.e. natural in Japanese), but 午後中 is not, and the biggest reason is #2. Here are the Japanese articles I used, for reference:

http://www.tbs.co.jp/radio/kodomotel/word/0015.html

3 Likes

Not sure how I haven’t seen this one before now… but it may be useful to some!

必要に応じて as needed/as necessary

3 Likes

Super big thanks for the insightful analysis :). Yes, reason 2 seems to disallow its usage. To me it sounded as a natural antonym to 午前中 and I would kind of argue that 午後中 does have a fixed start (noon) and end (midnight), but if it doesn’t work then oh well :).

I think this bit was covered by the TBS article that stated that 今日中 or 今日いっぱい would take its place instead. But yeah, it seems that it’s just rare usage for whatever reason. Besides, even in English, the ‘afternoon’ usually is the period until the sun sets, not the period until midnight, even though that would seem to be its literal meaning.

1 Like

the most recent word I learned in Japanese is 越えて (こえて), meaning “to cross over”
the main reason why I learned it was because I found myself listening to the first ending of Legend of the Galactic Heroes, which ending theme is 光の橋を越えて I would assume then the translation would be something like “to cross the bridge of light”

beautiful ending theme btw, i would recommend a listen!

1 Like

I learned 幽玄 (ゆうげん)while studying Tobira, it means something like “subtle and profound beauty”. Sorry, I don’t know how to put furigana.

1 Like

窓外放出 (read as そうがいほうしゅつ) which means defenestration.

2 Likes