Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

Cause when the sake jar is empty, that’s when you’re at your most fashionable. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

緊急事態宣言(きんきゅうじたいせんげん)
meaning: declaration of state of emergency

Picked it up from watching COVID updates in NHK news.

1 Like

Oh geez, yeah, I hadn’t even noticed that! @_@

1 Like

入り込む (いりこむ) to be complicated
込み入る (こみいる) to be complicated

Oh, were you thinking it was going to be really complicated to remember the difference?

6 Likes

同音異義語 - homophone

2 Likes

豆知識・まめちしき・trivia; snippet of knowledge.

Literally “bean of knowledge”?? :laughing: Apparently, 豆 can be used as a noun-prefix with the meaning “tiny; miniature”, hehe that’s cute

4 Likes

I learnt that one from Azumanga Daioh. Someone recounted some kind of trivia about soybeans (I think it was “edamame are actually soybeans” or something), and the response was “that’s not bean-knowledge, that’s knowledge of beans”.

3 Likes

貰う ー もらう ー to take, to have, to make someone
貰 ー もらい ー taken, “in the bag”

通じる

I actually hear and use this word verbally all the time (specifically in regards to language), but just now figured out how it’s written. (^^;

例: 「(その英語が)通じた!」
-What my students say when they try to communicate in English to me.

前途洋洋

A rosy future, promising prospects, an indication of a bright future, a promising future awaits, the world is your oyster, the future is full of hope.

For more see:

1 Like

Not a word but a city, and what a lovely place it seems.

塩尻市

Ah, yes.

Salt-butt city.

Magnificent.

2 Likes

For me it was wasei eigo word コンセント which does not mean “consent”, but a wall socket.
I encountered it in a text book.

4 Likes

Aye, it comes from “concentric”, because power cables used to be coaxial, something like this:

ConcentricPlug-wood_1

3 Likes